PDA

View Full Version : PGA Championship

NJ Stinks
08-11-2011, 01:06 PM
Usually about now I'll be complaining at home that I can't bet on the latest golf major. No such problem in jolly old England! Here are my plays on the outright winner made at William Hill for those interested in watching me suffer! :)

Dustin Johnson - 10 pounds at 28-1
Zach Johnson - 10 pounds at 33-1
Peter Hanson - 8 pounds at 125-1
Steve Stricker - 5 pounds at 28-1

Relwob Owner
08-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Usually about now I'll be complaining at home that I can't bet on the latest golf major. No such problem in jolly old England! Here are my plays on the outright winner made at William Hill for those interested in watching me suffer! :)

Dustin Johnson - 10 pounds at 28-1
Zach Johnson - 10 pounds at 33-1
Peter Hanson - 8 pounds at 125-1
Steve Stricker - 5 pounds at 28-1

I like Dustin and Westwood

cj's dad
08-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Stricker -7 (3 up) thru 16- g'luck

Beachbabe
08-11-2011, 10:09 PM
You have to admit, it's been very, very interesting so far after the first day.

Stricker misses by one of shooting the lowest round in a major.

Tiger starts fast and then the wheels come off shooting 10 over on the last 14 holes.

Ryo goes from the big house to the outhouse in one week...shooting 15 over today.

And Rory gets "brain freeze" at the third and possibly puts his tourney; the year or even a few years in jeopardy trying to play an impossible shot.

Greyfox
08-12-2011, 01:11 AM
I'm still waiting for Justin Rose and Lee Westwood to make some impact...not impossibles. I'm pulling for either one to win, but Stricker would have to come back to the field. Gotta like Stricker's polished demeanor.

Tiger - was furious in his press conference, implying Sean Foley his new teacher caused some of his problems today. Gimmee a break Jake. Where is the supposed "mellowness" that he promised to show in his apology speech a year and a half ago? He was great strictly as a player, but when it comes to class, ....nothing compared to Jack, Arnie, and Gary.

Rory - pure guts to continue on. With one hand he outscored Tiger and he had a real excuse if his shots didn't come off.

Jason Day - gotta luv this kid. He's a golfer.

Phil - he's a battler too. When he's hot, he's hot. Don't count him out.
Bubba - another lefty that is exciting to watch.

098poi
08-12-2011, 06:54 AM
Tiger, Tiger, Tiger
I wish him well but it might be best if he misses the cut so the focus can stay on those in contention. He's probably thinking, "I went to bed one day as Superman and woke up as Clark Kent! When did that happen?"

I hope Rory did no permanent damage to himself and wish him a speedy recovery. :ThmbUp: The course looks so tough there will be a lot more victims before it's over. Should be a great tournament!

Relwob Owner
08-12-2011, 07:25 AM
I'm still waiting for Justin Rose and Lee Westwood to make some impact...not impossibles. I'm pulling for either one to win, but Stricker would have to come back to the field. Gotta like Stricker's polished demeanor.

Tiger - was furious in his press conference, implying Sean Foley his new teacher caused some of his problems today. Gimmee a break Jake. Where is the supposed "mellowness" that he promised to show in his apology speech a year and a half ago? He was great strictly as a player, but when it comes to class, ....nothing compared to Jack, Arnie, and Gary.

Rory - pure guts to continue on. With one hand he outscored Tiger and he had a real excuse if his shots didn't come off.

Jason Day - gotta luv this kid. He's a golfer.

Phil - he's a battler too. When he's hot, he's hot. Don't count him out.
Bubba - another lefty that is exciting to watch.

GF-thanks for the mention abt the Tiger press conference. I will watch it but if he implied any of his issues now are due to his new coach, he has hit a new low. Someone needs to buy him a mirror so he will be able to look in it and see the real reason he has fallen so far.

The amount of younger guys that are blossoming now is perfect timing so that Tiger can go further and further into the rearview mirror if his slide continues.

rastajenk
08-12-2011, 08:06 AM
The amount of younger guys that are blossoming now is perfect timing so that Tiger can go further and further into the rearview mirror if his slide continues.The flipside of that is if he keeps making comebacks of the sort that lead you to believe he's still on the cusp of being great again, and continues to be the main story in spite of the potential achievements of the new guys, which he will. Think Bret Favre. :D I've been more of a Woods supporter through all this than most people, but even I wouldn't want to see 10 more years of a Woods-dominated golf world if he's not really accomplishing anything, at the expense of the players that are.

DJofSD
08-12-2011, 12:06 PM
120 people so far treated for heat related problems. And these are the spectators.

Hot-lanta, phew!

Striker
08-12-2011, 12:26 PM
GF-thanks for the mention abt the Tiger press conference. I will watch it but if he implied any of his issues now are due to his new coach, he has hit a new low. Someone needs to buy him a mirror so he will be able to look in it and see the real reason he has fallen so far.

The amount of younger guys that are blossoming now is perfect timing so that Tiger can go further and further into the rearview mirror if his slide continues.
Relwob- This is what I was talking about that he might say he had an undisclosed injury that hindered his performance on the golf course. Tiger has used this excused a few times before. I thought he might go that route, but he instead took the new coach excuse. This is on quite on par for him to make an excuse for his performance, and not just say I played terribly.

Robert Goren
08-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Don't you wish any athlete, not just Tiger,would utter the words "I sucked" just once.

Greyfox
08-12-2011, 01:01 PM
A lot of golfers on the course this morning are finding it a tougher course today.
It might be even tougher for the afternoon starters.

DJofSD
08-12-2011, 01:58 PM
One of the many benie's of being a pro: http://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/b/tourblog/archive/2011/08/11/update-rory-mcilroy-s-titleist-mb-7-iron.aspx

Relwob Owner
08-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Relwob- This is what I was talking about that he might say he had an undisclosed injury that hindered his performance on the golf course. Tiger has used this excused a few times before. I thought he might go that route, but he instead took the new coach excuse. This is on quite on par for him to make an excuse for his performance, and not just say I played terribly.

Spot on. It is just amazing how few favors he does himsself and how appartently none of the people advising him has the guts to set him straight. Everyone loves a comeback story and if he just went the honest, "I suck right now" route, many people(not they should after the crap he has pulled) would root for him again.

The good thing about firing everyone is he now has a brand new set of excuses!

Greyfox
08-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Great golf, but of the 4 Majors this one has too many commercials.

Greyfox
08-14-2011, 01:17 AM
In the words of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid,

"Who are those guys?"

(If this were a horse race we'd be tearing up our tickets. "Who are those guys?")

redshift1
08-14-2011, 02:55 AM
Top three facing the biggest challenge of their careers and a chance at golf immortality, how do they sleep ?

Greyfox
08-14-2011, 08:33 AM
Top three facing the biggest challenge of their careers and a chance at golf immortality, how do they sleep ?

Good question. So far Steele, Dufner and Bradley, all seem to be made of
"The Right Stuff." Should be an interesting battle to see if they can last.
In the meanwhile, Tiger must be wondering "What happened when I was sleeping? The world has changed."

DJofSD
08-14-2011, 09:39 AM
I think Stricker has the best chance to win today.

TJDave
08-14-2011, 02:37 PM
I'll be rooting for Scott Verplank but he's playing with a handicap. Heat and Diabetes don't mix. Still, I'd be tickled to see him win a major. All around nice guy.

Relwob Owner
08-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Funny-Dufner thought he was up, put his tee in the ground and they introduced Steele.....awkward start!

redshift1
08-14-2011, 03:38 PM
Two minutes of golf, two minutes of commercials maybe they are front-loading the commercials ?

elysiantraveller
08-14-2011, 06:10 PM
This has been a rough year for golf...

When the number 1 ranked player in the world has never won a major you got some problems. There is a lot to be excited about for next year but this season has been pretty tough to get excited about.

bigmack
08-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Golf commentating has become insufferable. With all the idiotic superlatives they throw around I wonder if they're aware, IT'S JUST GOLF.

They talk of 'resolve' from the young bucks after throwing up a triple bogie and two birdies thereafter. WHAT RESOLVE! :lol:

Relwob Owner
08-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Golf commentating has become insufferable. With all the idiotic superlatives they throw around I wonder if they're aware, IT'S JUST GOLF.

They talk of 'resolve' from the young bucks after throwing up a triple bogie and two birdies thereafter. WHAT RESOLVE! :lol:

Couldnt agree more BM....Nantz is a cliche and drama machine. When he does his Masters commentary. I have an even harder time than normal listening.

NJ Stinks
08-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Keegan Bradley was 150-1 at most books.

Jason Dufner and Anders Hansen could be had for at least 250-1.

I guess I was thinking too small going in. :)

cj
08-15-2011, 12:30 AM
Johnny Miller can be irritating, but I'd take him over that crew any day.

Greyfox
08-15-2011, 07:17 AM
That golf was tremendous drama. It was as exciting as I've seen in quite a few years. Hats off to Jason and Keegan. They put on a tremendous show.
Great stuff.

Robert Fischer
08-15-2011, 07:29 AM
That's the best win Greg Martin (Keegan Bradley's caddie) EVER HAD! :lol:

Greyfox
08-15-2011, 11:51 AM
That's the best win Greg Martin (Keegan Bradley's caddie) EVER HAD! :lol:

:D Good one.
I also saw other humor in the play.
For whatever reason I saw distinct resemblances between:
Keegan Bradley ---> a younger John Cleese
Jason Dufner ------> a younger Craig "The Walrus" Stadler (without moustache and expressions)
http://famous-relationships.topsynergy.com/!photos/John_Cleese.jpg

Greyfox
08-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Are Jason Dufner and The Walrus related?:
http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/m/mxBAEPkpN75VDdYTrzyXXSw/140.jpg

LottaKash
08-15-2011, 12:18 PM
All in all, with so many new faces and golf swings, I thought that this year's PGA was quite interesting, if nothing else...Quite a fascinating stretch run...

The young winner, Keegan Bradley, sure showed me some poise after that triple-bogey on 12....This guy has a solid future ahead, I think....

It was something of a new and unique PGA without all the old guard wannabees not scoring so well in this event...heehee !

Ah youth....:cool:

best,

cj
08-15-2011, 01:12 PM
I was calling Dufner "Fat Rory".

DJofSD
08-15-2011, 03:02 PM
As if Rory #1 was thin. I think he takes after G-Mac.

Storm Cadet
08-15-2011, 09:49 PM
http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1.3097180.1313382581!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/mugshot_171/image.jpg

How ya like my St. John's guy now !!!

Relwob Owner
08-15-2011, 09:52 PM
Are Jason Dufner and The Walrus related?:
http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/m/mxBAEPkpN75VDdYTrzyXXSw/140.jpg

GF,

A while back, I think you and I debated abt Tiger and his spitting and you were right(my take was that tons of guys I have played with do it but you were correct in that it isnt right).....did you notice an awful lt of that going on yesterday with Dufner and Bradley? I saw them both spitting a ton and Dufner on the green at least once.

098poi
08-15-2011, 10:18 PM
I'm pretty sure I spotted Dufner putting some tobacco or snuff or whatever it is in his mouth. That would explain the spitting. Every man to himself but I think that has to be the grossest habit one could have.

Greyfox
08-15-2011, 10:51 PM
GF,

A while back, I think you and I debated abt Tiger and his spitting and you were right(my take was that tons of guys I have played with do it but you were correct in that it isnt right).....did you notice an awful lt of that going on yesterday with Dufner and Bradley? I saw them both spitting a ton and Dufner on the green at least once.

Yes. I saw Bradley spit. It looked ...sickening. But I don't think he did it on the green. He seemed to be doing it after taking a drink of gatorade or whatever he was drinking. I didn't notice Dufner spit, but it sounds like he did. I also saw another golfer spit on Saturday and didn't note his name.
It's a very foul act and looks even worse on TV.

LottaKash
08-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Yes. I saw Bradley spit. It looked ..............sickening. It's a very foul act and looks even worse on TV.

I watch baseball and other sports and wow, it is "spit-city", and it never ends and is incessant, camera or no camera......So, how come it is so foul on the links ?....I can use my imagination on the greens, but elsewhere, why the big deal ?...:confused:

Are golfers so much more the gentlemen, and Emily Post says it is a "no-no", no expectorating on the course, of course" ?....:D

best,

Greyfox
08-16-2011, 03:19 AM
IMO, spitting anywhere in public is a vile habit. Unfortunately, many young people find it quite acceptable. If it doesn't bother others, fine. But if you walk into any professional's office and he or she spits, what will you think? For example, you meet the surgeon who is going to operate on your cataract and he suddenly spits on the floor, what would you think. Or if the anchor man on TV spits do you think that many people would turn the channel? It's a disgusting habit in baseball or otherwise.

Greyfox
08-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Of sidebar interest here, The PGA published their Money Leaders list this week.

Keegan Bradley is 5 th with 2 wins and now has $3,432,200 earnings.

Justin Dufner is 16 th with no wins yet, but $ 2,543,060 earnings.

LottaKash
08-16-2011, 02:52 PM
IMO, spitting anywhere in public is a vile habit. Unfortunately, many young people find it quite acceptable. If it doesn't bother others, fine. But if you walk into any professional's office and he or she spits, what will you think? For example, you meet the surgeon who is going to operate on your cataract and he suddenly spits on the floor, what would you think. Or if the anchor man on TV spits do you think that many people would turn the channel? It's a disgusting habit in baseball or otherwise.

Greyfox, I share your feeling about spitting in gerneral, it is ugly to see, but from a playing field (any) consisting of dirt and grass, to an office or a newsroom is a bit of a stretch, don't you think...?....;)

In my younger days, I played golf a time or two, and I saw people hocking lugies and gobs everywhere....Of course most tried to chuck them in a less travelled and more inconspicuous area, but still, they fired away...Were they not still gentlemen ?...:D

best,

Relwob Owner
08-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Greyfox, I share your feeling about spitting in gerneral, it is ugly to see, but from a playing field (any) consisting of dirt and grass, to an office or a newsroom is a bit of a stretch, don't you think...?....;)

In my younger days, I played golf a time or two, and I saw people hocking lugies and gobs everywhere....Of course most tried to chuck them in a less travelled and more inconspicuous area, but still, they fired away...Were they not still gentlemen ?...:D

best,

I have debated this with GF, as I have played golf my whole life and many I played with spit all the time and it didnt bother me. After going back and forth a bit, I see his point. Golf is unique and cant be compared with other sports in terms of the spitting thing. Etiquette(waiting for your turn, being quiet when others are playing, fans being quiet when you are playing) differentiates golf from other sports and for that reason, spitting bleeds over and becomes something that isnt acceptable.