PDA

View Full Version : QUICKHORSE

COUGAR
11-19-2003, 09:55 AM
I stumbled, by accident on to the Quickhorse site. I must admit being quite impressed. I believe it is a program that has potiential. It is kind of like Joes program in the way you can fine tune but better. There customer support is second to none and a very impressive quick db utility. They seem not to be handicappers but programers that seek advise to improve there product. You can also design your own method within there program just like Joes but again better. Anybody here using Quickhorse.???????

Cougar....... aka Turfside

Figman
11-19-2003, 11:25 AM
I have the utmost confidence in my own "homegrown" thoroughbred methodology. That said, I do use QUICKDOG frequently, as my home simulcast site for horses is a greyhound track and my "better half" loves to bet on the greyhounds. I've reupped with QUICKDOG for four years straight as it has been that good.

Mike Groves of QUICKHORSE and QUICKDOG is every bit as consciencious of customer service and improving his programs as are other thoroughbred guys like Nathan Miserocchi or Dave Schwartz, both of whom are tops!

Mike Groves is from the State of Washington and his business is not a "mom & pop" one. He has many programmers on his staff. I heartily recommend dealing with him and in fact I'm going to take a look at QUICKHORSE myself. His self-tuning algorythmn used in QUICKDOG is just fabulous as proven by the programs consistent results.

Vegas1
12-17-2003, 01:55 PM
I too am a user of QUICKHORSE and very satisfied. I have yet to use QUICKDOG but I will. I am going to be "reupping" in about a week. I have used many costly and free progrms on the market now and many that have gone by the wayside. This is indeed one of the most user friendly programs with the most useful items I have seen. Backtest and Supertune makes all the difference. It also allows the user to select their type of handicapping factors they deem the most important. I like the way the user can design their own methods and the colums to use in that method. I may be coming off sounding like the user needs a lot of computer experience. NOT SO. I agree with COUGAR and FIGMAN. Customer Service is the best I've ever seen on any product. Mike Groves is great at getting to your request and staying with it until he is able to satisfy you with the results. Top notch all the way. If you are a novice or a pro you can only improve your bottom line by subscribing to QUICKHORSE. If you are a greyhound player, as I said I haven't used QUICKDOG yet but have heard only rave reviews about it also. Did I mention the price is right.

JimG
12-17-2003, 05:25 PM
How bout posting some contender selections in advance using the Quickhorse software so we can see how it does in live action.

Jim

Vegas1
12-17-2003, 08:54 PM
Hi Jim. I was just getting started on tomorrows cards when I got your reply so I will throw a couple races out there. If it's like normal when I'm trying to "impress" I select the wrong info to hand out but here goes.
CRC Race 6 3-2-9-8
HAW Race 2 3-4-8-9
HAW Race 5 2-3-1-4
TUP Race 4 8-6-1-2
All are for 12/18/2003

They are in no peticular order of finish just the top 4 contenders in each race listed.

Vegas1

analyzer
12-18-2003, 06:05 PM
Please post a link to the site for this program. Thanks.

Vegas1
12-18-2003, 07:41 PM
You can access QUICKHORSE at:
http://business.gorge.net/jai/horses.htm

Trysharder
12-19-2003, 12:11 AM
Agree that QH help is very good but I have never been able to show a profit with the program. Have had it over a year now. It does pick winners , just not enough. An example: Penn 12/18/2003-Out of 10 races it packed 2 winners, 3 place and 4 show. The winners paid $3.60 and $7.80. All selections were low priced. TPA did better picking one $38.20 winner but my mainstay is the old version of Powerline. Made 5 bets with it and hit 2 winners paying $4.80 and $14.20. My current ROI is $$1.57 for every $1 bet. Nicest thing about it is that it is a "black box". You just have to learn how to use it. QH may be the same but I haven't been smart enough to develop it.

trying2win
12-19-2003, 04:00 AM
Trysharder,

--You mentioned Powerline. Is that the old system by Steve Wolson? If it is, I'm sure Steve will be glad to see you like it.

--I noticed there is a PA member by the name of wolsons. I'm assuming that's Steve Wolson, because it says in wolsons profile, that this member is a system author.

--Probably a lot of PA members have seen Steve Wolson's many systems. What they think of them would probably be best discussed in another thread in the handicapping library forum.

Thanks,

Trying2win

Trysharder
12-19-2003, 10:05 AM
You are correct. Wolson developed the Powerline system. It is a combination of a bunch of his systems. Doubt if any of them have ever made money standing alone. What makes Powerline unique is the programming. For instance: With a couple of clicks of the mouse you can see how any one system is doing at any track in your database. You can check the odds and set upper and lower limits. I personally use the ML to check as I want to make my bets in advance . Have no intention of trying to tell about all the features since I think a lot of them are useless. Wouldn't you like to be able to ask how would you do if you bet on every 10/1 ML runner that was coming back in X number of days and other questions that would take days to do manually ? This is why I like it.

jackad
12-19-2003, 11:02 AM
Trysharder,
Do you have any sense of how selections made by the Powerline's black-box feature does with regard to win frequency and ROI?
Jack

Vegas1
12-19-2003, 01:03 PM
Sorry to hear TRYSHARDER that you haven't had success with QH. I can only assume that your database is small. Also, are you continuing to use the standard QH method or have you constructed your own methods and colums. If you do this and backtest/supertune you can be pretty much assured that you have the best data going into your races. I do guess that QUICKHORSE is like everything else and that diferent people have different opinions of a product. I can only relay my personal opinions of it's abilities. I hope you can find your way out of a -ROI with QH. Have you gone to the users forum and posted your frustrations as there are users you can assist you with really turning your play around. Best of luck...............Vegas1

Trysharder
12-19-2003, 02:13 PM
To Jakad; My experience with the black box function has not been successful. The only time I bet a selection from it is when both Win percentage and ROI only show one runner.

To Vegas 1: My QH database had around 2000 races at one time. What happens with a large data base is that your selections are dominated by favorites. I use Supertune and have did a bit of experimenting but still prefer Powerline due to its ease of use. I am in no way putting QH down. It is an excellent program. I just like another better. Currently I am trying just one track on QH and may find something yet. I am retired and have lots of time.

modred
12-21-2003, 02:52 AM
Trysharder

Do you have the URL for Powerline?

I am also retired recently... Nov 17th :D

trying2win
12-21-2003, 03:31 AM
Modred,

...Sorry for cutting in here. Apologies to Trysharder, as well.

...Just in case Trysharder doesn't visit this thread for awhile, the link to the Powerline website is:

http://www.poweronlinesoftware.com/

Thanks,

Trying2win (another retiree)

modred
12-21-2003, 03:37 AM
Thanks trying2win ... I appreciate the URL.

BIG HIT
12-21-2003, 08:05 AM
Is there away two put my tsn file's chart's and exotic's in prgm to test it.

Trysharder
12-21-2003, 09:45 AM
I have used TSN files in place of BRIS in a couple of applications. The main difference is that TSN's files don't have the power rating. After you have unzipped them you can just change the file to a drf and it will work in some applications. Never tried it with QH since it unzips automatically.

BIG HIT
12-21-2003, 11:47 AM
Tried it did not work tried it on prgm. but thank's for your help.

Pace Cap'n
12-21-2003, 12:44 PM
My free trial has expired so I can't try this and say it works, but:

Try to copy your TSN zip files from where they are now into the folder called "backup" in the QH program.

Try copying your existing charts into the QH folder "charts".

If that doesn't work, I bet someone at QH could help.

Trysharder
12-21-2003, 01:04 PM
I just tried transferring some TSN files and it worked fine with no problem. Just use Windows Explorer and copy the files you want to use, Open the jaihorse program and then "infiles". It should be empty. Paste the TSN files into it. When you open QH it will automaticaly enter the files into the database.

Vegas1
12-21-2003, 05:00 PM
If you have the TSN files both data and XRD you can copy them to inpfiles within the jaihorse program and when you start the QH program from the Desktop icon the QH program will automatically unzip all the files and place them in the backup folder. You can then just click the track three letter identifier and the program willallow you to chose the date you want to open. However after you open the track and date of your choice click the "Backtest" icon and allow the program to run, then click the "Supertune" icon and the program with Supertune the handicapping factors for that track. Hope I made sense.......................Vegas1

BIG HIT
12-21-2003, 06:14 PM
But after reviewing prgrm not what i was looking for.Was hopeing for more filter's little different nature. Thank's you

sq764
12-22-2003, 10:16 PM
I chatted with that Mike fellow and he was a bit abrasive and sensitive. All I wanted was to come off their stupid mail list and it was like pulling teeth.

I appreciate people being overconfident of their product, but its no good when you take that to the point of being flat out annoying..

acorn54
12-22-2003, 10:22 PM
hello sq764
curious as to your experience with quick horse. if you got on their email did you try out the free trial of quickhorse?
did you try making custom methods or did you just use the standard method?
how many races were in your database. did you get a positive r.o.i. and good win percentage?-guy from long island

sq764
12-22-2003, 10:25 PM
It's funny, there are 2 people posting in this thread with 6 and 2 posts EVER, respectively..

Needless to say, not worth a response to your question.

acorn54
12-22-2003, 11:17 PM
sq764
don't see the connection between my only have two previous posts and not being worthy of a response. please explain-guy from long island

sq764
12-22-2003, 11:26 PM
Yes I tried out the program, no I did not get good results.

I try many many programs to see if any compare to the one I use everyday, and to date, none do. This one just fell into that black hole :-)

acorn54
12-22-2003, 11:31 PM
thank you sq764 f or your response.
i only have a few responses to this bbs because i just signed up last week
i contributed to the subject of "what's your r.o.i." which i wish everybody on this board would do so we all can get a feel for what the realities of beating this game are.-guy from long island

mgroves
12-23-2003, 07:10 AM
Since this "gentleman" has posted his "experience" with QuickHorse, let me make it clear, and please, sq764, correct me if I am wrong, but you basically, installed QuickHorse for your 30 day trial, and never used it again, then, immediately sent me an email requesting that I take you off our email list (which is all automatic as I am SURE I explained to you).

After politely explaining our policy that it will exit our system in 30 days automatically, you wrote to me about 28 days later, almost at the end of your original subscription, and caustically warned ME to REMOVE your name.

Was I sensitive. Darn right! Our programmers have worked months and years to produce software which you casually discarded after a single use (which as anyone else who's used QuickHorse or any other product knows is rediculous if you really want to try it out - that's why we give you 30 days!!). It's not a movie!! It's a software program. So, if you're unhappy with the FREE opportunity to try someone's product, then I'm sorry for you! Too bad, but since QuickHorse's concept is continued improvement, then we want all users to be informed when problems are fixed. That's just good customer support!

So, given this information, I would suggest, that if others are looking for a "review" of QuickHorse that they ignore this poster, who has some sort of tipsheet website, but I really haven't figured it out yet, and is basically foraging amongst products, rather than seriously looking at them.

In closing, guy, you can tell from this characters initial response to your very logical question, that he's a "case" when it comes to attempting communication with him. Instead of answering your question, he is caustic.

Thanks, Mike Groves, JONSOG associates, Inc., Manager - QuickDog Software Development

Figman
12-23-2003, 08:30 AM
I said it before and I'll reiterate it again now that Mike Groves and Jonsog, Associates are "A-1". In the same league as Dave Schwartz of Horse Street and Nathan Miserocchi of Thoroughtech. All are or have access to top programmers, go overboard in trying to make customers happy and always 100% dedicated to pleasing their customers while also attempting to grow their businesses. My hats off to all three.

Mike Groves is not around this board much (like Dave is) but he gets my same respect as I have been a customer of Jonsog for three or four years. I do admit that I only use his greyhound program as my own thoroughbred handicapping has evolved over 50 years and I am pleased with my own methods. Greyhound handicapping I know little about and have had great results with QuickDog.

sq764
12-23-2003, 09:10 AM
Caustically? Wow, that made me pick up a dictionary for the first time in a while.. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Tom
12-23-2003, 06:59 PM
Soft-wars Part III!

:rolleyes:

Roger
12-23-2003, 07:06 PM
:p I have not posted here before, but i feel the need to reply here!

I have just just signed up today with Quickhorse after evaluating the program way over the alloted 30 day trial. Mike was gracious enough to extend my trial, because I had been on the road with work and had not had the time to really get into it. I finally did, and I am impressed with this program, and with the customer service which is way beyond normal expectations. I'll admit that I have not delved into the real technical aspects of this program, collumn building etc, but have experimented enough to know that this program is nothing short of terrific!

Nothing, is a "Magical Black Box" including Quickhorse but I feel this is the closest thing to it. I'm not naive, I've been handicapping for thirty years, and I know a good thing when I see it. This program is in the development stage, and we the subscribers have a direct input as to what we like or dislike, or what we would like included in the program, It's really exciting.

When this program is fully developed, in my opinion will rank among the best, if not the best. How can you go wrong! 30 day free trial and if you really give it a workout you will love it.

Mike! Keep up the great work.

Derek2U
12-23-2003, 07:29 PM
hehe now that was funny & i wish i thought of soft wars.
sometimes the wares r 2 soft.

acorn54
12-23-2003, 10:17 PM
roger
guy (acorn) here.
i have been using the quickhorse for about 5 days and i am absorbed into it. get into column building/method building i think you will like it. mike has all the pertinent factors in handicapping in the program such as class,speed, early foot,trainer stats,jockey stats,post postition factor, which you can manipulate any way you feel best.
i am hoping mike can update quickhorse to accept my multicap datafiles.
it's too early to tell if quickhorse will work for me. really won't feel confident in it's ability until i get a database of around 1000 races to work with.-guy from long island

mgroves
12-30-2003, 02:53 PM
Thanks to all who've found QuickHorse AGAIN (happened the first time 1 1/2 years ago) using the PaceAdvantage.Com forum.

Yesterday, we did change domains, so if you're using QuickHorse and haven't done so already, you need to update to version 5.0.

The update can be found at -

http://quickracingsoftware.com/qhupdate.htm

But, for those of you still wanting to use the program for the first time, you need the full product, not just the update, and that product is at -

http://quickracingsoftware.com/qhtrial.htm

Also, if you have used it in the past, and would like to try it again, just contact me at mikeg@quickracingsoftware.com and I'll set you up. People have been doing this informally, so I thought I'd just mention to others that a "retrial" is certainly a possibility.

Thanks again for all the input/testing especially on the Method/Column Builder which seems very stable at this point based on feedback on both the QuickDog Forum and QuickHorse forums.

The QuickHorse forum is at -

http://quickracingsoftware.com/qhforum.htm

Happy New Year to All,
Mike Groves
Manager - QuickRacingSoftware.com