PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga's Saturday Card

grimm7
08-10-2011, 09:57 PM
11 races Saturday. 6 maiden races including 2 maiden claimers and 4 maiden races in a row. I can not remember that many maiden races for a Saturday card.

Tom
08-10-2011, 10:24 PM
Their stellar cards this year have made me break my boycott and play Del Mar. Too many days, too many races. Looks like really crappy racing for my trip next week, too. At least there is no hurry this year driving in.

toussaud
08-10-2011, 11:28 PM
somehow your user handle is very fitting for this thread

the little guy
08-11-2011, 12:53 AM
11 races Saturday. 6 maiden races including 2 maiden claimers and 4 maiden races in a row. I can not remember that many maiden races for a Saturday card.

Your posting history makes this post/thread even more idiotic that it seemed originally.

Funny, when the cards have been stellar, which they have been most days, I must have missed your posts then. I guess those complimentary posts were under another name. Moyers Pond perhaps?

What an obvious joker you are. It's sad that anyone besides Toussaud even fell for your idiocy.

David-LV
08-11-2011, 01:47 AM
Your posting history makes this post/thread even more idiotic that it seemed originally.

Funny, when the cards have been stellar, which they have been most days, I must have missed your posts then. I guess those complimentary posts were under another name. Moyers Pond perhaps?

What an obvious joker you are. It's sad that anyone besides Toussaud even fell for your idiocy.
Why is it idiotic when a gentleman posts the obvious that Saratoga the premier meet of summer runs a garbage card on a Saturday?

What are they looking for another pick 6 carryover so they can steal another 26% from the public?

_________
David-LV

Headbanger
08-11-2011, 02:27 AM
Why is it idiotic when a gentleman posts the obvious that Saratoga the premier meet of summer runs a garbage card on a Saturday?

What are they looking for another pick 6 carryover so they can steal another 26% from the public?

_________
David-LV

It's complete lunacy and idiocy because it's not that bad of a racing card on Saturday at all.

Saratoga's Saturday card may be 6 Maiden Races but 4 of them are Maiden Special Weights, with 3 of them being 2YO MSWs and one for older horses, as well as 2 of them being on the grass and two on dirt so there's an exceptional amount of variety in those MSW races. There are only 3 claiming races on the entire card, one of them being the first and last race of the day, mixed in with some allowance races and a Grade 1 race.

Meanwhile over where the surf meets the polyturf, they have a Graded Stakes Race, 3 Maiden Special Weights, an Allowance Optional Claiming Race, and 5 straight claiming races. Not exactly a stellar card at the Left Coast's "Premier Track."

One person's thought of what a good or bad card is may not be the next. I am looking forward to being in Saratoga this weekend and betting a neat card on Saturday.

Edward DeVere
08-11-2011, 03:06 AM

So four of the six maidens are MSW.

One of the things Saratoga racing is famous for is the future stars showcased in its MSW races.

Relax, and enjoy.

grimm7
08-11-2011, 06:26 AM
Genius! You have it all figured out that I am some one else. You must be really sharp! All I was stating is 6 maiden races for a Saturday at Saratoga is alot nothing else. If you disagree fine. Have fun thinking I am someone else.

toussaud
08-11-2011, 07:16 AM
I would not call it garbage, but 6 maiden races is a lot of maiden races IMHO.

grimm7
08-11-2011, 07:25 AM
It's not lunacy or idiocy to feel that 6 maiden races is alot for a Saturday card at Saratoga. Saturday I expect the best racing of the week. You may disagree but that's fine. Good luck ! I hope you make alot of money.

OTM Al
08-11-2011, 07:40 AM

_________
David-LV

Or...or...we could play the E-Lite meet and make a score at the shore. Oh sorry, that was last year. And it was still not as good as this.

Good maiden races are part of what Saratoga is supposed to be about, though I am biased. I really like playing maidens, so to me this is a great card.

Besides, the Million card is Saturday as well, so it isn't like you don't have options. I'll be playing into that a little too.

Tom
08-11-2011, 07:47 AM
Yes, some people like maidens, and other do not.
That is why it is nice to have other tracks available. I find little at
toga to get excited about save the top stakes races. This Saturday, what, the Sword Dancer, but other than that, I will be looking elsewhere for good racing. Maiden-mania can't compare to Arlington's card. Too many days, too many races.

toussaud
08-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Or...or...we could play the E-Lite meet and make a score at the shore. Oh sorry, that was last year. And it was still not as good as this.

Good maiden races are part of what Saratoga is supposed to be about, though I am biased. I really like playing maidens, so to me this is a great card.

Besides, the Million card is Saturday as well, so it isn't like you don't have options. I'll be playing into that a little too.
this is something i can agree with. I think it's more strategic planning than anything. look everyone is going to be playing arlington's card on saturday. every day can't be travers weekend, and while it's a lot of maidens, the card isn't going to be on the national spotlight either.

i would rather they have this card on this saturday then a saturday where nothing is going on anywhere else.

outofthebox
08-11-2011, 11:32 AM
The only maiden race i think has no business on the card is the 3rd. A 60k which only drew 5 horses is most likely done as a favor for T. Pletcher.

Phantombridgejumpe
08-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Yesterday at Saratoga there was about $1.0M bet into the pick-6 pool.

How do you sync this up with your statement that they are robbing the public with a 26% carryover?

Does the public not know? Does the public not care?

What do you feel is a proper (or highest non-robbery) carryover for that wager?

cj
08-11-2011, 11:42 AM

_________
David-LV

I'm not trying to defend the 26% takeout too much, as I think in general that is way too high, but with a carryover the bettor doesn't "feel" that much of the takeout.

Storm Cadet
08-11-2011, 11:44 AM

Agree...I personally love the two year old MSW races as they set up the Hopeful and Champagne Stakes and BC races in the fall...

cj's dad
08-11-2011, 12:28 PM
I notice that you have 27 posts. A little heads up for you. Posting anything negative about NYRA is a huge no-no on this board. NYRA will be defended to the bitter end and you will be vilified by a select few, and they no who they are.

sonnyp
08-11-2011, 01:08 PM
you come to a realization that after considering the source it's actually a compliment.

OTM Al
08-11-2011, 01:57 PM
I notice that you have 27 posts. A little heads up for you. Posting anything negative about NYRA is a huge no-no on this board. NYRA will be defended to the bitter end and you will be vilified by a select few, and they no who they are.

I'll always go after statements like his. They're pretty lame and something that has been continually repeated, given some news clippings I've seen, for over 100 years now. Damn those 19th century races must have been something..... But seriously, just because he doesn't like maidens doesn't mean the card stinks. Next Triple Crown winner could be running that day. You never know.

But a real issue, like cj brings up with the take on the P6, is worth discussing, though honestly I or no one else knows what the proper take should be on such a bet. It actually could be very close to the optimum, especially given the way the bet has been played this season. I just tire of tired, empty complaints that somehow always find their way to NYRA's doorstep. Granted I am closer to the situation than most and therefore somewhat biased. Maybe if I start seeing a few "how bad is the card tonight at Hoosier" posts, I might back off a little, but can't say I've ever seen one.

In a way though, perhaps it is sort of a backhanded compliment to NYRA. It clearly shows if people think the card is sub standard, how good the standard fare must be. So maybe the proper answer for him is to take a day off and do something else and come back the next day as it is sure to be better. There is a big wide world out there after all.

Tom
08-11-2011, 02:41 PM
And there are lots of other tracks, too.

cj's dad
08-11-2011, 06:07 PM
The Op comes out with a fairly harmless statement which is his OPINION and he hears some grief from the usual suspects; that's all I'm saying.

OTM Al
08-11-2011, 06:30 PM
The Op comes out with a fairly harmless statement which is his OPINION and he hears some grief from the usual suspects; that's all I'm saying.

OP made a statement of fact. Nothing to argue with. My complaint wasn't with him at all but another in particular who took what he said and turned it into another whine-fest. Course I couldn't resist the dig on him after he posted every day last summer how great Monmouth was and how it was the model for good racing and now he's said nary a word this year.

Honestly, I hate the Friday card at Saratoga. Very few of the races I'm good at, but I figure there's plenty out there who like what they see. So I don't bet much tomorrow, but all I have to do is wait a day and I get what I like. See no need to complain about it though. Figure there's enough going on in the world that I can find something else to do if the races don't excite.

PS I now see I was unclear when I said "his". Not a reference to the OP.

the little guy
08-11-2011, 07:06 PM
It's not lunacy or idiocy to feel that 6 maiden races is alot for a Saturday card at Saratoga. Saturday I expect the best racing of the week. You may disagree but that's fine. Good luck ! I hope you make alot of money.

You know what, you're not wrong, and my post was unfair and uncalled for. I apologize.

I don't particularly mind the card but you didn't say anything to deserve my response. I should have given it more thought.

sonnyp
08-11-2011, 07:49 PM
You know what, you're not wrong, and my post was unfair and uncalled for. I apologize.

I don't particularly mind the card but you didn't say anything to deserve my response. I should have given it more thought.

nice gesture....sincerely

grimm7
08-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Apology accepted. I just thought 6 maiden races for a Saturday card was high. I guess they are writing races for what they have in stables. Many tracks have the same problem of not enough quality horses. I will bet some and skip some. The great thing is other tracks are available. Arlington has a great card. Again, Good Luck!

Grits
08-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Its nice that this has all been made better.:ThmbUp:

Tom
08-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Is this PaceAdvantage.com?????
It never ends like this! :D

Stillriledup
08-11-2011, 11:01 PM

:lol:
Excellent point. Its a newer gentler version of PA, maybe Rodney "cant we all just get along" King is running this place now!

The Hawk
08-12-2011, 09:17 PM
Maybe you NY fans should get used to the maiden races: There are six more on Sunday, which makes 12 maiden races from 21 total on the weekend. There are only two maiden races (both maiden claimers) on Monday, but there are also four claiming races. Enjoy!

pktruckdriver
08-12-2011, 09:56 PM

Amen, trust him on this I know from personal experience, lol....

patrick

Loving it at the Spa, thou 6 , come on , wouldn't Thurdsy be better for that

pktruckdriver
08-12-2011, 10:00 PM

See post #31, :lol::lol:

PaceAdvantage
08-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Amen, trust him on this I know from personal experience, lol....

patrick

Loving it at the Spa, thou 6 , come on , wouldn't Thurdsy be better for thatWhy don't you go into the racing office and talk to the racing secretary and offer up your ideas and opinions. I'm sure he'd love to hear from you.

thespaah
08-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Maidens have to race as well.
I was there last week and had no trouble handicapping the Maiden races which do not bother me at all.
Saturday's card looks good. Good sized fields, turf races, etc.
Every day at Saratoga is a good day! Even if it rains.
Have fun everyone. Cash wagers. Wish I was there

Tom
08-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Maybe they could card Maiden Mondays, all maiden races.
Then, NW2 Tuesdays, all NW2 LT races.

Carlb
08-13-2011, 04:50 PM
I like maiden races and find today's card a hoot. What I don't like is a money burner always looking like they are just about to make my day.

Bim Bam starting from the Dixie in May till now do you know how much money you owe me? A years worth of chicharones for the entire block is in the debt column on your tab - will the extra distance make the difference today - let us hope so it's a long drive to have a face to face.

So Patrick if you see a guy that looks like John Candy dressed like Porter Wagoner ( unless inspired by a hip crowd I affect a 80's Adam Ant look ) I am probably needing some help finding my way to a certain barn any assistance would be appreciated.

Some_One
08-13-2011, 05:53 PM
ANother brutal ride by Emma, she's going to be run out of Toronto soon me thinks.

Some_One
08-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Does Curatolo know how to rate a horse? seems like all his mounts go out way too fast.

Dexter M
08-13-2011, 08:03 PM
ANother brutal ride by Emma, she's going to be run out of Toronto soon me thinks.

are you talking about her ride in the sword dancer? what was wrong with it?

Some_One
08-13-2011, 08:25 PM
She tried to hard to get the lead and then when she finally did, it almost seems like she was still pushing him, never tried to slow it back down to preserve some energy

Robert Fischer
08-13-2011, 08:31 PM
I know I did a hell of a lot better at Saratoga today than Million Day.

couple good betting races at Toga:ThmbUp:

Dexter M
08-13-2011, 08:52 PM
She tried to hard to get the lead and then when she finally did, it almost seems like she was still pushing him, never tried to slow it back down to preserve some energy

we must have watched a different race.

i bet the horse too. it lost. it wasnt her fault. nothing brutal about that ride at all.

turfbar
08-14-2011, 12:26 PM
As bad as saturdays card was OMG sundays is WORSE !!!!
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Turfbar

toussaud
08-14-2011, 05:35 PM
we must have watched a different race.

i bet the horse too. it lost. it wasnt her fault. nothing brutal about that ride at all.
i think it was just too tough a spot regarldess of the ride. RAhy's Attorney had not placed in a grade 1 race since winning the Woodbine mile, in 2008.

Dexter M
08-14-2011, 05:50 PM
i think it was just too tough a spot regarldess of the ride. RAhy's Attorney had not placed in a grade 1 race since winning the Woodbine mile, in 2008.

he got beat less than a length. it was a good spot. he just got beat.

toussaud
08-16-2011, 02:46 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloodstock/rahy-s-attorney-injured-in-sword-dancer-retired-from-racing/