PDA

View Full Version : How much ram do I need?

Robert Goren
08-10-2011, 11:26 AM
I am buying a new PC soon. It will be used for web stuff like posting here and for betting on horses. I use Twinspires to bet and watch the races. I am not going to be doing anything fancy. I expect it to last about four years. How much ram do I need? Remember I am old and live on fixed income budget, so every dollar counts.

DJofSD
08-10-2011, 11:35 AM
To a degree, it will depend upon what flavor of Windows you will be using. Most of the time, what the manufactors put in a box is the minimum.

Having said that, getting as much as you can. It is the most effective performance boost, dollar for dollar.

Canarsie
08-10-2011, 12:29 PM
If you really want to save money buy a new machine with the least amount of ram then buy the rest from an outside vendor if you capable of installing it.

Adding extra ram from a company is like having a license to steal my two cents.

wilderness
08-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Memory is really cheap these days, as compared to the overall cost of computer and monitor (as well as other accessories).

Spending an extra $100 for having supplemental memory installed by whomever you purchase the computer (there are generally no labor costs because of the overall purchase) from, will reward you in leaps and bounds. These and other things are generally listed under "options" of your potential purchase.

DJofSD
08-10-2011, 12:52 PM
If you really want to save money buy a new machine with the least amount of ram then buy the rest from an outside vendor if you capable of installing it.

Adding extra ram from a company is like having a license to steal my two cents.
Good points.

Robert, before you buy, you need to research the configuration. On the motherboard, there will be a number of sockets for holding the memory sticks. What you are trying to determine is if there are any empty sockets. Having empty sockets will make it easier for you to add more memory.

However, if there are say only two sockets and both already are in use, you can still increase the amount of memory. The devil is in the details but what you want to do is swap out the chips with new ones of higher capacity.

If you have any specific candidates you are considering as a purchase, post the make/model here, or, better yet, a link. I'm sure there are plenty of people that can help guide you to getting a new PC and getting the most for the dollars you have to spend.

P.S. You do not need to do all of the changes immediately. If you want to get the new system pronto and then at a later date, increase the amount of RAM, that is an option so you can spread out the cost over a period of time.

Robert Goren
08-10-2011, 01:07 PM
I was thinking about something like this. I do not want to sink more than $ 400 into it. Every extra $ 75 I spend on it is one more month I have to deal with this old laptop. I am living on a fixed income.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/eMachines-PT.NCV02.001/16608490

wilderness
08-10-2011, 01:24 PM
That appears to be a bottom-line computer, and, although it may be light years ahead of your existing computer. bottom-line is not generally a sound practice.

Nebraska "sales circular (http://www.salescircular.com/ne/computer/cpuoyp.shtml)"

Select your state, and then select ONLY Computers from next page

tupper
08-10-2011, 01:31 PM
Build your own. That will give the most bang for the buck. It's easy. If you can hook up a stereo system, then you can build a computer.

There are plenty of tutorials on the web, and there are always recommended component combinations for various budgets posted on online. Here (http://newbcomputerbuild.com/newb-computer-build-home/gaming-pc-build-august-2011/) is a recent recommendation for a PC build for under $500. Notice that there are only 8 parts (including the case). Easy!

You can save even more by shopping around (at New Egg, MWave, Microcenter, etc), and by getting a less powerful graphics card than the one recommended. A few months ago, I found some specials at Microcenter and built a blazing fast, quad-core computer for $250. I used the graphics built into the motherboard and it is fine, but a decent graphic card would only add $40-$50 to the cost.

The hardest part is installing the OS, if you intend to use Windows (more so, if you intend to install Mac OSX). The second hardest part is deftly placing the heat sink on the CPU, but that is more scary than difficult. The rest is a breeze -- you can't connect anything incorrectly, because the connectors are distinct for each part.

After the four years of use that you mentioned, you can then install Linux with one click, and watch your computer suddenly become snappier and more stable than when you first installed Windows.

JBmadera
08-10-2011, 01:34 PM
check out this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103365

4GB ram, windows 7, 64k bit processor, just under $400

I would also with check wal mart or something similar.

good luck!

DJofSD
08-10-2011, 01:42 PM
I was thinking about something like this. I do not want to sink more than $ 400 into it. Every extra $ 75 I spend on it is one more month I have to deal with this old laptop. I am living on a fixed income.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/eMachines-PT.NCV02.001/16608490
There is a paucity of specific technical information. I did find this . (http://support.gateway.com/us/en/emac/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=3689)

Looking at some of the other eMachine models which are similar to the 1358G you are considering, they do have information on the product web page which states 3 GB in two slots with zero empty slots available. This means if you want to go to 4 GB at a later date, you'd have to swap out the existing chips with new ones to total 4 GB. Likely the machine comes with 2 chips each being 1.5 GB.

DJofSD
08-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Click on the right link and you get the right answer: http://i.walmart.com/i/rb/0088448398443.pdf

The model under discussion has the same configuration: 2 slots both occupied.

Canarsie
08-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Plenty of good ideas here :ThmbUp:

If you want to wait for a great deal forums like this usually post them first. It would be great if other member of PA put up their favorite deal sites.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/computer/

If you were able to build one I have seen people do it for well under $200 after rebates. It was quite impressive the cost vs. quality ratio. You can get a bunch of stuff really really cheap if you can wait and shop.

forced89
08-10-2011, 06:00 PM
I am buying a new PC soon. It will be used for web stuff like posting here and for betting on horses. I use Twinspires to bet and watch the races. I am not going to be doing anything fancy. I expect it to last about four years. How much ram do I need? Remember I am old and live on fixed income budget, so every dollar counts.

My computer habits are almost identical to yours: internet searches; email; betting on horses using Twinspires. Like you, nothing fancy. I buy a new laptop every 3 or 4 years. Always one of the least expensive. My current laptop purchased last November is a Compaq Presario CQ56. I think it cost about $350. It totally satisfies my needs.

Dick Schmidt
08-10-2011, 06:10 PM
My favorite online deal site is: http://dealnews.com/c39/Computers/

They post new deals constantly, and many are available for only a day or two. I got a Netbook for my wife just recently for $159, shipped to our door. You can refine your search and just look for the type of computer you want (laptop, desktop etc).

The prices are hard to beat, but you need to move fast on some of them.

Dick

I would like to live in a world where a chicken can cross a road without anybody questioning his motives.

Pell Mell
08-10-2011, 07:42 PM
I have been searching for a few weeks for a new one. My needs are the same as Roberts. Just want to make sure I have enough memory for race videos.

I have a 6 yr old desktop now. All I need is a tower as I have a nice flatscreen 19" monitor, speakers, etc.

I have about decided on this one. No need to worry about shipping costs either. Seems to have a ton of memory also.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-i580-6654NBC/15627208

HUSKER55
08-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Just a thought, tried a local repair shop. Neighbors grand daughter got an Accer touch screen with windows 7 and 4 gigs of ram for $575, speakers and the whole package. If you have an operating system then you don't need one installed. If you have speakers then you don't need them either.

Some of these shops will "dicker". No harm in asking.

Good luck

Dave Schwartz
08-10-2011, 10:13 PM

Robert,

The problem is that e-Machines just have such a bad performance/reliability reputation.

My suggestion is that you look for a local place that builds computers and have them build you a "white box" machine. The way you find a good one is to ask the most technologically advanced person (or two) that you know, "Where would you send your mother to buy a computer?"

Keep asking until you get back a name other than Dell, HP BestBuy, etc.

Dave

PaceAdvantage
08-11-2011, 03:32 AM
Build your own. That will give the most bang for the buck. It's easy. If you can hook up a stereo system, then you can build a computer.I used to build my own...built four or five over the years...then when my last one died, I said screw it, I don't need the hassle.

Building your own PC should be reserved for those folks with a genuine interest in doing such a thing...it shouldn't be done as an experiment or to save a few bucks.

Honestly, I always spent MORE building my own machine than I would have buying a similarly equipped pre-built model. But that's because I was buying all top of the line components...

JBmadera
08-11-2011, 06:56 AM
here's another one, new egg always has stuff on sale:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103371&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL081111&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL081111-_-EMC-081111-Index-_-DesktopPCs-_-83103371-L02A

sub $400, 4GB ram and windows 7, unreal price. I think I'll order one, quickly, before the wife wakes up.... :lol:

Canarsie
08-11-2011, 06:58 AM
Honestly, I always spent MORE building my own machine than I would have buying a similarly equipped pre-built model. But that's because I was buying all top of the line components...

Two points on this.

1. Don't tell me you weren't extremely proud when each job was completed and booted up perfect the first time.

2. 99% of the time when you build your own when there's a problem it becomes easy to diagnose.

After saying all of that I bought my last machine from a vendor for the first time in almost 20 years. The price was just better then if I did it myself. But if I had a few months to do it would have gone the rebate route and could have built it for next to nothing.

Canarsie
08-11-2011, 07:00 AM
here's another one, new egg always has stuff on sale:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103371&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL081111&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL081111-_-EMC-081111-Index-_-DesktopPCs-_-83103371-L02A

sub $400, 4GB ram and windows 7, unreal price. I think I'll order one, quickly, before the wife wakes up.... :lol:

Newegg is a great company. Once had a problem with a processor and they replaced it even though their policy said they didn't have to without a restocking fee.

BillW
08-11-2011, 07:35 AM
I still like to spec my own (as opposed to actually purchasing the parts and building it) mainly due to doing a lot of disk/cpu intensive stuff like compiling and database work.

A company that I've liked and generally gets good reviews is www.cpusolutions.com

I used to build my own...built four or five over the years...then when my last one died, I said screw it, I don't need the hassle.

Building your own PC should be reserved for those folks with a genuine interest in doing such a thing...it shouldn't be done as an experiment or to save a few bucks.

Robert Goren
08-11-2011, 07:37 AM
Robert,

The problem is that e-Machines just have such a bad performance/reliability reputation.

My suggestion is that you look for a local place that builds computers and have them build you a "white box" machine. The way you find a good one is to ask the most technologically advanced person (or two) that you know, "Where would you send your mother to buy a computer?"

Keep asking until you get back a name other than Dell, HP BestBuy, etc.

DaveI know about E-machines reputation and will probably not go that route. I Have always bought my computers from Best Buy or the now defuncted circuit city. 4 of the 5 that I have owned were HP, the other was a IBM. I will say this we an e-machine at work that never gave us any problems and I believe they are still using it for something even though it is 8 years old. If I was 23 instead 63 I might be talk into building my own. These days I just want to plug it and let it run. The less I have to do, the better. I have been watching these bottom line computers since early May and amazed much "better" they get every month or so.

DJofSD
08-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Robert,

From the link to DealNews Dick posted above: http://dealnews.com/HP-Pavilion-Slimline-Intel-Dual-Core-3.2-GHz-PC-for-300-free-shipping/488740.html

I am currently using an earlier model Slimline PC. Love 'em. You might consider this one for $300.

PaceAdvantage
08-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Two points on this.

1. Don't tell me you weren't extremely proud when each job was completed and booted up perfect the first time.

2. 99% of the time when you build your own when there's a problem it becomes easy to diagnose.

After saying all of that I bought my last machine from a vendor for the first time in almost 20 years. The price was just better then if I did it myself. But if I had a few months to do it would have gone the rebate route and could have built it for next to nothing.No doubt on both points...

bduke
08-11-2011, 06:52 PM
I just bought a new PC JUL11 from newegg.com (Gr8 place) & did the same search. I got a HP with a little less memory & hard drive although with Win7 Pro for a little more $ =309.00, but am real happy with it, still I'd have jumped all over this one.

Robert,

From the link to DealNews Dick posted above: http://dealnews.com/HP-Pavilion-Slimline-Intel-Dual-Core-3.2-GHz-PC-for-300-free-shipping/488740.html

I am currently using an earlier model Slimline PC. Love 'em. You might consider this one for $300.