PDA

View Full Version : London

sonnyp
08-07-2011, 06:12 PM
maybe they should have another "royal" wedding. this time they could invite obama. :

http://worldblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/08/07/7292281-the-sad-truth-behind-london-riot

PaceAdvantage
08-08-2011, 04:25 AM
The entitlement culture sure is turning out to be a success, is it not?

Blame everyone but yourself for your place in this world...lovely...

Native Texan III
08-09-2011, 09:04 AM
They don't seem to have any problem helping themselves.

cj's dad
08-09-2011, 09:18 AM
J_TIAhYD8xU

ArlJim78
08-09-2011, 11:21 AM
heh, a report from the frontlines.

. . . In London’s Hackney neighborhood, hundreds of youths left a trail of burning trash and shattered glass. Looters ransacked a convenience store, filling plastic shopping bags with alcohol, cigarettes, candy and toilet paper.

East London’s diversity was on display amid the charred hulks of cars and the smell of burning plastic. Some looters were young women with manicured nails and customized BlackBerry smart phones. Others wore dreadlocks and stained shirts or appeared to be homeless.

“This is the uprising of the working class. We’re redistributing the wealth,” said Bryn Phillips, a 28-year-old self-described anarchist, as young people emerged from the store with chocolate bars and ice cream cones.

http://hosted2.ap.org/COGRA/APWorldNews/Article_2011-08-09-EU-Britain-Riot/id-6f73e54236414c43a6ebd55a9fd8b87b

Valuist
08-10-2011, 09:25 PM
After random acts of violence like this, is there anything more disgusting and annoying than the moron who comes on and says, "who of us weren't arrested when we were 18, 19 or 20 years old? The answer is the majority of people weren't arrested at those ages.

My daughter and niece are going to London in 8 days. Needless to say, I am very concerned about the situation over there. Here's hoping the UK police use whatever force is needed to remedy the situation.

horses4courses
08-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Social unrest in the UK is not a new phenomenon.
Admittedly, nothing of this scale has been seen since Thatcher.

However, urban working class areas in Britain could seldom be described as peaceful, especially around closing time at the pubs on any given night.
Bring soccer hooliganism into the mix, and you have a long history of social unrest in recent times.

The 2 topics that interest me greatly with regard to this trouble are:

(1) Surveillance
and
(2) Olympic Games 2012

Britain has one of the most invasive, and sophisticated, public surveillance systems in the western world, but will it help them in this situation?
I noticed on TV footage that most of the rioters have their faces covered with balaclavas when doing their thuggery. "Big Brother" cameras are not much help when they cover up. Soccer hooliganism has been reduced through surveillance techniques with some success. It remains to be seen if it has any affect on current problems, though.

Britain is very aware of their role as Olympic hosts next year.
They are a very proud nation, and have prepared well, up to this point.
Recent violence will have to be a distant memory by next summer.
If that is not the case, who knows what will happen?
Fire up major cities and sporting venues in the US as a backup?

As far as travelling to the UK right now?
I wouldn't have much more concern now than I normally would.
There are certain areas in all major cities that you just don't visit after dark.
Heck, there are even some parts in broad daylight that I wouldn't set foot in.
80-90% of urban areas in the UK are, very likely, safe for tourists.
That's not much different than it normally is.
Just make sure to stay out of risky areas......

Tom
08-10-2011, 10:39 PM
The Irish were right.

ArlJim78
08-10-2011, 11:06 PM
.makes me think of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yxWYAVQVjA&feature=fvst

8yxWYAVQVjA

JustRalph
08-11-2011, 12:46 AM
Recycled poster from 1940 is making the rounds........

http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Sendagun-431x600.jpg

plainolebill
08-11-2011, 03:35 AM
Link (http://www.hayibo.com/africa-to-send-troops-food-parcels-to-uk-as-riots-spread/)

cj's dad
08-11-2011, 09:35 AM
From the link you posted:

“For instance, we have launched an ‘Adopt an English child’ programme,” Khumalo explained, showing journalists brochures featuring the faces of English kids. “If you donate a mere R50 a month, you can see to it that sweet little Johnny from Peckham receives a basic education, a pack of condoms and a pair of pimpin’ Nikes.”

Now, that's funny.

BlueShoe
08-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Here's hoping the UK police use whatever force is needed to remedy the situation.
What the hell is wrong with the damn Limeys? We heard that the police was "considering using fire hoses and rubber bullets on the riotors". Considering? Rubber bullets? Why not regular bullets? Declare martial law, send armed police or troops into the troubled areas and shoot any person engaging in looting or any violent act. Problem solved. This event dramatically points out why we must never, ever allow outselves to be disarmed. The Brits could only stand by helpless and watch their stores and businesses being destroyed by the mob. In the 1992 LA riots many store owners successfully defended their property with armed force, often just the display of a firearm backed off the mobs. At least for now, we still have the right of self defense. Had something like the UK situation happened here, there would be a lot of dead thugs lying around. Armed immediate response using deadly force is the only way to deal with these criminals.

JustRalph
08-11-2011, 12:09 PM
From the link you posted:

“For instance, we have launched an ‘Adopt an English child’ programme,” Khumalo explained, showing journalists brochures featuring the faces of English kids. “If you donate a mere R50 a month, you can see to it that sweet little Johnny from Peckham receives a basic education, a pack of condoms and a pair of pimpin’ Nikes.”

Now, that's funny.

That's hysterical. I could of swore it was from The Onion.

Gotta be a joke?

Mike at A+
08-11-2011, 12:16 PM
What the hell is wrong with the damn Limeys? We heard that the police was "considering using fire hoses and rubber bullets on the riotors". Considering? Rubber bullets? Why not regular bullets? Declare martial law, send armed police or troops into the troubled areas and shoot any person engaging in looting or any violent act. Problem solved. This event dramatically points out why we must never, ever allow outselves to be disarmed. The Brits could only stand by helpless and watch their stores and businesses being destroyed by the mob. In the 1992 LA riots many store owners successfully defended their property with armed force, often just the display of a firearm backed off the mobs. At least for now, we still have the right of self defense. Had something like the UK situation happened here, there would be a lot of dead thugs lying around. Armed immediate response using deadly force is the only way to deal with these criminals.
EXACTLY! The police should be given "shoot to kill" orders. That would solve two problems. It would stop the looting and it would get rid of several undesirable pieces of trash. This entitlement attitude is corrupting society and it's already here in America thanks to the community organizer (a.k.a. instigator in chief) we elected president in 2008.

Valuist
08-11-2011, 12:36 PM

Your point makes way too much sense. Bloody pooftahs.....rioters don't respect rubber bullets and getting sprayed with water.

cj's dad
08-11-2011, 12:38 PM
That's hysterical. I could of swore it was from The Onion.

Gotta be a joke?

I thought it was real until about the 5th paragraph. Then it really got funny, especially when they begin talking about toothpaste, toothbrushes and dentists.

And this:

"Khumalo also said that the AU would be parachuting in dentists along with army troops as part of a ‘Feel better about yourselves, Brits!’ initiative".

(http://worldblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/08/07/7292281-the-sad-truth-behind-london-riot)

NJ Stinks
08-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Since I've been in London since this looting began, here's a few thoughts from me:

1. Turns out the guy killed by the cops last Thursday night never shot at the cops which is what was the police stated immediately after the shooting. I'm still waiting for a definitive answer as to whether the guy had a gun or something that looked like a gun since this would explain why the cops thought he was dangerous when they shot him.

2. The looters were mainly 10 to 14 year olds when the looting started. Now it appears that lots of older thugs copied the kids and started looting around the country. There were lots of female looters from the beginning too which I find doubly depressing.

3. To say it is generally unsafe here is simply not true. The looters for the most part have not intentionally hurt passer-bys - they stuck to stealing and setting fires on the stores they stole from. (Why they had to burn is beyond me.) The only effects on most people during these sporatic lootings was that most shops closed early and some businesses too.

4. Monday I went from the East End of London to Windsor Racecourse and back by public transportation. No problems to speak of and it can be noted that Windsor Racecourse's twilight card was packed on Monday night. People surely may have discussed the looting in passing but in no way did the crowd appear concerned for their safety or anything like that.

5. I don't get the writer of that article Sonny P linked in the first post in this thread. Most people don't think this looting is all about kids feeling they are entitled to free stuff. This looting is all about thugs seeing an opportunity to steal stuff and get away with it. Even Cameron (I think) said today that he thinks the same thugs may have committed most of the crimes - they just kept moving to different places over the last week to steal. Anyway, so far 1,500 people have been taken into custody by the police.

6. Lastly, I want to say that I can't believe the discipline showed by the cops during these lootings. Punks would throw anything they could get their hands on at the cops from 20 feet away and the cops did not retaliate - they just stood their ground. I'm sure the cops were told not to use force if at all possible (at least the first couple days) but every man has a limit on the crap he will endure from hoodlums.

As a side note, the Racing Post today reported over 50 London bookie shops were damaged in some way by the looters. Now if only the punters could inflict some damage.... ;)

TJDave
08-11-2011, 09:12 PM
As a side note, the Racing Post today reported over 50 London bookie shops were damaged in some way by the looters. Now if only the punters could inflict some damage.... ;)

Are the bookies offering action on whether this type of rioting will happen over here?

I'd like to get a bet down. :rolleyes:

Native Texan III
08-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Since I've been in London since this looting began, here's a few thoughts from me:

3. To say it is generally unsafe here is simply not true. The looters for the most part have not intentionally hurt passer-bys - they stuck to stealing and setting fires on the stores they stole from. (Why they had to burn is beyond me.) The only effects on most people during these sporatic lootings was that most shops closed early and some businesses too.

NJ,

Yes, and the last thing they want is armed vigilantes taking pop shots at looters, plus anyone else they don't like that "happen to get in the way".
The whole thing started with one man being shot by police - it would have been Armageddon if the police or public were to shoot any more.

The rioter strategy for burning buildings is that the gangs attack the fire fighters and ambulance staff as soon as they arrive on the scene, which means police are "tied" up protecting the firefighters etc and gaining arson evidence whilst they can. The gangs then run off to the next site to attack with less and less police able to protect the new attack areas. A slash and burn tactic.

GaryG
08-12-2011, 08:11 PM
I doubt that would happen in East Tennessee, as most folks out this way are well armed - and then some. If it did, there would be dead rioters from here to there. I can see it now, E State Street in Bristol... I am pretty sure Pell Mell would tell you the same would be likely if they rioted in Newport, TN. You just never know these days.

Pell Mell
08-12-2011, 08:55 PM
I doubt that would happen in East Tennessee, as most folks out this way are well armed - and then some. If it did, there would be dead rioters from here to there. I can see it now, E State Street in Bristol... I am pretty sure Pell Mell would tell you the same would be likely if they rioted in Newport, TN. You just never know these days.

A good portion of 12 yr olds on my mountain can handle a .44 magnum. :cool:

NJ Stinks
08-13-2011, 08:44 PM
NJ,

Yes, and the last thing they want is armed vigilantes taking pop shots at looters, plus anyone else they don't like that "happen to get in the way".
The whole thing started with one man being shot by police - it would have been Armageddon if the police or public were to shoot any more.

The rioter strategy for burning buildings is that the gangs attack the fire fighters and ambulance staff as soon as they arrive on the scene, which means police are "tied" up protecting the firefighters etc and gaining arson evidence whilst they can. The gangs then run off to the next site to attack with less and less police able to protect the new attack areas. A slash and burn tactic.

Interesting post. Appreciate the info. :ThmbUp:

Saw on the news tonight there are riots now in Philadelphia.

sonnyp
08-13-2011, 09:20 PM
philadelphia :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/8699795/Fifty-teens-arrested-in-Philadelphia-curfew-to-fight-social-network-mobs.html

Greyfox
08-13-2011, 11:45 PM
Are the bookies offering action on whether this type of rioting will happen over here?

I'd like to get a bet down. :rolleyes:

Agreed. :ThmbUp:
Bookies no. Rioting among disenfranchised youth? Yes! Just a matter of time.
Try Chicago or Flint, Obama's territory, as a bet if you can get one.

Tom
08-14-2011, 11:26 AM
You guys miss the 60's?

Been there, done that.
Riots have already happened here.

PhantomOnTour
08-14-2011, 11:58 AM

Didn't London and Philly team up with that Live Aid double concert back in 1983?
These two cities are simpatico man...just showin solidarity by having a wee riot of their own.
Nothin wrong with that.

Saratoga_Mike
08-14-2011, 01:33 PM

Not quite right - there was a flash mob incident a few weeks ago, but the arrests on Friday night were related to the new weekend teen curfew. With the exception of an assault in west Philly (not an area I'd advise walking around in after dark), the kids taken in on Friday were arrested for violating the curfew, not attacking people. One kid was 10-yrs-old, according to the Philly Inquirer. His parent(s) should be arrested. Who the hell allows their 10-yr-old to roam the streets of Philly or any city at night (or day)?

Native Texan III
08-14-2011, 08:05 PM

Not quite right - there was a flash mob incident a few weeks ago, but the arrests on Friday night were related to the new weekend teen curfew. With the exception of an assault in west Philly (not an area I'd advise walking around in after dark), the kids taken in on Friday were arrested for violating the curfew, not attacking people. One kid was 10-yrs-old, according to the Philly Inquirer. His parent(s) should be arrested. Who the hell allows their 10-yr-old to roam the streets of Philly or any city at night (or day)?

Some of the "parenting" problem is that a single mother sometimes has to work evenings and on her minimal wages simply cannot afford child care. The kids are "looked after" by older siblings or neighbour's children. That means by default they tag along with the older children for "safety" wherever they go. The gangs then get those youngest to "prove" themselves in committing crimes.

Saratoga_Mike
08-14-2011, 08:53 PM
[QUOTE=Saratoga_Mike]

Some of the "parenting" problem is that a single mother sometimes has to work evenings and on her minimal wages simply cannot afford child care. The kids are "looked after" by older siblings or neighbour's children. That means by default they tag along with the older children for "safety" wherever they go. The gangs then get those youngest to "prove" themselves in committing crimes.

You haven't visited the tougher parts of Philly lately, have you?

NJ Stinks
08-15-2011, 07:04 PM

Thanks for the full story, Mike.