Sea Biscuit
08-07-2011, 02:27 AM
$8,290,672

25,000 plus crowd

How about that

Way to go Jeff Gural

harness2008
08-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Not bad for a track that had one hoof in the grave.

wilderness
08-07-2011, 11:16 AM
The problem is that the majority of the handle (approx., 6-mil) was via simulcasting and the export of the signal.

M1's revenue (on these dollars) is significantly different than a "live person" attending and wagering.

That's the real issue when throwing around these numbers today.

Seems to me the M1 handle on both the Derby (despite having been dark some weeks) and and the Belmont was approximately half of this Hambo Day 8-mil and the outlay (expenses) required for Hambo Day were significantly higher.

In addition, MI is on the reverse end (benefits) from being a simulcast-import and a higher revenue take-out on the Derby and Belmont.

Bottom line, their P&L will likeely show a much higher profit on the Derby and Belmont days Vs., the Hambo Day.

castaway01
08-07-2011, 11:44 AM
The problem is that the majority of the handle (approx., 6-mil) was via simulcasting and the export of the signal.

M1's revenue (on these dollars) is significantly different than a "live person" attending and wagering.

Seems to me the M1 handle on both the Derby (despite having been dark some weeks) and and the Belmont was approximately half of this Hambo Day 8-mil and the outlay (expenses) required for Hambo Day were significantly higher.

In addition, MI is on the reverse end (benefits) from being a simulcast-import and a higher revenue take-out on the Derby and Belmont.

Bottom line, their P&L will likeely show a much higher profit on the Derby and Belmont days Vs., the Hambo Day.

You can't criticize the Meadowlands for that though because EVERY SINGLE TRACK IN THE COUNTRY has 80-90% of its handle come from off track. Why? Because there are a heck of a lot more bettors IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY than there are at ONE SINGLE TRACK, even on a big day, so of course most of the handle comes from off track. Logical, correct? So, while the part about how the handle is distributed is correct (and has been that way since simulcasting started), that can't be a criticism when every other track is the same exact same way.

harness2008
08-07-2011, 12:41 PM

I agree with the fact that there is a larger expenditure of money to promote Hambo day for the Meadowlands and that perhaps is not as big a money maker as it seems compared to Derby day or the Belmont. However something that you can't factor in is the residual effect this has on the racing community in general for the future of the sport. Facts are facts and this track had a near 100% chance of closing its doors permanently not too long ago. I'm not a big Gural lover but he did resurrect this track from the dead and for that he is to be commended. I think that looking at this in the long run is a positive for harness racing in general and although the cash expenditure is enormous on Hambo Day, it is the long term effect for the good of the sport that places this in perspective.

sonnyp
08-07-2011, 12:51 PM
I agree with the fact that there is a larger expenditure of money to promote Hambo day for the Meadowlands and that perhaps is not as big a money maker as it seems compared to Derby day or the Belmont. However something that you can't factor in is the residual effect this has on the racing community in general for the future of the sport. Facts are facts and this track had a near 100% chance of closing its doors permanently not too long ago. I'm not a big Gural lover but he did resurrect this track from the dead and for that he is to be commended. I think that looking at this in the long run is a positive for harness racing in general and although the cash expenditure is enormous on Hambo Day, it is the long term effect for the good of the sport that places this in perspective.

noticeably absent.......gov. christi....no friend of horse racing in n j. he was shootin craps in atlantic city.

wilderness
08-07-2011, 01:00 PM
noticeably absent.......gov. christi....no friend of horse racing in n j. he was shootin craps in atlantic city.

sonny,
there was a gal there from NJ Tourism (embarrassed I don't recall her name) that was quite active.

wilderness
08-07-2011, 01:04 PM
You can't criticize the Meadowlands for that though because EVERY SINGLE TRACK IN THE COUNTRY has 80-90% of its handle come from off track. Why? Because there are a heck of a lot more bettors IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY than there are at ONE SINGLE TRACK, even on a big day, so of course most of the handle comes from off track. Logical, correct? So, while the part about how the handle is distributed is correct (and has been that way since simulcasting started), that can't be a criticism when every other track is the same exact same way.

You shouldn't misconstrue what I provided as criticism.

I was just providing their bottom line focus.

"The Hambletonian" is a good thing, and next to the Kentucky Futurity is the oldest triple-crown race in harness racing.

sonnyp
08-07-2011, 01:08 PM
sonny,
there was a gal there from NJ Tourism (embarrassed I don't recall her name) that was quite active.

don (you're the authority)

the trouble is....nobody else will remember her name either

camourous
08-07-2011, 01:29 PM
I read that they did $69 per person in handle, which at 1st doesnt look good, but there are a lot of families there with kids on Hambo Day, so there are a good portion of people who don't bet, im sure the concessions stands made a killing..

Canarsie
08-07-2011, 01:40 PM
I read that they did $69 per person in handle, which at 1st doesnt look good, but there are a lot of families there with kids on Hambo Day, so there are a good portion of people who don't bet, im sure the concessions stands made a killing..

They were giving away hats lots of people buy 5 admissions or more to get freebies. When they gave away calendars I always bought a bunch all they made is do is flip the turnstile.

It's a big day for M1 but as Don said they really clean up on Derby day because all of the wagers are from simulcasting. Even though it's the premier harness track in the country most of their customers are wagering on the flats. Even at night they watch Penn and Mountaineer more than Balmoral by a wide margin.

Cardus
08-07-2011, 05:01 PM
The on-track handle per person was $69.00.

Otherwise, it seemed like a good day.

Saratoga_Mike
08-07-2011, 06:15 PM
The on-track handle per person was $69.00.

Otherwise, it seemed like a good day.

I guess most showed up for the cheap, made-in-Vietnam baseball caps. Wow, they were crappy - memo to mgt: go with the Chinese-made caps next yr.

RaceTrackDaddy
08-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Have not been to the Big M since Gallo Blue Chip was in the Meadowlands Pace. They had a T-shirt give-a-way that night and the track had about 33k or more. But I have to think that with the T-shirt at $1 admission price, there had to be a few that went backside and paid another dollar to get another shirt.

Surprised at the low per person handle in the on-track stats. I recall from the 80's the goal back at the Meadows was to reach $100 per attendee. Guess the Hambo now like Tioga will be more of a family type atmosphere. It will be more of a county fair track with all the promotions, ballons, cotton candy, etc....

Do they at least sell those Nathan Hot Dogs there? Think I paid $4.50 for one back then (I had two)..lol THe beer was cheaper than the hotdog but worth it.

We left Western Pa in the morning on Friday, arrived at the Big M in time to catch some simulcast action racing downstate at Monmouth..had dinner then the races that night. Next morning we headed south to spend the afernoon at Monmouth Park...after a day of betting the flats. headed back for the Pace.

If anyone would love a two vacation, the above is it...two BigM cards sandwiched around Monmouth Park...just wish I could go back again!

wilderness
08-07-2011, 09:25 PM
I guess most showed up for the cheap, made-in-Vietnam baseball caps.

Any idea if a larger number was given away than last year?

One year, I recall there was either two colors of the shirts and hats, perhaps it was last year.

FWIW, these give-away items were never top-dollar items, not even forty years ago.
Some of the stuff that Windsor Raceway and Hazel Park use to giveaway was pure crap, however it was free.

Some photo's still exists of giveaways for Bret Hanover and Nevele Pride, I've a scan of the later from the 1960's and Chicago.
Some pins/badges still exist for "Battle of the Sexes", which was publicity stunt were women drivers competed against the guys.

A few tracks gave away really cheap money clips during the 1970's, I've one from Raceway Park.

Monticello Raceway is the home of promotions.

sonnyp
08-07-2011, 09:33 PM
i read where monticello had no tellers,only SAM machines, available until 1:00 pm on the hambo card which started at 11:30 am.

are they serious ?

wilderness
08-07-2011, 09:36 PM
i read where monticello had no tellers,only SAM machines, available until 1:00 pm on the hambo card which started at 11:30 am.

are they serious ?

Perhaps there were some attendance stats of previous years to compare to?

Saratoga_Mike
08-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Any idea if a larger number was given away than last year?

One year, I recall there was either two colors of the shirts and hats, perhaps it was last year.

FWIW, these give-away items were never top-dollar items, not even forty years ago.
Some of the stuff that Windsor Raceway and Hazel Park use to giveaway was pure crap, however it was free.

Some photo's still exists of giveaways for Bret Hanover and Nevele Pride, I've a scan of the later from the 1960's and Chicago.
Some pins/badges still exist for "Battle of the Sexes", which was publicity stunt were women drivers competed against the guys.

A few tracks gave away really cheap money clips during the 1970's, I've one from Raceway Park.

Monticello Raceway is the home of promotions.

First, I thought the crowd was smaller than last yr. The hats were in plentiful supply, and they had water bottles for kids, if that's what they wanted. I don't even wear the hats; I just keep them. The quaility this yr was much worse than last yr's.

wilderness
08-07-2011, 09:55 PM
I don't even wear the hats; I just keep them. The quaility this yr was much worse than last yr's.

Perhaps the Hambletonian Society (they pay for all that stuff) was just attempting to spread the freebies around?