PDA

View Full Version : Eagles Futures

DigitalDownsJoe
08-04-2011, 09:44 AM
I am curious how the eagles, who have totally solidified their D in the offseason, got insurance for Vick, and will have one more year and a much more mature Vick, are 12-1!!! I dont normally throw alot on futures, but I think this is one of the best NFL values I have seen in a long time. I think they probably should be more like 6-1, I am all over this big. :jump:

PhantomOnTour
08-04-2011, 09:57 AM
They don't have a SuperBowl QB, esp in the cold Philly weather.
Vick would be better off on the road in January and playing somewhere warm like Atlanta or New Orleans come playoff time.

I think the Saints look like a serious team to win it all this season, and they are my NFC SuperBowl team.

GaryG
08-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Vick will take a pounding, so the chances of him playing the entire season are slim and none. If Young thought the Nashville fans were tough wait until he fumbles late in the game at Philly. Better hope he has toughened up some, although I would be surprised.

Robert Goren
08-04-2011, 10:17 AM
The eagles have some problems with their wide outs. Jackson is holding out. Maclin has mono and has lost 20 lbs, so he not anywhere near football shape. It could be rough start for an offence that is pass happy.

Marshall Bennett
08-04-2011, 11:34 AM
12-1 still seems a bit high.

DigitalDownsJoe
08-04-2011, 07:11 PM
They have 2 shut down corners, and a mobile qb with a good young Rb with a decent tight end, and Djax will be ready. Im not even an eagles fan, and I see this team possibly going 13-3 or 14-2. I dont think the Giants or Skins stand a chance beating them, and we all know that Dallas always chokes. Im not worried about Vick in the cold weather. He did pleanty of it in his career..Plus dont count out all the work he did in the cold for 39 cents an hour in prison :)

Shemp Howard
08-04-2011, 10:12 PM
12-1 on a team that has never won a Super Bowl and has a bad big game coach seems a tad light.

DigitalDownsJoe
08-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Im not saying I would bet them at 6-1 or what not. Just saying i think 12-1 is good value. If you think they cant run the table this year with all this talent..You are seriously mistaken. I think they should have beat the packers last year in the playoffs(who by the way won the superbowl) and this team has loaded up. Best punt returner in football, one of the best young backs in football(maybe other then CJ) a good line, 2 shutdown corners and a passrush..What cant they do? Im dropping a couple hundo on them while its high. Before the season starts it will drop below 10-1..watch

Bettowin
08-05-2011, 01:25 AM
Take Philly now at 12-1 if you feel that strong. When and if they get close you can hedge a bit and make some money or let it ride and lose it all.

newtothegame
08-05-2011, 01:59 AM
Im not saying I would bet them at 6-1 or what not. Just saying i think 12-1 is good value. If you think they cant run the table this year with all this talent..You are seriously mistaken. I think they should have beat the packers last year in the playoffs(who by the way won the superbowl) and this team has loaded up. Best punt returner in football, one of the best young backs in football(maybe other then CJ) a good line, 2 shutdown corners and a passrush..What cant they do? Im dropping a couple hundo on them while its high. Before the season starts it will drop below 10-1..watch

What can't they do?? Well here's a thought...how about protection? Seems Vick missed a few games to injury last year. Took a few big shots if I recall correctly.
Next, all the talent in the world does not make a TEAM. There is time to gell together needed. I would imagine maybe by week four or five they start to hit stride. Withe the first three being Rams, Falcons, and Giants (only giants game at home)...they could easily be 1-2. Not saying they will...just saying the Falcons arent gonna roll over and play dead. The Rams showed improvement last year and I expect them to get better this year. Giants...well thats always a knock down drag out fight (and since you mentioned you felt the eagles should of won against green bay, couldnt you say the same for the implossion the Giants pulled last year giving up like 28 in the fourth against the eagles?/)...
Needless to say, if you feel that strong...get your 12-1.....
I believe currently the Packers are 8-1, Eagles and Pats 9-1, Pitts and Atl 12-1, Ravens and Jets 13-1, Saints 15-1...etc etc...
Doesnt seem like Vegas thinks they are a shoe in either.....

Robert Fischer
08-05-2011, 02:48 AM

Mike Vick is an above average Quarterback, he's a GREAT leader of men, and he should be healthy and hitting a second peak come playoff time.

HOWEVER = Vick and the Eagles will be at the MERCY OF THE MATCHUPS...

the NFL rules have come full circle from the days of a steel curtain D-LINE and a RUNNING GAME steamrolling to the Lombardi Trophy....

anyone who handicaps football while relying on visual appraisal(some(and some winning) football bettors rely solely on stats, power rankings etc, line movement, etc..etc...etc...) can see a TEXTBOOK EXAMPLE in SuperBowl XLV. The Steelers had a defense that "traditionally" would have done very well. In addition to a STRONG blue-collar line with gap skills(holding, moving gaps for linebackers...), they had their trademark dynamic linebackers led by James Harrison. These Linebackers were not only the dominant men on the field but they were tackle machines, they will take a tight-end or recievers head off (literally) and can only be described as predators in reference to their relation to the QUARTERBACK. As if that wasn't the mark of a good traditional defense... the Steelers also had POLAMALU = the greatest Safety to ever play the game. A safety that doubles as a linebacker, is a heat-seeking missle to the ball carrier or quarterback(a rare safety who tackles for LOSES) but most dangerous - his tremendous ability to run down a deep ball and cause the incompletion.
We had witness to what a longtime MONDAY MORNING QUARTERBACKS, coaches, game film buffs, and sports bettors will describe as being among the great champion defenses.

YET!:eek::confused::confused:
IN the game, (and WE PLAY TO WIN THA GAME!!!) :D ,

in the game - the amazing qualities of this defense were completely NEUTRALIZED. They were rendered impotent.
HOW??
A BRILLIANT PASSING GAME PLAN AND A BRILLIANT PASSING QB THAT

Took advantage of the fact that Today's game eliminates contact between DBS and WRS
Short QUICK passes did things

Limited HARRISON and the LINEBACKERSto only 1 CHOICE! being coverage men (no time to blitz, no running game to destroy, too good to come off field!!!)
Made PALAMALU *worthless!! = The Quick short passes = LIMITED HIM exactly like the linebackers - AND worse ELIMINATED HIS PASS HELP D! .... * the Steelers D-coach could have put Polamalu in an area common to short passes like slants... or even put Polamalu as a match-up loose-MAN-2-MAN defender to at least eliminate 1 guy, but they appeared stunned...
a KEY POINT HERE AS IT RELATES TO VICK = only Rodgers and several other elite QBs could have passed well enough to exploit those rules.

need another extreme example??
The RAVENS 2000 DEFENSE (best of all time??) would have been just as powerless vs how the ELITE PASSING rules and exectution has evolved.

as great as VICK is as a football player, and as ELITE THE EAGLES OFFENSIVE COACHING(PASSING GAME) STAFF IS ... Vick can't exploit today's rules to that level.

No matter how good he plays, Vick and the Eagles will need the other team, their matchup, to be "human?".

The EAGLES have a lot going for them- It appears that EAGLES PASS DEFENSE is very strong on paper and may actually be built to take on the modern pass game. Their Offensive coaches know how to exploit the Pass Offense and they have some weapons. Vick is a tremendous leader and has shown that he can execute when his weapons exploit defenses around the league by throwing the ball.
Winning the Super Bowl will come down to MATCHUPS(luck of the draw), and VS the ELITE TEAMS Vick will need to make a couple "PASSING" plays where nothing has been particularly exploited to a broken play and he has to pass under pressure (time left...the game score... )--->and the game score leads into the EAGLES DEFENSE and seeing how a great PASS-D on paper is on the FIELD. :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

DigitalDownsJoe
08-05-2011, 09:52 AM
I think McCoy needs to be talked about as well. He has matured as a pass protector and i consider them to have a good running game as well. He is also the number one receiving back in the league. To me swing passes and check downs are essentially runs and effective on picking up short yardage situations. I think defense wins football games, and they certainly have improved. I agree with you it will take 4 or 5 games to hit stride. Ill be happy with 2-2 after 4, but look at the schedule after that...I dont think their will be much arguement that they will make the playoffs, its going to come down to where they are playing in Jaunuary. If they play at the frozen tundra, it could be a tough matchup..I still like the odds..Im going to throw some on GB repeating as well.. :)