PDA

View Full Version : 60 MINUTES STORY

shanta
11-16-2003, 09:02 PM
JUST GOT HOME AND SAW THE STORY ON 60 MINUTES TONITE ABOUT HOW LAX SECURITY IS AT OUR CHEMICAL FACILITIES. STEVE CROFT AND A CAMERAMAN LITERALLY WALKED INTO A FACILITY THROUGH AN UNLOCKED:eek: :eek: GATE AND WERE STANDING NEXT TO A TANK OF SOME CHEMICAL THAT IF BLOWN UP WOULD HAVE KILLED MOST OR ALL OF PITTSBURG. THIS WAS UNREAL TO WATCH MORE THAN 2 YEARS AFTER 9/11. WHAT THE F#$% IS GOING ON WITH SECURITY IN THIS COUNTRY??? A SIMILAR PLANT WAS SHOWN AROUND N.Y. NJ. THAT COULD ENDANGER 10 MILLION LIVES. :mad: RICHIE

PaceAdvantage
11-16-2003, 09:54 PM
It costs money to increase security, and we're sending all our money to Iraq in order to make that terrorist nation a nicer place to live.....

Makes a lot of sense, right?

kenwoodallpromos
11-17-2003, 01:25 AM
Nobody wants to change anything unless they are forced to in many situations,

richo
11-17-2003, 07:16 PM
Lets face it terrorists have a smorgasboard of targets in a free society and when your dealing with someone who places no value on life how do you stop them from just going from one target to another. one way that i know of place the same value on their lives that they have on ours.

BillW
11-17-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
It costs money to increase security, and we're sending all our money to Iraq in order to make that terrorist nation a nicer place to live.....

Makes a lot of sense, right?
PA,

I think in the case of private industry, you should be comparing the cost of the protection to the salary of the CEO. The Gov't may have to legislate a certain level of protection and enforce it through inspection, but they aren't responsible for paying for it.

Bill (Who lives within earshot of explosions at Dow Chemical and within 50 miles of STNP:eek: )

sq764
11-17-2003, 11:31 PM
I was reading an article blasting these News shows in regards to their undercover findings, and I happen to agree with it.

They run these stories to 'alert' people of the dangers, but in reality, they may be pointing out potential terrorist sites in the process.

The more I thought about it, thinking that a terrorist is watching my local news channel drive right onto the grounds of a local nuclear plant really scares the shit out of me..

BillW
11-18-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by sq764
I was reading an article blasting these News shows in regards to their undercover findings, and I happen to agree with it.

They run these stories to 'alert' people of the dangers, but in reality, they may be pointing out potential terrorist sites in the process.

The more I thought about it, thinking that a terrorist is watching my local news channel drive right onto the grounds of a local nuclear plant really scares the shit out of me..
Yep, mix freedom with the need to sell commercials and it gets pretty scary. Of course the news shows are so good at distorting the truth that they are probably doing us a service :cool:

Bill

JustRalph
11-18-2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by BillW
Yep, mix freedom with the need to sell commercials and it gets pretty scary. Of course the news shows are so good at distorting the truth that they are probably doing us a service :cool:
Bill

Try this one......... last year some 20/20 style show did a half an hour on how they rented a Cessna 172 and were able to fly it right up to the cooling tower of a Nuke Power plant. They called it a great danger...........the cooling towers are rated to withstand a direct strike by a 727. I have seen the video footage of the tests where a 727 doesn't penetrate the facility. But they made a big deal out of it and the Nuke regulatory agency actually received complaints along with the FAA.

andicap
11-18-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by sq764

Oh come on, that's ridiculous. If CBS knows about it, you can be sure the terrorists do. That's always the excuse for a clamp down on Freedom of the Press, a bedrock of our constitution. Where does it end? Where do you starting telling the press not to investigate? Nixon claimed the press shouldn't get the Watergate tapes.
Too often, the press are excluded becuase poliiticans and bureaucrats and company execs are protecting their own asses, not because of secuirty reasons.
We have a right to know about lapses in securityi like "60 Minutes" reported so we can demand that our elected officials fix the problem. if we don't know about the problem how do we know if there is anything wrong.
Should we get the same type of news they have in Russia nowadays where you can be shut down for criticizing the government or violating "national security."

Everyone always extols America's "Freedom," but I'm not sure people really mean it. The freedom to speak your mind and disseminate information that people have a right to know about -- that our security is still paper thin and our government is doing little about it -- is a bedrock of the Bill of Rights and our basic freedoms. It is what people died for in World War II.
Otherwise, we might just as well be Mexico.

JustRalph
11-18-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by andicap
Oh come on, that's ridiculous. If CBS knows about it, you can be sure the terrorists do. That's always the excuse for a clamp down on Freedom of the Press, a bedrock of our constitution. Where does it end? Where do you starting telling the press not to investigate? Nixon claimed the press shouldn't get the Watergate tapes.
Too often, the press are excluded becuase poliiticans and bureaucrats and company execs are protecting their own asses, not because of secuirty reasons.
We have a right to know about lapses in securityi like "60 Minutes" reported so we can demand that our elected officials fix the problem. if we don't know about the problem how do we know if there is anything wrong.
Should we get the same type of news they have in Russia nowadays where you can be shut down for criticizing the government or violating "national security."

Everyone always extols America's "Freedom," but I'm not sure people really mean it. The freedom to speak your mind and disseminate information that people have a right to know about -- that our security is still paper thin and our government is doing little about it -- is a bedrock of the Bill of Rights and our basic freedoms. It is what people died for in World War II.
Otherwise, we might just as well be Mexico.

Andi...... I agree with everything you said......another bedrock issue, the 2nd Amendment.........how about that one?

Suff
11-18-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by JustRalph
Try this one......... last year some 20/20 style show did a half an hour on how they rented a Cessna 172 and were able to fly it right up to the cooling tower of a Nuke Power plant. They called it a great danger...........the cooling towers are rated to withstand a direct strike by a 727. I have seen the video footage of the tests where a 727 doesn't penetrate the facility. But they made a big deal out of it and the Nuke regulatory agency actually received complaints along with the FAA.

I need to Jump In here. They're building TWO Nuke plants in MA Right now. I don't want to work at either...because One's basically in Cape Cod...and the others out west. But Even If I wanted too..I could'nt.

Every Construction Worker must answer a 257 security questionaire. And a personal interview including questions about your personal life.

How much do you drink? Have you ever used Illegal Drugs, Have you or do you plan to travel Internationally and so on and so on.

Two crazy rejections.

q. Have you ever smoked Marijiuana?

a. worker. Yes about a year ago. REJECTED

q. Have you ever smoked Marijuaina?

a. Worker. Yes , once when I was 15 and My Dad Kicked my ASS.

REJECTED.

Also.. They give a drug test..and can and do order Random Breathilizers on the Job. They do 50 Random Breathilizers a Month. No Drinking allowed 10 hours before your shift.

They search Lunch Box's coming in and or exiting the Plant.

In addition they do random searchs of Employees automobiles. Any empty beer cans in a Car? Automatic Termination. So if you had a Beer in your driveway and threw the emptys in the back of your pickup and forgot? Your FIRED!

This and MORE whacky stuff. All on account of Spet 11th.

Presidents of the United States can admit they smoked grass and run the country. But some poor working stiff can't go pound nails.

andicap
11-18-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by JustRalph
Andi...... I agree with everything you said......another bedrock issue, the 2nd Amendment.........how about that one?

Ha, ha. You won't drag me into that one! That's a huge can of worms.

(But I'll take your side on this one:
I'm not anti-hunting as many liberals are: another example of how you can't label all liberals the same. Hunting is not very PC, but is actually good for the animal kingdom in many instances. What happened in NY State is illustrative. Many people stopped hunting in the Catskill region because of all the negative vibes and anti-hunting hysteria from animal lovers -- another group I don't really like, they treat animals better than people -- What happened: the deer population starved to death.)

Besides the gun issue is a lot different in say, Oklahoma than it is in Westchester County, NY. Different culture, different lifestyle, different needs, should be different laws. That's where Howard Dean stands and I agree with him on that. Other Dems are more inflexibly pro gun control. One size doesn't fit all on this issue.

BillW
11-18-2003, 11:45 PM
Guys,

I think the issue in both cases is responsibility. For some reason in this country we always manage to remember the freedoms we have but occasionally forget the responsibility necessary to properly exercise those freedoms.

Bill

PaceAdvantage
11-19-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by andicap
Oh come on, that's ridiculous. If CBS knows about it, you can be sure the terrorists do.

Good points...I agree with most....

JustRalph
11-19-2003, 01:02 AM
Just wondered where you would go with that one.......obvious baiting in jest.........good answer......

Tom
11-19-2003, 12:39 PM
Always wear gloves when you mess with this guy...he is sharp! :D

Tom
11-19-2003, 12:42 PM
Is one of those questions, " Are you an Islamic male between the ages of 15 and 35?"
Guess a lot of this group have committed more terroist acts than pot smokers.
:mad:

BTW, isn't asking that question profiling?

VetScratch
11-21-2003, 06:41 PM
No one who went to high school in my generation would pass the screening for employment at the Nuke plants unless they temper the questions.

How about: "Have you ever sold illegal drugs?" and "Have you used illegal drugs past the age of 21?"

Tom
11-22-2003, 11:04 AM
OR how about other crimes that could obvioously lead to terrorism....

Have you ever run a red light?
Have you ever double parked?
Do you have any outstanding parking tickets?

Security?
BS.

Lefty
11-22-2003, 08:26 PM
Yeah, them anti-gun laws working swell in NY. Let's pile on a few more...