dansan
07-31-2011, 09:10 PM
I'd like to know do sites like winning ponies make money

MMM59
07-31-2011, 10:31 PM
Probably, but remember. "Those who can do, but those who cant, tout "

therussmeister
07-31-2011, 11:07 PM
Do you mean is their website profitable, or do their selections make money?

Stillriledup
07-31-2011, 11:17 PM

No truer words have ever been spoken.

Some_One
08-01-2011, 01:33 AM
When you see all their claims about hitting all these large exotic tickets, you should go check to see how big of a ticket you would need to cover the selections they came in, they have no problems saying they won with a 6th or 7th rank horse coming in the top3/4

toussaud
08-01-2011, 01:50 AM
When you see all their claims about hitting all these large exotic tickets, you should go check to see how big of a ticket you would need to cover the selections they came in, they have no problems saying they won with a 6th or 7th rank horse coming in the top3/4
this is my biggest pet peeve i would guess

i visit/am a member of this razorback forum, and there is an oaklawn subforum as everyone is big on oaklawn when it's up and we talk general horse racing when it's not. anyway, there is this guy who comes and promotes his picks..a nd people pay for them, the guy is a pretty avg handicapper. i remember one day, he made a special post to announce he had "picked" the winners in 8 of the 10 races at oaklawn. fails to mention that he makes 3 picks in each race.

AS a gambler, how does you picking the 3 tote favs really help me, or tell me something else i already don't know? then have the nerve to profess this as handicapping.

i don't, refuse to pay for crap like that, if i do that then what's the point, i might as well go play craps. But hypothetically let's say I did. I want to get a newsletter, or call a number, and be told "look, i got 5 plays for you today, all are 5 to 1 shots or better, all the horses are live, and i'm going to even throw in exotics as well, including a full race breakdown of what will happen" I want a gu to come out and say "look shakleford is going to lose, this is how you need to play the ticket", give me a ticket, for say a tri that is not outrageous and a few times a month i actually hit something.

even worse, IMHO, i don't know if other tracks have them but oaklawn has these green "tip sheets" my dad actually swears by them that's how i know them, i call them green fortunate cookies becuase, the guy somehow manaages to not say a negative things about any horse in any race, and after every race you are looking at the sheet and saying "man this dude was so right"

Canarsie
08-01-2011, 07:44 AM
There are far much better people on here who only pick one horse and it's free. But in the end if you can't trust your own judgement over 90% of the time look for something else to gamble on.

Track Phantom
08-01-2011, 08:18 AM

I don't know if I totally believe this. It makes total sense but I'm a prime example of why this doesn't exactly apply.

I do fairly well with racing. Not consistently a winner year over year but have some very good years and some not so good. However, I provide free analysis for my home track to a lot of players that follow me. I have buddies that are like...."Why the hell would you do that and reduce the odds on the horses you like"? One guy said, "why don't you tout horses you don't like to drive those odds down?" Another buddy answered with "He can't. He has too much of an ego". He was spot on. I like to be right and I like to talk racing. Simple as that. Might be dumb giving away money but, really, who cares?

To me it isn't really about the money. I do it for fun with the hopes of not getting hurt and making something on the side. If I can help some others in the process, so be it.

By the way, feel free to check out my site and let me know what you think http://www.delawaredon.com/Blog.html

Greyfox
08-01-2011, 10:03 AM
To me it isn't really about the money. I do it for fun with the hopes of not getting hurt and making something on the side. If I can help some others in the process, so be it.

Yes!:ThmbUp: I think that many "tipsters" are doing it to help others. First of all, they are human and they have a sense of pride in what they do. Their ego's are in play. Secondly, those who charge for their picks won't be around long if there aren't some gems of wisdom to offer. The belief that "Those who can do and those who can't tout" is without much foundation in reality.

outofthebox
08-01-2011, 05:14 PM
I don't know if I totally believe this. It makes total sense but I'm a prime example of why this doesn't exactly apply.

I do fairly well with racing. Not consistently a winner year over year but have some very good years and some not so good. However, I provide free analysis for my home track to a lot of players that follow me. I have buddies that are like...."Why the hell would you do that and reduce the odds on the horses you like"? One guy said, "why don't you tout horses you don't like to drive those odds down?" Another buddy answered with "He can't. He has too much of an ego". He was spot on. I like to be right and I like to talk racing. Simple as that. Might be dumb giving away money but, really, who cares?

By the way, feel free to check out my site and let me know what you think http://www.delawaredon.com/Blog.htmlGreat site Valento. You sure do put a lot of info and insight into your picks. Well done!

toussaud
08-02-2011, 01:34 PM
Yes!:ThmbUp: I think that many "tipsters" are doing it to help others. First of all, they are human and they have a sense of pride in what they do. Their ego's are in play. Secondly, those who charge for their picks won't be around long if there aren't some gems of wisdom to offer. The belief that "Those who can do and those who can't tout" is without much foundation in reality.
everyone knows me as the horse racing guy. i get asked by my friends of various interests to provide picks or what not. i always make sure that i explain the reasoning/rationale behind my picks.