PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Please

Handiman
07-29-2011, 05:14 PM
I need to take a text file and turn it into a csv file. This is not for handicapping, but didn't know where else to turn but to my brothers here on PA.

I can't find anything that will just take a text file and convert to csv file, everything I find turns text to excel or csv to excel or excel to csv.

I sure need some help guys.

Thanks a bunch!

Handi

michiken
07-29-2011, 05:23 PM
Right click on the file and choose rename. Change the .txt extension to .csv.

If the text values are all separated by commas, you can import it into Excel. If not you will have to manually add the commas so it will import them as fields.

Ken

plainolebill
07-30-2011, 01:16 AM
You can import text into excel and save it as a .csv file, you also do not need to add commas, just specify space or tab delimited when you do the import.

Handiman
07-30-2011, 03:00 AM
I'm trying to import the csv file into my gmail account as contacts. I have about 125 I'm moving from an old email.

I don't have excel so I just wanted to go from lines of names in text and make it a csv. The gmail will import so I don't have to hand load everyone.

Thanks guys. Maybe there is a small program someone could write and make a few bucks cause it isn't out there. I've looked.

Handi:)

plainolebill
07-30-2011, 04:44 AM
I haven't tried it but Open Office has a spreadsheet program: Calc, that's free, it will probably do what you want to do.

098poi
07-30-2011, 05:05 AM
See if your gmail will let you export your current contacts somewhere then add your new contacts and import it back. There is a Xerox printer at work and we do that for people who scan to email.

Handiman
07-30-2011, 05:50 AM
Thanks guys for the help. I appreciate it.

Handi:)