PDA

View Full Version : optional claiming races

phattty
07-28-2011, 10:33 AM
just wondering why a horse that fits the allowance conditions of the race would be entered for the tag...

looking at 2nd sar today #3 looks to fit condition, but is entered for tag [bris pp]

any good reason for this, other than to maybe sell the horse?

turninforhome10
07-28-2011, 11:30 AM
If the horse runs for a tag, they will retain eligibility to run in the same condition next time. You save the condition.

macguy
07-28-2011, 11:57 AM
If the horse runs for a tag, they will retain eligibility to run in the same condition next time. You save the condition.

Yes, it can be a nice strategy at times.

If you've got a competitive horse that you feel can win in say an Optional 35,000n1x claiming race, you can enter the horse for the tag. If the horse wins you can run the horse right back in the same race, this time, you can run him without the claiming price and protect him. Likely the horse will be running against the same/similar horses, and he's already proven he can beat them.

phattty
07-28-2011, 12:02 PM
sounds logical to me

thanks

Robert Goren
07-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Unless he gets claimed

Tom
08-20-2011, 04:17 PM
Very good example of why AOC races are good races. Look at Saratoga, Friday, Race 3, :1: Bwana Babe. He was in for a tag, but he had already won this condition, and had run evenly, showing early speed, in the next higher condition, NW3, last time out at this track.

Lifetime, he had won 8 races, the rest of the field had only won 2 each.

This was one of my prime plays of the trip, and he drew off at 5-1.

classhandicapper
08-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Very good example of why AOC races are good races. Look at Saratoga, Friday, Race 3, :1: Bwana Babe. He was in for a tag, but he had already won this condition, and had run evenly, showing early speed, in the next higher condition, NW3, last time out at this track.

Lifetime, he had won 8 races, the rest of the field had only won 2 each.

This was one of my prime plays of the trip, and he drew off at 5-1.

That was my only play of the day. (not to mention she was coming off what was probably a bad rail last out after making a decent bid inside)

Tom
08-20-2011, 04:52 PM
You should be proud of me, Class. I made 4 bets and chased 2 - both were class plays. This one and Cook's Forest in Thursday's third.