PDA

View Full Version : I HATE USERNAMES AND PASSWORDS!

dav4463
07-27-2011, 06:16 PM
I swear it is getting to the point where I am going to need a username and password to take a dump these days! :bang: :mad:

Rookies
07-27-2011, 07:29 PM
Totally agree with this!:ThmbUp:

And at work, they have me update them on about a 1/2 dozen different informatics systems every 6 weeks or so!:mad:

And in addition, they now want you to use a Cap, a # and symbol.

Hey, I've got a 1-800 # for you to call to register my opinion about this shite...

Dial this: 1-800-RATZ-AZZ!!!:mad:

HUSKER55
07-27-2011, 07:33 PM
that is not funny. one of the parks is thinking of using a pay-as-you-go system to offset expenses

imagine forgetting your pass word (or quarter), or having to swipe a cc to get in and the machine gets stuck
:D

njcurveball
07-27-2011, 07:36 PM
It is pretty much the same "illusion of security" that the X ray gives people in airports.

Most places allow you to reset the password yourself or call a Help Desk, should you choose to forget it.

Now I hope I am not giving away the "hacker house" here but it is painfully easy to find out your Mothers Maiden name if you have an on-line presence. Having that in hand will get you through most Help Desks and many on-line reset prompts.

Personally, I hate resetting them as well and by Management making people do that often, it simply means someone either writes them down or keeps an on-line file of them.

It also means that your password here is probably not the same as any other, since you do not have to reset that as often. It is a smart policy for a "community" computer, but for personal machines it is more than a waste of time.

Again, just like the X ray machines. With a budget battle that has put the FAA out of work, how stupid is it to have million dollar machines that do practically nothing.

Tom
07-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Personally, I hate resetting them as well and by Management making people do that often, it simply means someone either writes them down or keeps an on-line file of them.

Yup. Post-it note on the monitor! :D

Robert Goren
07-28-2011, 08:28 AM
The real fun begins is when your home PC crashes and burns and you decide to buy a new one rather than fix the old one.

lamboguy
07-28-2011, 08:34 AM
there is a new technology today where authorities can point an instrument right at your pupils and they can tell who you really are and your whole life history. this is 100 steps beyond fingerprints.

Canarsie
07-28-2011, 10:20 AM
The real fun begins is when your home PC crashes and burns and you decide to buy a new one rather than fix the old one.

What's so hard about writing them down in a book, put them on a pen drive, export them to an external drive that isn't constantly kept on, or burning them to a cd?

I can mention other alternatives but those are enough.

Any of the above and you are back in business along with your bookmarks in a few minutes.

Robert Goren
07-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Actually I have gone to lastpass after the last crash. But a better idea would be for these site to stopped requiring fancier and fancier passwords. I don't think it increases security one bit. There are all sorts of password breaker programs outhere that can get into almost any account. Now getting access to the site as whole might be a different story, although based on the number of emails i get telling me that my info might have compromised because there site was hacked, I wonder about that.

PaceAdvantage
07-28-2011, 11:12 AM
there is a new technology today where authorities can point an instrument right at your pupils and they can tell who you really are and your whole life history. this is 100 steps beyond fingerprints.Link? :lol:

DJofSD
07-28-2011, 11:19 AM
there is a new technology today where authorities can point an instrument right at your pupils and they can tell who you really are and your whole life history. this is 100 steps beyond fingerprints.
Biometrics is not new. Getting to be relatively affordable is.

Some PCs have fingerprint readers. That's great to help protect access to the local machine but doesn't do diddly for remote access via the internet.

If it is important enough, a company will offer something like RSA doggles to help protect access to user accounts. But that is just acting as a gate keeper. What happens on the remote system to protect the data and unauthorized access is yet another matter.

Pell Mell
07-28-2011, 11:20 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/07/27/facial-recognition-tech-to-fight-crime-stirs-controversy/

DJofSD
07-28-2011, 11:25 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/07/27/facial-recognition-tech-to-fight-crime-stirs-controversy/
Thanks.

Been to Vegas? Very likely, you've been subjected to facial recognition.

Like M. Jagger said, all secrecy, no privacy.

lamboguy
07-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Link? :lol:
http://www.biometrics.gov/

boxcar
07-28-2011, 12:58 PM
What's so hard about writing them down in a book, put them on a pen drive, export them to an external drive that isn't constantly kept on, or burning them to a cd?

I can mention other alternatives but those are enough.

Any of the above and you are back in business along with your bookmarks in a few minutes.

Exactly! No big deal at all. I've kept my personal information (including user ID's, Passwords, etc.) on a thumb drive for years. I have even kept this sensitive info on my HD with strong encryption.

Boxcar

Canarsie
07-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Actually I have gone to lastpass after the last crash. But a better idea would be for these site to stopped requiring fancier and fancier passwords. I don't think it increases security one bit. There are all sorts of password breaker programs outhere that can get into almost any account. Now getting access to the site as whole might be a different story, although based on the number of emails i get telling me that my info might have compromised because there site was hacked, I wonder about that.

It's not hard to have a fancy password on a pen drive then copy and paste it.

Depends on the site I think Yahoo allows less than 5 log ins before your account is frozen and gmail is a real hefty number I forget exactly what.

I don't blame them for fancier passwords. back in the 90's they wanted to jail Phil Zimmerman (Mike and others should remember this) for using an encryption program called PGP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy

In those day it would take years for the feds to break it, now with processing power probably way under 5 minutes.

Still have my DOS key on a disk for old times sake.

lamboguy
07-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Link? :lol:
http://www.biometrics.gov/Documents/NSPD59%20HSPD24.pdfhttp://www.biometrics.gov/Documents/HSPD12.pdf

Robert Goren
07-28-2011, 01:23 PM
It is not the copying to a flash drive, but finding the flash drive when I need it that worries me. I recently spent the better part of day trying to find a book until I figure out it was in my station wagon with a lot of other stuff from my old job.

DJofSD
07-28-2011, 01:35 PM
A place for every thing and every thing in its place.

Tom
07-28-2011, 01:50 PM
A place for everything and everything out of place.

Canarsie
07-28-2011, 01:50 PM
It is not the copying to a flash drive, but finding the flash drive when I need it that worries me. I recently spent the better part of day trying to find a book until I figure out it was in my station wagon with a lot of other stuff from my old job.

A cigar box works great for pen drives, cd's and other small computer stuff. Will even fit a small note pad with info on it.

DJofSD
07-28-2011, 01:56 PM
I find products from http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/ at my local stationary/office supply stores.

dav4463
09-05-2011, 11:43 PM
When every website I go to asks for a password; I just set one and then forget to write it down....too lazy, can't find a pen, etc.....then when I go back....."forgot password?"....what is your "user name".....I FORGOT IT TOO!!!! AAAARRRRGGGHHHHHH !

ceejay
09-06-2011, 01:44 PM
One of my financial services companies uses various near-random questions as a secondary password for logging in. Something like a maternal grandfathers shoe size and 2 others (oldest cousin's pet's name, little league batting average, etc.). When I called for help customer support told me to use the same answer for each of the questions.

Personally, I suspect that these alleged security measures cost businesses and society more money than they save.

DJofSD
09-06-2011, 01:49 PM
One of my financial services companies uses various near-random questions as a secondary password for logging in. Something like a maternal grandfathers shoe size and 2 others (oldest cousin's pet's name, little league batting average, etc.). When I called for help customer support told me to use the same answer for each of the questions.

Personally, I suspect that these alleged security measures cost businesses and society more money than they save.
That person that told you to use the same password should be reprimanded. And, if the software does not check those additional responses are all different, then the programmer/administrator should be fired.