PDA

View Full Version : Duel on the Downs

gm10
07-27-2011, 09:20 AM
One of the most anticipated clashes of the year ... Frankel vs Canford Cliffs.

Frankel is taking most of the money. I prefer CC myself, but it's not really a race to bet heavily on imo.

lamboguy
07-27-2011, 09:43 AM
FRANKEL is a 3 year old. real nice horse though, but still ambitious.

nearco
07-27-2011, 10:06 AM
FRANKEL is a 3 year old. real nice horse though, but still ambitious.

Canford won this race last year as a 3yo, beating older horses including Rip Van Winkle. Other 3yos have won it. Considering the 8lbs they get, it's not terribly ambitious.

gm10
07-27-2011, 10:14 AM
that was simply amazing
what a horse

nearco
07-27-2011, 10:15 AM
All I can say is WOOOOW!!!

horses4courses
07-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Frankel was spectacular!

OTM Al
07-27-2011, 10:16 AM
that was simply amazing
what a horse

Nothing to pressure him on the front end so he had complete control of the race. Nice effort to be sure, but less impressive than it looked.

lamboguy
07-27-2011, 10:17 AM
this was the greatest performance i have ever seen by any 3 year old anywhere. FRANKEL just beat the guy that won this race last year and he is a 3yo.

horses4courses
07-27-2011, 10:19 AM
Nothing to pressure him on the front end so he had complete control of the race. Nice effort to be sure, but less impressive than it looked.

True, the ground, track, and pace set-up were all in his favor.
However, that turn of foot is devastating.

senortout
07-27-2011, 10:20 AM
I liked Frankel under those circumstances, very nice win, but no pace on, as mentioned.

OTM Al
07-27-2011, 10:29 AM
True, the ground, track, and pace set-up were all in his favor.
However, that turn of foot is devastating.

Yes it is, which is why I was hoping to have a fuller field in which he would get pushed hard early because he's also shown himself to be headstrong. Make him use up that burst of speed early and he would have been vulnerable, but as it was, they just handed it to him on the veritable silver platter.

gm10
07-27-2011, 10:32 AM
I'm not sure that the pace was that slow. He had the others already in trouble before quickening in the straight 2-3F from home.

gm10
07-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Yes it is, which is why I was hoping to have a fuller field in which he would get pushed hard early because he's also shown himself to be headstrong. Make him use up that burst of speed early and he would have been vulnerable, but as it was, they just handed it to him on the veritable silver platter.

Do you remember the Guineas?

nearco
07-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Do you remember the Guineas?

Do you remember Ascot? This horse is vulnerable to a pacemaker/spoiler, I'm surprised no one has tried to take advantage of that yet.

lamboguy
07-27-2011, 11:50 AM
i know he got 8 pounds, but that horse had about 5 different gears.

gm10
07-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Do you remember Ascot? This horse is vulnerable to a pacemaker/spoiler, I'm surprised no one has tried to take advantage of that yet.

Well that's a valid opinion, since the St James' Palace Stakes remains open to interpretation. Was it jockey error, was the horse idling or did he have a bad day, was the ground more tiring that we thought, or is Frankel really quite vulnerable if he goes a bit too soon. Personally I think he is not that headstrong anymore and his tactical speed makes it very difficult to force him to commit too early, but I've seen Queally do it quite a few times this year, so it probably can't be ruled out.

We may still find out. He's running one more time this season (QE II) and will be kept in training next year.

nearco
07-27-2011, 12:05 PM
I think the only way to beat this horse is with intentionally destructive tactics, ie run a horse a length or two in front of him and mess with his head and try to draw him out and don't let him settle by increasing and decreasing the pace. Whoever would do that would probably be roundly slated.

toussaud
07-27-2011, 12:09 PM
man what he just did to Crandford Cliffs. you can't put that into words.

i would love to see him go versus goldy in the bC mile.

OTM Al
07-27-2011, 12:47 PM
man what he just did to Crandford Cliffs. you can't put that into words.

i would love to see him go versus goldy in the bC mile.

Don't hold your breath as he ain't coming. British Champions Day will be his last this year. I actually kinda want to go to that...He stole the race on the front as confirmed by the final time of 1:37.47. That's a decent time for a mile over there, but not exceptional. They were not running fast early. Consider what you just saw as a match race, which often goes to the horse that can control the pace. Yes, he has a huge acceleration, so if you want to say he has gears, I've seen 2. I really waited for this race to go against him, but the field was just too small.

gm10
07-27-2011, 04:19 PM
FRANKEL was hailed as one of the all-time greats by his legendary trainer Sir Henry Cecil after he stretched his unbeaten record to eight when he dismissed Canford Cliffs in devastating fashion in Goodwood's much-vaunted Duel on the Downs.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/glorious-goodwood-goodwood-super-frankel-probably-best-ive-seen-cecil/890927/

nijinski
07-27-2011, 04:46 PM
Just got in and I'm psyched for Frankel. Hannon needed to to be humbled a notch .