PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga P3 Surface Switch

Spiderman
07-25-2011, 07:44 PM
I bet the P3, races 2-4. After betting and during the second leg, race 3, the last leg was declared off-turf. Unfortunately, my selection for turf, #8, ran. I would have preferred that the payout would be ALL and thought that was the rule at nyra tracks.

the little guy
07-25-2011, 07:48 PM
I bet the P3, races 2-4. After betting and during the second leg, race 3, the last leg was declared off-turf. Unfortunately, my selection for turf, #8, ran. I would have preferred that the payout would be ALL and thought that was the rule at nyra tracks.

The off-turf rules are for NY State, and they are for Pick-6s and Pick-4s....not Pick-3s or doubles.

Spiderman
07-25-2011, 07:53 PM
Thanks. With a scratch in 2nd or 3rd leg, ticket gets post time fave?

the little guy
07-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Thanks. With a scratch in 2nd or 3rd leg, ticket gets post time fave?

Not in Pick-3s or doubles. You get a consolation. Just take a look at the payoffs today and this is self-evident.

Spiderman
07-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Not in Pick-3s or doubles. You get a consolation. Just take a look at the payoffs today and this is self-evident.

Thanks.

point given
07-25-2011, 08:18 PM
[QUOTE=Spiderman]Thanks. With a scratch in 2nd or 3rd leg, ticket gets post time fave?[/QUOTE

just saw tlg response so deleted 1st response

When i saw the rain before the 2nd , I smelled a rat and cancelled all bets, i had this type thing happen before with nyra making a late call ,taking their takeout etc. They got the one turfer inand dealt with it after

PaceAdvantage
07-26-2011, 01:22 AM
[QUOTE=Spiderman]Thanks. With a scratch in 2nd or 3rd leg, ticket gets post time fave?[/QUOTE

just saw tlg response so deleted 1st response

When i saw the rain before the 2nd , I smelled a rat and cancelled all bets, i had this type thing happen before with nyra making a late call ,taking their takeout etc. They got the one turfer inand dealt with it afterYeah, it's all just a grand conspiracy.

Spiderman
07-26-2011, 06:06 AM
[QUOTE=point given]Yeah, it's all just a grand conspiracy.
They knew rain was coming. They do get more handle when more horses are running. Simple.

point given
07-26-2011, 09:28 AM
[QUOTE=PaceAdvantage]
They knew rain was coming. They do get more handle when more horses are running. Simple.

Thats the point. Thank you

the little guy
07-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Thats the point. Thank you

Here's the truth, we neither knew nor could have known that the specific weather that came was, in fact, coming. The weather is extremely tricky here in Saratoga ( I don't understand weather, but they say it's a mountain thing, and " they " know better than me ) so frequently storms both materialize and disappear without much warning. Sometimes we get wildly lucky and miss strong weather, and frequently the opposite occurs. I have actually seen it pouring on one side of Union Avenue while not raining on the other. It's bizarre...but we really didn't know that storm was going to hit at that time with that ferocity. We didn't know because we couldn't know.

We moved up post times yesterday for what may have been the first time ever in Saratoga. Moving up post times costs us money in handle. This is a fact. We do this in hopes of avoiding storms scheduled for late in the day, or at least mitigating the brunt of them by ending earlier, in hopes of saving scheduled grass races, and keeping fields intact which overall is better for everyone, our customers, our horsemen and owners, and us. However, if the rains come early, as they did yesterday, moving up post times does none of the positive things mentioned, it just costs us money. So, NO we didn't know the weather was coming as it did.

There was a large carryover after the 2010 Belmont ( not quite as large as this year's but close ). The final race was a scheduled grass race. The courses had already taken some rain, but were OK to race on, however we were worried about possible late day rain, and specifically how that could adversely affect the many people playing the big carryover. We moved up post times but also made a decision ( let's say around 10am ) to take the final race off the grass, as this was the fairest thing for Pick-6 players. Does this kind of decision making agree with what you are suggesting?

Nobody is perfect, and everyone makes mistakes, but thinking does not occur in the manner that you suggested. And yesterday, it couldn't have.

PaceAdvantage
07-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Here's the truth, we neither knew nor could have known that the specific weather that came was, in fact, coming. The weather is extremely tricky here in Saratoga ( I don't understand weather, but they say it's a mountain thing, and " they " know better than me ) so frequently storms both materialize and disappear without much warning. Sometimes we get wildly lucky and miss strong weather, and frequently the opposite occurs. I have actually seen it pouring on one side of Union Avenue while not raining on the other. It's bizarre...but we really didn't know that storm was going to hit at that time with that ferocity. We didn't know because we couldn't know.

We moved up post times yesterday for what may have been the first time ever in Saratoga. Moving up post times costs us money in handle. This is a fact. We do this in hopes of avoiding storms scheduled for late in the day, or at least mitigating the brunt of them by ending earlier, in hopes of saving scheduled grass races, and keeping fields intact which overall is better for everyone, our customers, our horsemen and owners, and us. However, if the rains come early, as they did yesterday, moving up post times does none of the positive things mentioned, it just costs us money. So, NO we didn't know the weather was coming as it did.

There was a large carryover after the 2010 Belmont ( not quite as large as this year's but close ). The final race was a scheduled grass race. The courses had already taken some rain, but were OK to race on, however we were worried about possible late day rain, and specifically how that could adversely affect the many people playing the big carryover. We moved up post times but also made a decision ( let's say around 10am ) to take the final race off the grass, as this was the fairest thing for Pick-6 players. Does this kind of decision making agree with what you are suggesting?

Nobody is perfect, and everyone makes mistakes, but thinking does not occur in the manner that you suggested. And yesterday, it couldn't have.That's the point. Thank you.

point given
07-26-2011, 10:52 AM

Nobody is perfect, and everyone makes mistakes, but thinking does not occur in the manner that you suggested. And yesterday, it couldn't have.

Thank you for your explainatory post. Its just that similar circumstances have occurred to me in the past with playing horizontal bets . I was remiss in not checking the weather report, but I did listen to the announcement for the the moving up of post times and then saw some umbrellas and rain gear on , prior to the 2nd race so cancelled all bets until all was sorted out.

You make a valid point , that moving up post times costs the track money though and is not lost on me, however, it would have helped out bettors to know the change in weather occurring before the start of the 2nd race . Just saying..........

the little guy
07-26-2011, 02:44 PM
You make a valid point , that moving up post times costs the track money though and is not lost on me, however, it would have helped out bettors to know the change in weather occurring before the start of the 2nd race . Just saying..........

Jason and I made this clear when we discussed the second race. However, the rain did not get extremely hard until the horses were nearing the gate. The strong storm materialized VERY quickly.