PDA

View Full Version : Track Stats

Tom
11-15-2003, 12:39 PM
BRIS is offering Track Stats for $10 in PDF dowmloads. Bough the one for Aqu. In the section fro Speed Rating Pars, they giv eyou the pars in TSN speed ratings! Not in BRIS numbers.
Ya know, the incompetance that snakes through these dat-providers is just un-macthed . For a lousy $10, I learned a very valuable lesson-neve, ever, buy anything from BRIS again. BRIS is an acronym that applied to my ten-spot:
Bad
Risk
If
Spent!

:mad:

takeout
11-15-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Tom

Bad
Risk
If
Spent!
Good one! :D

I've learned a lot of things like that the hard way myself. In my case it used to be because they were using the DRF data. These days it appears that they are just messing up on their own.

JimG
11-16-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Tom
BRIS is offering Track Stats for $10 in PDF dowmloads. Bough the one for Aqu. In the section fro Speed Rating Pars, they giv eyou the pars in TSN speed ratings! Not in BRIS numbers.
Ya know, the incompetance that snakes through these dat-providers is just un-macthed . For a lousy $10, I learned a very valuable lesson-neve, ever, buy anything from BRIS again. BRIS is an acronym that applied to my ten-spot:
Bad
Risk
If
Spent!

:mad:

If you write them and ask them to credit your account since the figs were not what you expected, I bet they will.

Jim

Tom
11-16-2003, 11:01 AM
The rest of the stats are useful, so I can't really ask for money back when the Pars were only part of my desision to buy.
Jsut find it funny how out of touch with horseplayes BRIS can be.

.....side note:
Went to renew my subscription to Sim Weekly yesterday, and in true DRF fashion, the renewal coupon would not fit into the envelope they provided! About a 1/16 inch to long, and 1/32 to wide.
Must be they farmed out their postal services to what, Sri Lanka?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

VetScratch
11-16-2003, 11:33 AM
Tom,

The cover page for the AQU Track Stats clearly states in great big letters that Track Stats are a TSN product. So everything you see in Track Stats is based on TSN/Equibase data.

In effect, BRIS is acting as a re-seller of a TSN product just as they are a re-seller of many other products.

However, I bet you are not the only customer who thinks BRIS was cheezy about the way they sold Track Stats... customers are on the hook for $10 before they find out that they have just bought a TSN product.

Conversely, practically everything at TSN is merely a copycat of a BRIS product... the difference being that BRIS is a DRF VAR and TSN is an EquiBase VAR.

takeout
11-18-2003, 02:31 AM
Isn't that a hoot? For the last dozen years or so, every product that you buy has to first be checked to see whose data it was made from. Having two data sources is THE single dumbest thing I've ever seen happen in this industry.

andicap
11-18-2003, 02:06 PM
here's the reply I received when I asked the difference:
---------
In a nutshell, they are calculated very similarly. However, both calculate their own daily pace variants and maintain their own pars and projections.

--------

Secretariat
11-18-2003, 06:48 PM
My understanding is that Bris and TSN receive all their raw handicapping data from Equibase, and derive their own speed/class figures.

I've been told that Bris TSN, TSNBet and BrisBet are all located in the same building, and that they are seperate entities but owned by the SAME family.

Recently, BrisBet has tried to attract more betting customers by putting restrictions on the 20% discount credit on downloaded Bris files for having a BrisBet account. Originally, this was offered to any user who bet via BrisBet. Now you have to bet $200 before the discount goes into effect. I asked them how they felt this would attract more customers. In truth it was a decision to remove lower end bettors from betting through Bris just for the discount. What is the best online betting deal? E-horse? I hear they offer rebates. Seriously thinking of moving away from Bris after this.

VetScratch
11-18-2003, 07:54 PM
What is the time period in which $200 must be bet... I was under the impression that it was per month or week? So far, I've stayed with YouBet because they give unlimited free streaming A/V for betting a pretty modest sum each month, and if you make just a few serious plays, they give you a year of free A/V.

Secretariat
11-19-2003, 04:58 AM
200 A month. What bothers me is their change with little warning. I figure they sucker you in with this come on, and then up the ante. Who's to say they won't do the same again? In fact, the management person I talked to told me they are contemplating ending all discounts via BrisBet.

takeout
11-19-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Secretariat
My understanding is that Bris and TSN receive all their raw handicapping data from Equibase,
TSN receives its data straight from Equibase.

BRIS receives its data from DRF who receives it from Equibase.

It's a ridiculous situation that has been gumming up the works for well over a decade now.

That's why I said that having two data sources, EQ & DRF (when we all know that EQ is really the only one) is THE single dumbest thing that I've ever seen that has been allowed to transpire in this industry.

Not only that, but for years some of the correct data from EQ (especially trainer names) was being made incorrect by DRF as it passed through their hands, and then, of course, staying incorrect in the BRIS files. I'm sure that it is just as wrong today in the BRIS archives as it was then.

Conclusion: It would have really been nice if Crist & his investment company could have figured out a way to stay in business without messing up the whole damn PP industry. :mad:

takeout
11-19-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Secretariat
What bothers me is their change with little warning. I figure they sucker you in with this come on, and then up the ante. Who's to say they won't do the same again?
A lot of companies operate in this fashion.

What they are telling you is what DRF & BRIS were telling me over a decade ago with their incorrect data: We don't want your business anymore.

Fine. To quote Ernie Dahlman: "I can go elsewhere."