PDA

View Full Version : Horse races inside pylons...no dq??

Knowclew
07-25-2011, 07:04 AM
Chester R9, Sunday 7-24.

Nova Artist, 1-9 shot, while on the lead, races inside one pylon mid turn,
and 2 or 3 pylons entering the stretch. Straightens out late stretch to win by a few lengths.

15 minute inquiry...results stand. Immediately following the official, a steward comes on live to explain their ruling. He stammers through a 2 minute statement, which includes the description of multiple pylon violations, but that
since he only gained a few feet advantage, his margin of victory offsets
the infraction....

Obviously this cost me some money, though nothing substantial to
lose my perspective on.

While I think it was great to have a steward come on live immediately
(NEVER have heard this before), the mere fact he came on lends to the
head scratch. But his explanation of he DID commit multiple fouls, but would have won anyway is hard to swallow. If there was a rail, he would have hit it...he left the course for his own benefit.

The whole thing reeks of "we don't have the balls" to take down a 1-9 shot
on a busy Sunday in the middle of our guar. Pick 4 when there was no obvious interference foul that all could see.

Wondering if anyone else saw this on Sunday (not much other harness in the afternoon). Also, I have had trouble finding how the rule reads regarding this type of violation.

Thanks for any comments...and allowing me to vent.

Augie16
07-25-2011, 09:11 AM
The rulings seem to be solely up to the judge and there is little consistency. In a case like yesterday's I have seen them let the winner stand, be placed behind any horses that may have lapped upon him, or taken out of the money entirely. It seems to vary from track to track and judge to judge.

harness2008
07-25-2011, 07:03 PM
The whole thing reeks of "we don't have the balls" to take down a 1-9 shot
on a busy Sunday in the middle of our guar. Pick 4 when there was no obvious interference foul that all could see.

I think your reasoning above is the best reason for the no DQ. I mean c'mon, a rule is a rule. The stewards cannot logically compare the amount he gained by cutting the pylons on the turn to his eventual margin of victory. That's absurd. The advantage gained on the turn places him in a different spot compared to racing outside the pylons as he should have raced which effects the other horses around him. The delay made me think that the stewards were considering a DQ but they chose to look the other way. We need more consistency in these rulings from track to track. This was indeed bogus.