PDA

View Full Version : DMR pick 4 badly outhandling pick 5.

Stillriledup
07-25-2011, 05:23 AM
This is shocking to me considering the low takeout of the pick 5 and the much better payouts. Why would a bettor concentrate his bankroll on the pick 4 when the pick 5 is not only a better bet takeoutwise, but it gives you a chance for better score than the pick 4.

I could see the pick 4 slightly outhandling the pick 5 because its easier to hit, but its not like the Pick 5 is impossible, especially with the 50 cent base.

andymays
07-25-2011, 05:31 AM
This is shocking to me considering the low takeout of the pick 5 and the much better payouts. Why would a bettor concentrate his bankroll on the pick 4 when the pick 5 is not only a better bet takeoutwise, but it gives you a chance for better score than the pick 4.

I could see the pick 4 slightly outhandling the pick 5 because its easier to hit, but its not like the Pick 5 is impossible, especially with the 50 cent base.

It's in the first race of the day. It's handling 3 or 4 times what they thought it would handle.

lamboguy
07-25-2011, 05:39 AM
simple and only reason, the rebates aren't as big. rebate players could care less what the takeout is, its all about the rebate.i think that was the main reason they raised the takeout to begin with.

rwwupl
07-25-2011, 09:45 AM
The low take out p-5 starting with the first race is a sensation and an unexpected development by many, and out handles by a mile any bet starting with the first race.

It has exceeded all estimates. I think it did well against the p-4 starting in the 2nd race during Hollywood. I do not have numbers yet for Del Mar.

Take nothing away from the p-4 or the p-6, they have all found their niche.

rw

Igeteven
07-25-2011, 11:27 AM

It's all a matter of choice, nothing more, I only know one person who plays them both. :eek:

However as a player, it's hard enough to hit one. :mad:

Igeteven
07-25-2011, 11:38 AM
Here is another factor I have seen, to hit a good one at Del Mar, one must use a ton of money or be very lucky.

To play a pick 5 at Del Mar, to put in a decent ticket, one is looking at a 500 dollar bill.

To play a pick 4, one can do it for a couple of hundred dollars.

I will stick to the pick 4.

rwwupl
07-25-2011, 12:23 PM
It should be understood, that the "players p-5", with a low (14%) take out was promoted for more than one reason by the players.

It was very clear to all that the "Players Boycott" was very successful at Santa Anita... which the TOC was opposed at that time to lower any reduction in take out... we wanted it for Santa Anita to compare the lower take exotic with the higher take exotics that added 2-3 % to certain wagers.

When Hollywood came up, thanks to Hollywood management they wanted it too, but the only way the TOC would approve the bet was that the TOC wanted more than their normal slice of the pie. Hollywood took less because they believed in the concept too, and wanted to see side by side the high take bet vs. the low take bet.....Hats off to Hollywood.

It has been a sensation. The only first race bet in U.S history that handled more, was a Breeders Cup first race.

It proved to all California managers that the lower take bets will create more business and interest than the higher take bets.

When the subject came up at the most recent meeting at Del Mar Hilton and the talk centered on how can we prove that lower take will increase business and not hurt the horsemen or tracks, we said you have the answer in front of you...we have already proved it to you... look at the Players p-5 at 14% and compare it with the higher take exotics.

Our data sheets list each type of bet and percentage plus or minus from the previous season. There was no counter point made and the nodding up and down required nothing more.

California continues to be in process of change. We want California to be a more customer friendly place... we are doing things (we think)to make that happen....and believe it will happen.

Thanks for all of your support.

Roger Way

toussaud
07-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Here is another factor I have seen, to hit a good one at Del Mar, one must use a ton of money or be very lucky.

To play a pick 5 at Del Mar, to put in a decent ticket, one is looking at a 500 dollar bill.

To play a pick 4, one can do it for a couple of hundred dollars.

I will stick to the pick 4.
this is it right here

at hollywood park, you could play a pick 5 and it not break the bank becuase there are no horses lol. but del mar has entries.

it's all down to bankroll. even with the higher takeout, a pick 4 is easier to hit then a pick 5.

Igeteven
07-25-2011, 01:05 PM
rwwupl

Pick 5 handle is great and the pick 4 handle is great.

Who cares about the take out on these bets, give us a break, if anyone was really worried, we would not play it.

one must win it to worry about the take out. just winning it, that's my problem.

rwwupl
07-25-2011, 01:15 PM
this is it right here

at Hollywood park, you could play a pick 5 and it not break the bank becuase there are no horses lol. but del mar has entries.

it's all down to bankroll. even with the higher takeout, a pick 4 is easier to hit then a pick 5.

The p-4 has its fans for various reasons, but do you realize how much you are being charged to play a p-4 at Del Mar ?

P-4 =23.68%

p-5= 14.00%

If you play very often and would like to have a better chance to come out ahead... you should consider this.

If you do not win, the take is 100% anyway and it does not matter.

The crowd at Del Mar is 40% women and a high percent of vacationers, which is good.. but they are not informed on things of this nature ... if they came around more often they would be better informed.

Many just expect to lose and write it off as part of the vacation experience, but the people who play year around have to consider how they do in the pari-mutuels, of find another way to spend their time.

Yes , it is true, that some just want action and entertainment and do not care about the details. They talk about their "Bad Luck".

Anyway, best to all and your choices of bets.

Igeteven
07-25-2011, 01:24 PM
YES , it's pure entrainment for the people who go to the track or they are very serious in their plays or others who play at home, it's not entrainment, it's gambling.

We have a choice to go where we want to play, we have a choice on what type of bet we are going to play.

No one is putting a gun to anyone head to force them to play a pick 4 or a pick 5 or even a pick 6

Again, it all a matter of choice, nothing else.

Me, I just want to win.

toussaud
07-25-2011, 01:33 PM
The p-4 has its fans for various reasons, but do you realize how much you are being charged to play a p-4 at Del Mar ?

P-4 =23.68%

p-5= 14.00%

If you play very often and would like to have a better chance to come out ahead... you should consider this.

If you do not win, the take is 100% anyway and it does not matter.

The crowd at Del Mar is 40% women and a high percent of vacationers, which is good.. but they are not informed on things of this nature ... if they came around more often they would be better informed.

Many just expect to lose and write it off as part of the vacation experience, but the people who play year around have to consider how they do in the pari-mutuels, of find another way to spend their time.

Yes , it is true, that some just want action and entertainment and do not care about the details. They talk about their "Bad Luck".

Anyway, best to all and your choices of bets.

the takeout is not the end all be all of what a person should wager.

regardless of what the payout is, it cost less to play a pick 4 than a pick 5. that's a big deal to alot of handicappers and fans.

i don't play either. i play nothing but w/p/s wagers. i'm just stating, I think we get too caught up here in the fine print at times to see the big picture.

You are looking at a 5 race with 8 horses in 1 race, 5 in the next 13 in the next 10 in the next, and 9 in the next. that's alot of money. at Hollywood park it wasn't as bad because all the races had short fields.

rwwupl
07-25-2011, 02:55 PM
I have one more thing to offer in this exchange... The p-4 that is being ref. to is the late p-4 and is popular for its own reasons, but comparing an early bet with a late bet is apples and oranges.

I would also offer that the early p-5 has surpassed the p-6 pool 3 out of the first 4 days, and the day it did not was a carryover day for the p-6.

THe early new players pick-5 is a sensational development that proves "take out matters" to those who gamble and care about their money.

rw

Igeteven
07-25-2011, 02:58 PM
I have one more thing to offer in this exchange... The p-4 that is being ref. to is the late p-4 and is popular for its own reasons, but comparing an early bet with a late bet is apples and oranges.

I would also offer that the early p-5 has surpassed the p-6 pool 3 out of the first 4 days, and the day it did not was a carryover day for the p-6.

THe early new players pick-5 is a sensational development that proves "take out matters" to those who gamble and care about their money.

rw

ok, I can see the logic in that, :)

Stillriledup
07-25-2011, 07:18 PM
the takeout is not the end all be all of what a person should wager.

regardless of what the payout is, it cost less to play a pick 4 than a pick 5. that's a big deal to alot of handicappers and fans.

i don't play either. i play nothing but w/p/s wagers. i'm just stating, I think we get too caught up here in the fine print at times to see the big picture.

You are looking at a 5 race with 8 horses in 1 race, 5 in the next 13 in the next 10 in the next, and 9 in the next. that's alot of money. at Hollywood park it wasn't as bad because all the races had short fields.

But, whatever you're spending, you can spend the same exact amt on the pick 5 with less combinations.

If you bet 13.50 on a pick 4 you can go single by 3 by 3 by 3. With the pick 5, its the same cost, you just need to go single by single by 3 by 3 by 3. You just add one more single, it doesnt cost less because you can determine exactly how much you want to invest, regardless of the sequence

Bennie
07-25-2011, 08:37 PM
just my opinion as I play the pick-4 but have yet to take a stab at the pick-5. It's just the way the card is set. Taking Sundays for example 1st-mdspt, 2nd-turf clm, 3rd-mdn, 4th-turf allow, 5th- mdn clm and the pick-4 races were 2 turf stakes races, one claiming race and one maiden race. Just from my view point the later races were much easier to handicap. Besides I stink at poly anyway and it is hard enough to find 4 winners let alone 5. If I find a standout in the first 5 races I will take a shot but until then:confused:

arno
07-25-2011, 11:27 PM
Pick 5 post time is 5 PM Eastern.
People in the east coast are handicapping the feature at Saratoga.

Many players on east coast leave the track after their last race and play rest of Del Mar card. That's usually about race 4 at Del Mar. Plenty of time to handicap and play Del Mar's pick 4

Stillriledup
07-25-2011, 11:47 PM
Pick 5 post time is 5 PM Eastern.
People in the east coast are handicapping the feature at Saratoga.

Many players on east coast leave the track after their last race and play rest of Del Mar card. That's usually about race 4 at Del Mar. Plenty of time to handicap and play Del Mar's pick 4

Does Saratoga have a bet with a 14 pct takeout that's running at 5pm eastern?

carlonr
07-26-2011, 02:29 AM
One thing that is missing in the conversation is that the structure of the bet changed from Hollywood to Del Mar. There is no consolation at Del Mar. Some bettors saw the pick five at Hollywood as as "free ride" type of bet. In other words, if they missed a leg, the consolations would usually come close to paying for the ticket.