PDA

View Full Version : Why I am discarding Brohamer's pace

jasperson
07-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Why I am discarding Brohamer's calculations as impractical for me. Serveral years ago I wrote a program to make Brohamer's calculations using bris data. I did enough races to conclude that without pace track variants and par times that it would not work. Satlurday I thought I would give it another go at 4 tracks. They were suf,prx,del and crc. 3 were cancled and that left me with just crc, but this was enough to convince me that I was right in the first place. Average pace had 2 winners from the 12 races early pace and sustain pace had none. I had tried to select for each horse the race that was most representative of his abilities at that race distance and class. In most cases I used the last race unless it was at the wrong distance or an off track or he had some trouble that would have caused a bad race. I think I did well because the top speed rated horse won 7 of the 12 races. I am not trying to say the speed rating are better than pace ratings just that to make good pace rating you need tv and pars which I didn't have. Since for me that is too much work to do tv and pars for the 4 or 5 tracks that I play and I am unwilling to pay bris $10 a track for that data I am discarding Brohamer. If I had bought the data for my 4 track saturday I would have been out $30 before the day started. Before the Sartin method would work for me I would have to be part of a syndicate like pirco where the work load and expense was shared by the group.

DJofSD
07-24-2011, 10:41 AM
Do you have a model?

Light
07-24-2011, 11:20 AM
If I was asked to pick one track in America where you absolutely needed a track variant and especially track to track adjustments it would be CRC. It's a deceptively slow surface.

Capper Al
07-24-2011, 04:12 PM
Jack,

With a comprehensive method where the impact value of pace was added to that of speed, trainer, etc, I found MPH's pace of value. Currently, I'm using Extreme Pace's methods with success.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82094

jasperson
07-24-2011, 04:14 PM
Do you have a model?
No and that is why I am discarding it. I think the work required to do modeling track variant, par times for the 3 fractions is too much for me.

pandy
07-24-2011, 07:57 PM
Average Pace is not a good rating and the problem with the rating is that it is too heavily tilted towards early speed. If you want a good compounded rating it has to include both early speed and late speed (balanced rating). Average Pace doesn't work, it's just a pace rating and not a very good one.

jasperson
07-25-2011, 08:20 AM
Jack,

With a comprehensive method where the impact value of pace was added to that of speed, trainer, etc, I found MPH's pace of value. Currently, I'm using Extreme Pace's methods with success.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82094
Al, I am still a comprehensive handicapper. I had a very successful day at crc with 5 wins and one of them paying 12.60 I just played brohamer on paper. I just don't want to stagnate by not trying new things and investigating some old methods that I have discarded a long time ago.

pandy
07-25-2011, 09:27 AM
In my opinion, the best Brohamer/Sartin ratings are EP (EARLY PACE) and 3FR (THIRD FRACTION).

Light
07-25-2011, 12:08 PM
In my opinion, the best Brohamer/Sartin ratings are EP (EARLY PACE) and 3FR (THIRD FRACTION).

I've been doing that for years with automatic variant adjustments . It's one of the outputs I get with my homemade computer software. It was only a couple of years ago I noticed that if I played a race where there was a CRC invader,that horse would get an artificially low TPR due to requiring track to track adjustments. Of course I figured it out after those low rated TPR horses would win at good prices.So what I'm saying is you need the DTV's and track to track adjustments to be accurate.

Uncle Salty
07-26-2011, 01:42 AM
I agree that the work required to do all the pace calculations for the Sartin Method is much more work than one person can handle for a day's card. A script or program to do the number crunching would help but that's not an option for a lot of people.

I try to do this occasionally for a couple races when I find the time but most of the time, I find those pace ratings just point me to the chalk anyways, so pretty much gave up too...

I do however keep a track profile as outlined in MPH. I've found this to be useful for eliminating non-contenders based on running styles that have had an advantage on the various courses.

waytogo
07-26-2011, 06:05 AM
Try HSH a program by Dave Schwartz. He has done a ton of work with pace in the last two years and some of it may surprise you.

Even though you only play a few tracks, HSH used HDW data and all tracks are about $130 per month and that includes par files.

openhorse
07-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Before the Sartin method would work for me I would have to be part of a syndicate like pirco where the work load and expense was shared by the group.
Shortly after launching this product (2 weeks ago), 2 original members of PIRCO contacted me regarding collaboration in the true spirit of the business model they had envisioned years ago. They are particularly interested in an open-platform with professional custom reports.

Instead of a syndicate, our approach is to use engineering to enable collaboration. We use shared resources including VBScript code that runs a comprehensive handicapping heuristic. All SQL, Joins, and processing is transparent to the user. Users can design their own reports with their own IV's, and write pace-array calculations (VBScript) grouped by the report of their choice.

You can see the full Sartin Pace Contenders report for Del Mar Wed. here. (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1134876&postcount=47)
(Note: 5 points is best, 1 worst, 0 is unrated)

Uncle Salty
07-27-2011, 11:40 PM
You can see the full Sartin Pace Contenders report for Del Mar Wed. here.
(Note: 5 points is best, 1 worst, 0 is unrated)

Just a quick question...(If I'm reading your track profile correctly) How did you get the dominant running style of E for the sprints at Del Mar? I see all of the winners on the sprint courses as coming from off of the pace so far this year.

openhorse
07-29-2011, 01:50 PM
How did you get the dominant running style of E for the sprints at Del Mar? I see all of the winners on the sprint courses as coming from off of the pace so far this year.

Thanks for your feedback. Hmm, after watching yesterdays race replays, I can see no errors in the track profile.

<pdfs attached>
Track Profiles DMR,HOL for comparison
and Yesterdays's DelMar Sartin FPS Array showing runners' previous fractions from the *most recent Win* (if any).

Whole Meet:
The %En value shown for sprint/route is the Meet Average for that distance.
Using the FPS array, you can see the exact feet-per-second the winning horse is travelling in each segment.

Yesterday
Using yesterday's races, there were 4 E's, 1 P for sprints. All Routes yesterday were P. Watching Cal-racing replays, this seems accurate to me.

Not trying to hijack, I totally agree with the poster that AP alone sucks.
The Pace Array report really shows why you dont want to use Average Pace as the highest-order variable when sorting contenders. -100% ROI ! Sartin Pace is a methodology, not a system. You rarely get to enjoy the luxury of a single magic-number leading you to the answer.

Uncle Salty
07-30-2011, 01:25 AM
Thanks for your feedback. Hmm, after watching yesterdays race replays, I can see no errors in the track profile.

Yes, you are correct, yesterday (7/28/11) Del Mar had a definite early speed bias and this caused some of my picks for the first few races to be a bit off. But those original .pdfs you posted were for the opening week of races and didn't include Thursdays races, correct? For opening week, I saw a majority of the winners having a P or S designation... Maybe a couple of wire to wire winners but not many. Were you including more races than just the first week of the meet?