PDA

View Full Version : Del Mar Diaries: Bob Baffert Unplugged. Baffert talks takeout too!

andymays
07-22-2011, 09:28 AM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/people/del-mar-diaries-bob-baffert-unplugged/#PageComment_96364

Among the subjects he tackles are his views on the recent takeout increase, Del Mar vs. Saratoga, the future of "The Dudes" and clip-on ties.

andymays
07-22-2011, 09:29 AM
There is no question that Bob Baffert is a credit to the game and one of the all time great Trainers. He is a positive voice and advocate for the sport/game of Horse Racing.

He is wrong on the takeout though. Joe Harper is right on the takeout and he said this a couple of days ago.

Count Del Mar Thoroughbred Club chief executive officer Joe Harper as a fan for lower takeouts for bets like two-horse exactas and multi-horse bets like superfectas. “I would like to lower it,” he said. “And I have some partners in this game who want to do the same. We’ve had some discussions. I think it’s high.”

In my opinion at the right takeout rates and the right field sizes Horse Racing is the greatest gambling game of skill ever. If there was no gambling Owners would lose a lot more money because the purses would be small. If there was no gambling Horseplayers would lose a lot less money. Who needs who? (This is CJ's line) :ThmbUp:

There needs to be a compromise so Horse Racing in California can move onward and upward. Lowering takeout to a reasonable level will raise handle. California can't have purses up and handle down for long.

thaskalos
07-22-2011, 10:10 AM
So, let's see...

According to Mr. Baffert, the "gamblers" are important to the game in California, but they can always decide to "switch and go bet on something else"...whereas the trainers are "kinda stuck" in this game, so they should be taken care of a little more...

Poor babies...

THEY should be the ONLY ones entitled to a profit in this game...while the "gamblers" are free to take a hike if the takeouts are not to their liking.

After all, as "dapper Bob" said..."we are really not that much higher than anybody else..."

You are right Andy...he is a positive voice for the sport/game of horse racing...:rolleyes:

jelly
07-22-2011, 11:05 AM
Baffert,on takeout.

"IT was a good move thanks to the TOC"The takeouts really not much higher than anywhere else. :lol:

When Bob didn't like the surface he took his horses elsewhere.

It's easy,take your betting elsewhere.Spread the word,tell your friends.

Charli125
07-22-2011, 11:16 AM
I can't fault Bob for anything he says. He's fighting for his personal interests as expected. It's shortsighted thinking, but it's not out of the norm.

The best analogy I can think of is the auto industry. When the suppliers want to make more money they can do one of two things.
A-Ask for more money from GM which causes the price of the finished car to go up.
B-Cut their costs to increase their margins.

Well, racing keeps saying yes to option A so they never have to deal with option B. Nevermind the fact that the price of the car is now not competitive.

It's an entitlement mindset and as long as the tracks and players support the entitlements, nothing will change.