PDA

View Full Version : Wine Mikey

Edward DeVere
07-21-2011, 04:49 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/jockey-mike-smith-arrested-dui-charges-after-del-mar-opener

sonnyp
07-21-2011, 04:52 PM
the cops in saratoga have a field day too

Stillriledup
07-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Smith has a lot to learn. He's acting like its 'no big deal' when its kind of a big deal.

SoCalCircuit
07-21-2011, 06:35 PM
i was always under the impression smith was the most stand up jockey out there. i guess not. wonder if this will affect anything as far as his mounts go

beefas
07-21-2011, 06:44 PM
come on now, he had a couple glasses of wine..he was probably straight but being that small with no food blew above..no biggie everyone makes mistakes.

toussaud
07-21-2011, 06:49 PM
having a few glasses of wine does not make a man any less of a stand up guy. besides the fact that he probably couldn't stand up of course.

beefas
07-21-2011, 07:06 PM
man, i have 2 glasses of wine every day..i must be a bad person.. :lol:

dansan
07-21-2011, 07:21 PM
how big were the glasses :lol:

cj
07-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Reading the story at DRF makes me think he has a problem and is in denial.

nijinski
07-21-2011, 09:37 PM
Jockeys seem to face this problem alot. Rather than have a glass of wine with their meal they pass the meal and and fill up with the alcohol.

Milkshaker
07-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Originally posted 7/24/09 in the blog of the Del Mar CEO & president...

Direct from the Jockey Room…and you’re gonna love this one!
By Joe Harper

Twas the night before Opening Day, and over at L ‘Auberge in downtown Del Mar, Mike Smith and Alex Solis were enjoying themselves over a few glasses of wine and a little dinner (very little dinner, you know, that weight thing). As they were leaving the restaurant Alex suggested to Mike that he looked pretty tired and he should take a taxi home. Good idea, he thought, and popped into a cab for the short ride up the hill to his Del Mar pad. Mike gave the cabbie his address and promptly fell asleep.

Two hours later he woke up to find himself sitting in the driveway of his house in Sierra Madre, a couple of miles from Santa Anita. “What the hell am I doing here?”, asked Mike. “Well,” said the driver, “this is the address you gave me”. Oops. Mike, always the one to make lemonade out of lemons, told the driver to wait a minute while he watered his plants. And then, for the price of a third place jock’s fee in a minor allowance race, Mike and the cab driver drove all the way back to Del Mar to the proper bed ready to hit the saddle on Opening Day.

jelly
07-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Back in the 90's I use to see a lot of jocks shooting pool and drinking at the bars on Camino del mar rd.Just doing what a lot of people do after a hard days work.

No excuses,a $20 cab ride would have prevented this.Live and learn.

nijinski
07-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Milkshaker , i loved that story , great find !!
Mikey , It's time to get help!!

Grits
07-21-2011, 09:54 PM
Don't insult others by minimizing, Mike, star jockey that you are. I'm sorry, it makes you look, and read, profoundly stupid.

A "few glasses" of wine with little to nothing to eat for one a jock's size, again, profoundly stupid.:rolleyes:

JustRalph
07-21-2011, 10:30 PM
Tell me what he blew and then I will tell you how I feel about it.

Until then we are painting with a broad brush. If he blew a .10 I am calling it a mistake. If he blew a .20 I call it huge mistake.

Either way he screwed up.

tundral
07-21-2011, 10:57 PM
Mike live your life . If anyone else gets dui no big deal part if life. Mike hope you were drinking jinetes.

SoCalCircuit
07-21-2011, 11:12 PM
It just looks bad and he's acting like its nothing. I honestly can't recall seeing an athlete react to a dui like this. Most are extremely apologetic and take full responsibility for their actions. I mean if your 100 pounds and your job is to keep weight down, dont drink? I bet he misses that smokeshow chantel...

toussaud
07-21-2011, 11:31 PM
that's something I never did understand. I do know alcohol suppresses hunger, but it's literary, 100% empty calories. and considering well you are 100 pounds, don't you need all the calories you can get.

Cardus
07-22-2011, 12:25 AM
:rolleyes: that's something I never did understand. I do know alcohol suppresses hunger, but it's literary, 100% empty calories. and considering well you are 100 pounds, don't you need all the calories you can get.

Faulkner would agree with you.

toussaud
07-22-2011, 12:59 AM
:rolleyes:

Faulkner would agree with you.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn53/Diebold89/grammartime.gif

even more appropriate because he owned some pretty good race horses at one point.

BlueShoe
07-22-2011, 01:35 AM
Smith has a lot to learn. He's acting like its 'no big deal' when its kind of a big deal.
In California, a first DUI will cost you, money wise, at least 10 big ones after everything is done, and that could be a low estimate. For Smith that would be pocket change, but he could receive several hours of community service and mandatory alcohol abuse classes. Bigger deal than he first thought.

Shelby
07-22-2011, 10:12 AM
There but for the grace of God go I......

I don't think any less of Mike Smith. He probably should have gotten a taxi, but hindsight is 20/20.

Stillriledup
09-05-2011, 12:17 AM
Its not good when you have more DUI's than wins at a current meet.

iceknight
09-05-2011, 12:41 AM
Now what about the Tyler Baze AA meeting + Failed breathalyzer test...?

http://www.drf.com/news/del-mar-baze-admits-story-was-false

THis is the new version. The earlier news said he got confused and left for AA meeting etc.. very interesting story..

Actually they guy Tyler has been thru a rough year so I am just posting this to highlight the pressures that are on the jockey lifestyle (win and earn but not get to enjoy it much in life because of the eat and throw up pressure) << pardon my Anglais here

And then there's injuries etc. of course, they know it and like it.. but some people cant handle the pressure well..

duncan04
09-05-2011, 12:42 AM
Now what about the Tyler Baze AA meeting + Failed breathalyzer test...?

http://www.drf.com/news/del-mar-baze-admits-story-was-false

THis is the new version. The earlier news said he got confused and left for AA meeting etc.. very hilarious..

See the thread about Tyler Baze. Its discussed there!

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86564

iceknight
09-05-2011, 12:44 AM
See the thread about Tyler Baze. Its discussed there!

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86564

Oh ok.. thanks@ sorry for taking an old topic and going tangent...