PDA

View Full Version : Monmouth Canceled Friday; Saratoga Next?

The Hawk
07-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Monmouth canceled Friday's card and will run the whole card on Monday instead. Lots of pressure on Saratoga, if the Heat Index is over 105, as expected.

rastajenk
07-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Six down, two to go here at scenic Riviera Downs, where the heat index is well over 105. I see Louisiana Downs is on; can't be much better there.

Do the high-priced steeds of Saratoga have a lower threshold of safety? Just askin'.

Edited to add: there aren't many humanoids in the grandstand today. I suppose a large crowd in close quarters could be pretty unpleasant on a number of levels.

sonnyp
07-21-2011, 03:54 PM
i saw on the weather it was hotter in the north than the south along the gulf coast, louisiana etc.

oddsmaven
07-21-2011, 04:05 PM
I just heard Charles Hayward of NYRA on the radio being interviewed...this is 4pm today...he is very confident that they will run tomorrow because the forecast is not at the level that would cause cancellation...not impossible, but he says the weather would have to be drastically worse than projected...they've only cancelled once for heat on a wednesday in 2006.

Grits
07-21-2011, 04:36 PM
Mr.Hayward can be real confident with his decision if he likes, but what I'm getting from the weather channel website for tomorrow is more of the same they're having today, which should be 96 if the forecast remains. The reading, currently says, 97 with a heat index of 108.

Good luck, Mr.Hayward. Yes, it was hotter than forty hells in 2006 the day racing was cancelled, I was there; its going to be the same tomorrow.

Owners and trainers should scratch their horses, nothing should be running in this kind of heat. Not anywhere.

sonnyp
07-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Mr.Hayward can be real confident with his decision if he likes, but what I'm getting from the weather channel website for tomorrow is more of the same they're having today, which should be 96 if the forecast remains. The reading, currently says, 97 with a heat index of 108.

Good luck, Mr.Hayward. Yes, it was hotter than forty hells in 2006 the day racing was cancelled, I was there; its going to be the same tomorrow.

Owners and trainers should scratch their horses, nothing should be running in this kind of heat. Not anywhere.

i wonder how far from his air conditioned office mr. hayward will venture ?

duncan04
07-21-2011, 05:02 PM

They ran at River Downs today with no issues. So far so good at Louisiana Downs and Arlington. So don't see why Saratoga would cancel. At River Downs today it was 97 with a heat index of 112.

skipaway100
07-21-2011, 05:06 PM

They just ran 97/107 at Arlington today. No trainers, jockeys, or horses died or were injured, but there were some confirmed cases of whining about the heat.

oddsmaven
07-21-2011, 05:08 PM

Owners and trainers should scratch their horses, nothing should be running in this kind of heat. Not anywhere.maybe they shouldn't run...i'm merely posting what the nyra head said so people could have that information...he seemed to feel it was going to be a few degrees lower than today...some forecasts apparently don't concur...and he said they would've raced today...the temp isn't his only factor (i guess the heat "index" too and i don't recall if he cited any other measure.)

andtheyreoff
07-21-2011, 05:12 PM
According to weather.com, the "real feel" for noon tomorrow is 93*F. At 3 PM, it will be 100*F.

Considering Arlington, River, and Louisiana are racing today, I don't see them cancelling unless it gets too unbearable, especially since it's opening day.

Robert Fischer
07-21-2011, 05:49 PM
a little handicapping - sorry i missed Arlington's card today ... I wonder if recency trumps layoffs when the heat is unbearable...?

on the same idea - you might like "Grinders" more than Early types or Closers

same with stamina in general where you may treat 1 1/16th route or 7f sprint a little differently than usual?

tough thing to really make any generalizations on.

to further confuse the issue - i LIKE layoffs who were pointed to Toga in general

:bang::D

Grits
07-21-2011, 05:58 PM
It doesn't matter, none of its worth disagreeing, or even discussing at this point. Who cares. Glad I'm not a horse, though, and most of you guys probably are as well. Either way, hope we all cash a lot of tickets tomorrow; opening days are always good for some great scores. Cha ching, cha ching, etc, etc.

therussmeister
07-21-2011, 06:09 PM
There are creatures that thrive in ungodly hot weather; there are creatures that thrive in ungodly cold weather. Just because we humans are uncomfortable, doesn't mean animals are. I personally don't know what temperature becomes too dangerous for horses to race in, put we can't assume because we wouldn't want to run, it is unsafe for horses.

skipaway100
07-21-2011, 06:18 PM
There are creatures that thrive in ungodly hot weather; there are creatures that thrive in ungodly cold weather. Just because we humans are uncomfortable, doesn't mean animals are. I personally don't know what temperature becomes too dangerous for horses to race in, put we can't assume because we wouldn't want to run, it is unsafe for horses.

I've done several studies on weather conditions against racing times (perhaps thinking that I could adjust figures based on these conditions). I couldn't find any noticeable effect on final times from heat+humidity outside of the effect it may have on the surface.

PaceAdvantage
07-21-2011, 06:23 PM
i wonder how far from his air conditioned office mr. hayward will venture ?That was an awesome reply man. Maybe you think Hayward and every other track executive should be running with the horses out of the gates for every race on the card, EVERY SINGLE DAY OF THE MEET...you know...so they too can have "the experience."

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Robert Fischer
07-21-2011, 06:52 PM
I've done several studies on weather conditions against racing times (perhaps thinking that I could adjust figures based on these conditions). I couldn't find any noticeable effect on final times from heat+humidity outside of the effect it may have on the surface.

interesting to know.

it may be logical to look for the heat affecting certain types of horses.
for example: a horse who commonly gets sweated out and nearly overheated, or subgroups such as those shipping from a cold climate and soon racing in oppressive heat...

alhattab
07-21-2011, 09:44 PM
When Belmont cancelled June 9 Temps were expected to be 100 and heat index 102. When Saratoga cancelled in Aug 2006, temps were predicted in the high 90s with heat index of 110. Charlie Hayward said at the time (courtesy of the NY Times linked below) ''The reports we got projected a heat index of 110, and anything over 105 is considered dangerous for racing purposes,'' said Charles Hayward, NYRA's president and chief executive. ''One of the trainers said that he believed that if we ran, there was a 100 percent chance at least one horse would have heat prostration. I asked the vet if he thought that were true and he said, 'Absolutely.' So the decision from there became pretty easy. I understand that there are some trainers that disagree with our decision, but I think most support it.''

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E02E1D7103FF930A3575BC0A9609C8B 63

According to weather.gov the heat index in Saratoga area will likely be below 100 b/c humidity levels will decrease. There is a nice discussion here:

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=ALY&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

thespaah
07-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Monmouth canceled Friday's card and will run the whole card on Monday instead. Lots of pressure on Saratoga, if the Heat Index is over 105, as expected.
Here is the official National Weather Service forecast for Saratoga Springs.
.FRIDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. PATCHY FOG IN THE MORNING. HAZY...HOT. HUMID
WITH HIGHS IN THE LOWER 90S. WEST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH.
.FRIDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. HAZY IN THE EVENING. PATCHY FOG AFTER
MIDNIGHT. COOLER WITH LOWS IN THE LOWER 60S. WEST WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH
IN THE EVENING...BECOMING LIGHT AND VARIABLE.
.SATURDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HOT WITH HIGHS IN THE LOWER 90S. SOUTHWEST
WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE LOWER 60S. NORTHWEST
WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH.
.SUNDAY AND SUNDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 80S.
LOWS IN THE UPPER 50S.

Looks like it will be uncomfortable for the people in attendance.
NYRA has run when it's been hotter. I know. I've been there when it's been in the upper 90's.
NYRA will not cancel opening day at Saratoga unless they absolutely must.

thespaah
07-21-2011, 10:29 PM
A horse's normal body temp is 100.4 degrees. That's according to "Care and Training of the Trotter and Pacer".
These creatures are living radiators. They perspire from every square millimeter of their bodies. They just need TONS of water.

WJ47
07-21-2011, 10:36 PM
I guess they'll probably wait to see what the temperature and heat index actually is tomorrow. I'm sure that they'll make the right decision. You can't really trust a forecast. It may not be as hot as forecasted.

lamboguy
07-22-2011, 12:59 AM
the heat has effected me, i went to a supermarket and walked around for over an hour, and boy did it feel GRRRRRRRRRRRREAT

turninforhome10
07-22-2011, 07:35 AM
Glens Falls, Warren County Airport
Lat: 43.36 Lon: -73.62 Elev: 321
Last Update on Jul 22, 6:53 am EDT

Fair with Haze

80 °F
(27 °C)
Humidity: 85 %
Wind Speed: SE 5 MPH
Barometer: 29.76" (1007.1 mb)
Dewpoint: 75 °F (24 °C)
Heat Index: 85 °F (29 °C)
Visibility: 5.00 mi.

It is interesting to note that the Heat Index just down the road at Ballston Spa is 92. No Heat watches yet as the warning area ends 30 miles south of Saratoga Springs. Today should be hot, but it looks like the oppressive stuff is just a little bit south. Colonial set the record yesterday with the most oppressive heat index at 115. Today most of the East Coast will be savage.
Repole could be set for a big weekend with Vitamin water sales and the Overdriven in the Sanford. Wish all the participants in todays races the best and be smart in the heat.

BPQJaguar
07-22-2011, 07:41 AM
They're running today. Story on DRF.com

Elliott Sidewater
07-22-2011, 08:10 AM
In my early days as an owner I remember winning a race at Keystone in late July in 99 degree heat. Buckets of sweat were running off the horse as we stood for the winners circle picture and I thought to myself "never again". The trainer hosed him off and led him back to the barn, much to my relief. The trainer said: "it's not so much that your horse likes the heat, it's just that some tolerate it better than others". In looking at the heat as a handicapping factor over the years, it appears to me that above 92 degrees (give or take a few degrees for humidity) some horses simply "lose it". If the trainer and owner don't realize this about their horse, then it's our job as handicappers to identify them.

eastie
07-22-2011, 08:27 AM
the heat has effected me, i went to a supermarket and walked around for over an hour, and boy did it feel GRRRRRRRRRRRREAT

they have these things called air conditioners that will make your house as cool as the supermarket.:cool:

who do u like today ? you must have one clever hoss for us today

Steve 'StatMan'
07-22-2011, 08:43 AM
A small fraction of horses appearently cannot sweat, so those particular horses should be scratched - assuming the connections know that about their horse (recent claims, new horse into barn, they may not know that.)

lamboguy
07-22-2011, 08:51 AM
they have these things called air conditioners that will make your house as cool as the supermarket.:cool:

who do u like today ? you must have one clever hoss for us todayi had stuff at monmouth all day today and the card cancelled.

i like one tomorrow at the spa in the 8th race, CRYPTO KITTEN,

i am going to home depot now to pick up a 10k btu aircondion, the one i had was only 5k and didn't do the trick for me yesterday.

i almost forgot, in today's 8th at woodbine, i like #6 GLENCORE

Canarsie
07-22-2011, 09:17 AM
i had stuff at monmouth all day today and the card cancelled.

i am going to home depot now to pick up a 10k btu aircondion, the one i had was only 5k and didn't do the trick for me yesterday.

i almost forgot, in today's 8th at woodbine, i like #6 GLENCORE

I'm 36th in the Survival at the Shore contest with a positive ROI. If you have any nice priced horses please post them I'll gladly take a look. Best of luck wagering.

Robert Goren
07-22-2011, 09:45 AM
"Here in Nebraska, we have 3 words to describe 100 degee tempatures and 115 heat indexes. July and August. You east coast guys are getting soft in your old age." He typed as he sat in front of the AC turned up to high.

lamboguy
07-22-2011, 09:56 AM
I'm 36th in the Survival at the Shore contest with a positive ROI. If you have any nice priced horses please post them I'll gladly take a look. Best of luck wagering.good show! do they have to be at monmouth?

the horse i posted at woodbine should be good.

onefast99
07-22-2011, 10:13 AM
In my early days as an owner I remember winning a race at Keystone in late July in 99 degree heat. Buckets of sweat were running off the horse as we stood for the winners circle picture and I thought to myself "never again". The trainer hosed him off and led him back to the barn, much to my relief. The trainer said: "it's not so much that your horse likes the heat, it's just that some tolerate it better than others". In looking at the heat as a handicapping factor over the years, it appears to me that above 92 degrees (give or take a few degrees for humidity) some horses simply "lose it". If the trainer and owner don't realize this about their horse, then it's our job as handicappers to identify them.
We had one at MP back in 2005 when the many of the jocks didn't want to ride, we ended up with a different rider and won the race, before we went into the winners circle the trainer gave the horse a lot of water and a half bucket for the jock!

Horseplayersbet.com
07-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Penn and Monmouth are out for today. Delaware and Parx have already decided not to run tomorrow.

onefast99
07-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Penn and Monmouth are out for today. Delaware and Parx have already decided not to run tomorrow.
MP will run tomorrow that was the deal the jocks cut with Kulina.

Canarsie
07-22-2011, 11:51 AM
good show! do they have to be at monmouth?

the horse i posted at woodbine should be good.

Monmouth they select the races Monday's will be 4,9,10.

nijinski
07-22-2011, 12:10 PM
These weather conditions not only dehydrate a horse . It can also be tough
on the respiratory system.

therussmeister
07-22-2011, 12:59 PM
I noticed in the forecast, it is dropping down into the lower 60s at night, that helps a lot in dealing with the heat. For one thing that indicates it isn't that humid. There is a strong tendency for the temperature to drop to about the dew point at night. When we had this heat wave earlier this week in Minnesota, the temperature only dropped to about 80 each night.

castaway01
07-22-2011, 02:33 PM
I noticed in the forecast, it is dropping down into the lower 60s at night, that helps a lot in dealing with the heat. For one thing that indicates it isn't that humid. There is a strong tendency for the temperature to drop to about the dew point at night. When we had this heat wave earlier this week in Minnesota, the temperature only dropped to about 80 each night.

That's what it was in Philly last night, 82 for a low. Brutal.

FantasticDan
07-22-2011, 02:51 PM
It was still 90 at 11pm last nite in CNY.. that's like a once every 10 yrs type thing, thankfully.. :blush:

lamboguy
07-22-2011, 05:50 PM
i had stuff at monmouth all day today and the card cancelled.

i almost forgot, in today's 8th at woodbine, i like #6 GLENCOREwith that work over the sythetic it really got this filly set up for a strong performace.
GLENCREE comes from off the pace to get the job done and return $12 for the win ticket

lamboguy
07-22-2011, 08:08 PM
good show! do they have to be at monmouth?

the horse i posted at woodbine should be good.you didn't tell me if they allowed you to play a race at woodbine, because if they did you should have moved up a few places if you used the horse i gave you. i hope it helped