PDA

View Full Version : Contest strategy

soupman2
07-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Wondering what the opinion is for wagering strategy for a handicapping tournament. Do you bet it all on your pick? This is a WPS only tournament. I was planning to go 60% on my A pick (equal WPS split); And 20% on both my B&C choices split between W&S. (ie: $20 WPS #1; $10 W&S #2; $10 W&S #3)

I know how most of you feel about show betting, but I have an almost 60% rate on that bet and it is the only one that I show a positive ROI over the last three years. It works for me.

Bob

davew
07-21-2011, 04:23 PM
it depends on structure, length, bets live or fictional, size of pool, and whether you want to win or just have fun

if past contests show at least doubling and possibly tripling to be in contention in that contest, your method does not have a prayer unless you are picking a very high percentage of mid to high priced horses

soupman2
07-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Hi Dave- So would I be better off to just split W/P on my top pick? Or would I just throw it all on my top pick to win? I usually bet horses 5-1 and over. Mostly 8-9-10/1 (that is why I have positive ROI on show bets). The bet is a mythical $100.

davew
07-21-2011, 08:43 PM
for me it would depend on the cost of the contest and the length

if you had 10 race bets a day at 10% of starting bankroll of day for entire day and contest lasted for 4 days, your best strategy may be 100% to show on your horses

better to gain 30-50% every day with higher percentage/lower risk bets than to double every day until the day you have no winners betting to win on mid/longer shots

but if it is a low cost 1 day tournament, all of my wagers would be in the win pool on 1-3 horses per race

remember it is a tournament and your strategy is probably much different than your typical day at the races - your strategy will depend on structure of the contest and what you fell you need to do to make it worth your effort (if entering the contest is even worth it for you)