PDA

View Full Version : Question For Steward Stauffer

Edward DeVere
07-20-2011, 12:30 AM
In Tuesday's 8th race at Delaware, the unfortunately named Beansntaters took two horses to the parking lot on the first turn AND caused two other horses to check.

Yet the stewards allowed Beansntaters' third-place finish to stand.

Do you agree or disagree with this decision, and why?

Stillriledup
07-20-2011, 01:10 AM
Vic won't call out stewards from a different jurisdiction, he will either say they got it right or he'll say he didnt see the race.

v j stauffer
07-20-2011, 01:17 AM
Vic won't call out stewards from a different jurisdiction, he will either say they got it right or he'll say he didnt see the race.

I haven't seen the race. However there is NO CHANCE I would comment on another boards decision.

Edward DeVere
07-20-2011, 01:38 AM
That's what I figured but I thought I would give it a shot.

So - let's try this.

Halfway through a generic race (halfway through the race - NOT at the start), the eventual 3-1 winner severely impedes a 30-1 shot who eventually loses by 15 lengths. Do you take the winner down or leave him up? What if the impeded horse was 6-5 instead of 30-1? Does that make a difference?

This is GOING to happen during your tenure. You HAVE to know at this point in your career where you stand on this.

So - WHERE do you stand on this?

duncan04
07-20-2011, 01:43 AM

So - let's try this.

Halfway through a generic race (halfway through the race - NOT at the start), the eventual 3-1 winner severely impedes a 30-1 shot who eventually loses by 15 lengths. Do you take the winner down or leave him up? What if the impeded horse was 6-5 instead of 30-1? Does that make a difference?

This is GOING to happen during your tenure. You HAVE to know at this point in your career where you stand on this.

Would imagine a what if would be hard to do. Depends on the circumstances and the position of the runners, etc

v j stauffer
07-20-2011, 02:12 AM

So - let's try this.

Where I stand is that I will apply the rules as set forth in the CHRB rulebook.

The odds of the horses mean nothing. Every race is different. We would have to decide if the horse that was impeded was cost an opportunity at a better placing. The location of the infraction is a major consideration. The earlier in the race the more potential for a horse to recover and claim it's best possible placing. One of the toughest parts of being a steward because there's no way to for sure quantify exactly how much a horse was cost. Have to use best judgement and make the call.

Some_One
07-20-2011, 02:37 AM
Vic to be clear, if you rule that interference did take place, but did not cause the interfered horse to lose anything, you will still give days to the jock if the interference was serious enough?

Stillriledup
07-20-2011, 03:33 AM
Where I stand is that I will apply the rules as set forth in the CHRB rulebook.

The odds of the horses mean nothing. Every race is different. We would have to decide if the horse that was impeded was cost an opportunity at a better placing. The location of the infraction is a major consideration. The earlier in the race the more potential for a horse to recover and claim it's best possible placing. One of the toughest parts of being a steward because there's no way to for sure quantify exactly how much a horse was cost. Have to use best judgement and make the call.

Here's my 2 cents on the SRU stewards handbook. Less is more. Err on the side of leaving the results alone. Give the benefit of the doubt to the horse who actually crossed the line first, force the horse/jock to give you 'no other choice' in order to make a DQ, than you'll be the best you can be.
GL this summer, hopefully you won't need it!

v j stauffer
07-20-2011, 04:06 AM
Vic to be clear, if you rule that interference did take place, but did not cause the interfered horse to lose anything, you will still give days to the jock if the interference was serious enough?

Each case is film reviewed the following morning with all riders involved. Interference does not automatically mean the rider was at fault. Sometimes despite a jockeys best efforts an unmanageable horse could cause interference. After a thorough review of the film and discussion with the riders the stewards will determine if a suspension is warranted.