PDA

View Full Version : short on trainers or what?

skate
07-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Baffert makes a practice out of putting Two or three horses in a short horse field.

Now Doug is giving him some competition, along with other trainers.

i figure the other trainers are tired of letting Baffert use one horse to make a move on the top competition, while the other horse goes on to give him a winner.

i understand they are short out there, but i'd like to see a rule for one horse per race.

it is too easy for a horse to move into a path of another.

Robert Fischer
07-19-2011, 06:22 PM
its not ENOUGH that they card the race so that they have the only live runner, they need a RABBIT?!

WTF :bang::mad:

Hanover1
07-19-2011, 11:27 PM
If horse fits conditions it goes. Have we not talked it to death about the perils of SoCal racing? No shortage of trainers......

skate
07-20-2011, 01:30 PM
If horse fits conditions it goes. Have we not talked it to death about the perils of SoCal racing? No shortage of trainers......

i ment good trainers. hit 20% in a full field. Bafferts might hit 28% with a six horse field along with two entries. Hey...he does get the Most Expensive , he should win his share, but he's a sorry match for a good trainer.

not sure about the WE part, since i refrain from So. Cal. but this is getting to be such a joke, what with the auto Rabbits for interference "just enough" as to not be DQ'd. Happens early in the race,most likely.

skate
07-20-2011, 01:35 PM
its not ENOUGH that they card the race so that they have the only live runner, they need a RABBIT?!

WTF :bang::mad:

xactly...and they go off at 4/5 and come in third.:D

and then we got to deal with cj's customers crying about how they cheated...gees.;)

Hanover1
07-20-2011, 03:18 PM
i ment good trainers. hit 20% in a full field. Bafferts might hit 28% with a six horse field along with two entries. Hey...he does get the Most Expensive , he should win his share, but he's a sorry match for a good trainer.

not sure about the WE part, since i refrain from So. Cal. but this is getting to be such a joke, what with the auto Rabbits for interference "just enough" as to not be DQ'd. Happens early in the race,most likely.

If Baffert is a sorry match for a good trainer, I want to put a few with this good trainer you allude to. Please send along the info.....

Relwob Owner
07-20-2011, 03:21 PM
If Baffert is a sorry match for a good trainer, I want to put a few with this good trainer you allude to. Please send along the info.....

ditto-well put

Robert Fischer
07-20-2011, 08:29 PM
xactly...and they go off at 4/5 and come in third.:D

LOL! what can i say... some people think the IN CROWD there gets races carded with purses for their live entries...

as if they control the condition book process...

i don't believe it lol

skate
07-22-2011, 02:27 PM

not sure when you say Sorry match, but what i said was that he's a sorry match for a good trainer.

His Win % is high only because he does handle the Most Expensive horses, maybe that's why you DO NOT receive his service.
If you have an expensive horse, he'll follow you for business.

When he does not see, as anyone could, that the horse is putting out, he moves the horse out from his barn, instead of giving the horse good training.
He (beffert) is an average trainer at best.

His win % is high because he runs against SMALL Fields and then he enters with Two sometimes Three horses against maybe 6 or 7 other horses, this will increase the winning odds for any trainer.

Asmussen, Steve would be a nice start....what do you think.

And while im at it ...Why did Steve leave the West Coast?

skate
07-22-2011, 02:30 PM
LOL! what can i say... some people think the IN CROWD there gets races carded with purses for their live entries...

as if they control the condition book process...

i don't believe it lol

not a bad thought...thanks

actually just a little nudge...maybe with a dollar or two....?

Hanover1
07-22-2011, 06:51 PM
not sure when you say Sorry match, but what i said was that he's a sorry match for a good trainer.

His Win % is high only because he does handle the Most Expensive horses, maybe that's why you DO NOT receive his service.

When he does not see, as anyone could, that the horse is putting out, he moves the horse out from his barn, instead of giving the horse good training.

His win % is high because he runs against SMALL Fields and then he enters with Two sometimes Three horses against maybe 6 or 7 other horses, this will increase the winning odds for any trainer.

I get daily updates on Bafferts entries everywhere. He has several claimers in his barn as well. Cheap as 15k.....so how cheap are we talking?
I understand from a betting perspective that he does not represent much value in the situations you outline, but neither does anyone else in a short field. Not ready to hang this all on Baffert myself. I hear the faint sound of a recently torn ticket......

Relwob Owner
07-22-2011, 07:04 PM

People with expensive horses have been trusting Baffert for a long time with their horses and he has done really well in a lot of big races . Seems to me that people wouldn't continue to give expensive and talented horses to to someone who is in your words an "average" trainer.

skate
07-23-2011, 12:49 PM
I get daily updates on Bafferts entries everywhere. He has several claimers in his barn as well. Cheap as 15k.....so how cheap are we talking?
I understand from a betting perspective that he does not represent much value in the situations you outline, but neither does anyone else in a short field. Not ready to hang this all on Baffert myself. I hear the faint sound of a recently torn ticket......

Listen...:lol: take a look at your last statement "torn Ticket" could be BUT BUT BUT ...Not from So.Cal.

i sit with many of s.c. players, i make it a point to critcise because im looking at facts. Beffert runs a high amount of races in SMALL (5 or 6 horses) field and along with that he'll run 2 or 3 horses and end up with 28%.

i see good trainers run 25 % in fields that average 10 horses, nuff said.

just look at the facts.

When i say expensive horses...I'M talking about what the owners PAID for the horse, not purse money.

Befferts has good connections with very high end (dollar Wise) customers...game over.

His customers pay around $150,000/$200, 000 for the horse and it runs third on average, against a $35,000 price tag.

skate
07-23-2011, 01:02 PM
People with expensive horses have been trusting Baffert for a long time with their horses and he has done really well in a lot of big races . Seems to me that people wouldn't continue to give expensive and talented horses to to someone who is in your words an "average" trainer.

Relwob;

Look...from all the crap that continues to go down in this (USA), such as Bernie Madoffwith$, do you think that because THESe people have extra BILLIONS hanging around, that makes them interested in a good trainer OR a trainer with a big selling name?
Gees...look into the financial world, you kidden?

Let me add, if you think THESE people are into Horse Racing because they want to make Money (talking about the Owners/HIGH END) you're flat wrong.
They (so called) invest for Fun and Tax exemptions. You do not invest in Horse Racing to make Money.
oh, we can find an exception:bang:

it is a game of fun. Bridge Jumpers with Lots of money to spend would be a good person to follow...?;)

Because some very wealthy , Aribs, or high end inherently people go with a Befferts is Not good enough for the-skate.:cool:

Robert Fischer
07-23-2011, 06:52 PM
I don't like all the crap that goes on

but Baffert can train his butt off.

He may not be THE best, but he's good in his role.

To make a baseball analogy he's like the guy who makes the all-star team, he's popular with the fans... maybe a commercial.. has good stats... and maybe the purists will nitpick.. = "he's surrounded by that great lineup... he plays in the hitters park!!" etc...

not as good as maybe his stats appear at glance or his rep by some but he's good.

Relwob Owner
07-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Relwob;

Look...from all the crap that continues to go down in this (USA), such as Bernie Madoffwith$, do you think that because THESe people have extra BILLIONS hanging around, that makes them interested in a good trainer OR a trainer with a big selling name?
Gees...look into the financial world, you kidden?

Let me add, if you think THESE people are into Horse Racing because they want to make Money (talking about the Owners/HIGH END) you're flat wrong.
They (so called) invest for Fun and Tax exemptions. You do not invest in Horse Racing to make Money.
oh, we can find an exception:bang:

it is a game of fun. Bridge Jumpers with Lots of money to spend would be a good person to follow...?;)

Because some very wealthy , Aribs, or high end inherently people go with a Befferts is Not good enough for the-skate.:cool:

Well, this whole thread was pretty clearly a way for you to get out your Baffert thoughts and you did.

Check his stats and his career accomplishments. They speak for themselves.

Grits
07-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Terming Bob Baffert an average trainer could be likened to referring to Secretariat as "just another horse."

Idrivetrotters
07-23-2011, 07:15 PM
SKATE you are on the money, Baffert is more of a name/reputation than solid trainer. Joke always has been Baffert don't get to the track until noon, he's a cell phone trainer. Baffert's is a good trainer in the fact that his barn is always full and his grooms/hot walkers/etc all have full stalls, THAT is why he is a good trainer. His % are good until you break down that if he has 30 to 50% of the entries in a race, than yeah, he is going to be in the money. He always has a rabbit, and you gotta figure out which one that is. Owners don't get mad because he uses the horse as a rabbit one race, he goes off and wins at a knot the next. In many ways you can say Baffert is a gambling barn.

Now, is he a great trainer? Nope, but there are very few great trainers any more. He makes his owners money but not by purse money alone.

skate
07-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Terming Bob Baffert an average trainer could be likened to referring to Secretariat as "just another horse."

Gritsy

get back in the game Paaalease and thanks. :)

skate
07-26-2011, 01:48 PM
SKATE

He always has a rabbit, and you gotta figure out which one that is. Owners don't get mad because he uses the horse as a rabbit one race, he goes off and wins at a knot the next. In many ways you can say Baffert is a gambling barn.

Now, is he a great trainer? Nope, but there are very few great trainers any more. He makes his owners money but not by purse money alone.

good points here.

I can recall so many of his races, you can see "IT" coming, not only with a rabbit, but he'll have one of his horses step in front of another horse, not a foul, but enough to slow the competition a step or two.

skate
07-26-2011, 02:00 PM
My dislike for Befferts is mainly because of his methods.

They take more from the game, they stretch the rules.

S. Cal Tracks do the very same when they keep the track Hard, to let faster times be posted and injure the horse..

It is nice when they go to (example) Derby, post low odds and come in last.

;)