PDA

View Full Version : Trivia question about old-time comedy entertainers

trying2win
11-14-2003, 01:54 AM
--That was a lot of fun trying to guess the answer to Freeneasy's late-at-night/early morning trivia question, about The Andy Griffith Show.

--Okay, for some of the old-timers on the board, who've watched a lot of those old comedy shows on TV over the years, see if you can guess the answers to this trivia question about old-time comedy entertainers.

QUESTION:-- Can you name six well-known comedy entertainers from the past or present, who lived or have lived, to the age of 90 or more?

Side note--When you live to be 90 years old or more, a good sense of humor probably helps out your health a lot along the way.

Trying2win

trying2win
11-14-2003, 02:19 PM
--I saw the names of Freeneasy and Dan Montilion viewing this thread quite a few hours ago, but no answer left. You two are slipping up! Fooled you both, I guess.

--I suspect some PA members know at the minimum, two answers...three at the most....Prove me wrong....Go ahead and list the ones you know.

--I predict if Tom the Canandaigua Kid, and comedian extraordinaire reads this post, that he would be able to list the most, if not all the answers.

Thanks,

Trying2win

--

kitts
11-14-2003, 02:50 PM
I can think of three: Bob Hope, George Burns and Milton Berle

Dan Montilion
11-14-2003, 02:57 PM
Trying2win

You have set the hook and I have taken the bait...

Bob Hope
George Burns
Milton Berle
Imogene Coca
Henny Youngman (bet a great horse, took 7 others to beat him)

Possible...

Grucho Marx
Charlie Chaplin

Oh man, Sarah the Mayberry operator and now 90 year old comics. Its official I will never have a sex life again.

Dan Montilion

trying2win
11-14-2003, 02:59 PM
Good show Kitts,

--That's three of them:

1. Bob Hope lived to the age of 100.

2. George Burns also lived to the age of 100.

3. Milton Berle lived to the age of 93.

Trying2win

trying2win
11-14-2003, 03:11 PM
--Imogene Coca lived to the age of 92.

--Henny Youngman lived to the age of 91.

As for Groucho Marx and Charlie Chaplin...close but no cigar (well in Groucho's case, maybe that phrase is no quite the one to use).

--Groucho Marx lived to be 86.

--Charlie Chaplin lived to be 88.

--Even if some well-known comedian entertainers didn't make it to 90 years of age and beyond, the sense of humor, and laughter etc. must have got those endorphins going pretty good for the entertainers and their audience members as well! Like I've mentioned before, I believe laughter's good for your health...appears it's good for increasing your longevity too.

--Trying2win

--Only one more answer to go....

freeneasy
11-14-2003, 08:44 PM
jimmey durante

trying2win
11-14-2003, 09:40 PM
Freeneasy,

No. It's not Jimmy Durante. He died at the age of 86.

--Good guess though.

Trying2win

trying2win
11-14-2003, 10:38 PM
Time to reveal the last two of the possible answers:

--The answers I was looking for on this thread, were for those entertainers who were in the comedy business more or less, full-time. Five possible answers have been listed so far. The final two are:

--Victor Borge who lived to be 91. Remember his antics while playing the piano?

--The other answer I was looking for was Art Linkletter. He's still alive and going strong at the age of 91. Remember Art when he was the host of some of those old TV shows, like "People Are Funny"?

Okay, it's time to go and get some more winners at the track.

Thanks,

Trying2win

kenwoodallpromos
11-15-2003, 12:25 AM
How about buddy Ebsen?

trying2win
11-15-2003, 01:36 AM
Ken,

--In the beginning, I meant the trivia question to be about entertainers who were in the comedy business sort of full time.

--But good question nonetheless. Buddy Ebsen died recently at 95. I first remember seeing him in those old Davy Crockett movies back in the mid 1950's. Then of course he went on to do the comedy bit on TV as Jed Clampett in the "Beverly Hillbillies". After that series, back to another charcter type...this time as the private detective Barnaby Jones in the TV series of the same name.

--Another example of a person who did comedy in a TV series and portrayed other characters in his acting career, is Eddie Albert. You might remember Eddie in the old TV series "Green Acres". Eddie's still alive at the age of 95.

Thanks,

Trying2win

kenwoodallpromos
11-16-2003, 01:04 AM
You really know your stuff! I guess there are others who did comedy as well as drama!

JustRalph
11-16-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by trying2win
But good question nonetheless. Buddy Ebsen died recently at 95. I first remember seeing him in those old Davy Crockett movies back in the mid 1950's. Then of course he went on to do the comedy bit on TV as Jed Clampett in the "Beverly Hillbillies". After that series, back to another charcter type...this time as the private detective Barnaby Jones in the TV series of the same name.

Buddy Ebsen started out as a Dancer. He was the first choice to play the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz. In the screen test they found out he was allergic to the aluminium paint the character had to wear. I actually saw some old footage of him dancing in the outfit. He became very ill and had to turn down the part.

Tom
11-16-2003, 10:57 AM
I saw that footage too, Ralph-great stuff. Did you catch the out-take of the group doing the jitterbug in the haunted forrest? Hilarious stuff. They should put that back in.
BTW,,,,the film is on this weekend maybe? Or next?