PDA

View Full Version : Do you think "Prime Power" is overbet ?

porchy44
07-17-2011, 06:21 PM
Do you think Bris "Prime Power" is overbet ? I Do.

My records indicate when I have reduced a field to two contenders,
it is better for my ROI to bet the lower "prime power"number.

Robert Goren
07-17-2011, 07:34 PM
Prime power is not overbet, It picks horses who are overbet. Very few people even look at it even if they do have access to it.

therussmeister
07-17-2011, 09:24 PM
Well, if a flat bet on the prime power picks does not turn a profit, it is over bet, even if almost nobody bets it.

Robert Fischer
07-17-2011, 09:50 PM
interesting thread development

I'm leaning toward Robert Goren's point here, but I see both arguments...

I really don't know how much Prime Power is considered among players.

there is also the caveat involving Porchy's 2 contender system... :ThmbUp:

Robert Goren
07-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Well, if a flat bet on the prime power picks does not turn a profit, it is over bet, even if almost nobody bets it. As they say out here "same difference"

traveler
07-17-2011, 11:10 PM
Well, if a flat bet on the prime power picks does not turn a profit, it is over bet, even if almost nobody bets it.
Sorry, but if as an example it returns $1.90 for every $2.00 bet, it is outperforming the "average" winning horse by overcoming the take while still losing. Just because a flat bet on a given figure loses doesn't mean it's overbet.

benzer
07-17-2011, 11:41 PM
Sorry, but if as an example it returns $1.90 for every $2.00 bet, it is outperforming the "average" winning horse by overcoming the take while still losing. Just because a flat bet on a given figure loses doesn't mean it's overbet.
Seems to me you are accepting a overall losing wagering scenario and justifying it because it loses less than another wagering scenario. If a person focuses on a given figure and it loses money then it is either overbet or its effectiveness is overstated.

TrifectaMike
07-17-2011, 11:56 PM

This is not true.

Mike (Dr Beav)

salty
07-18-2011, 12:38 AM
If a horse has a prime power 8 points higher than the rest of the field and goes.off higher than 5/2. I usually will bet it. It's very rare to find but its a good flat bet.

Hoofless_Wonder
07-18-2011, 09:06 PM
... Very few people even look at it even if they do have access to it.

While that may be true for handicappers who access the BRIS data files for s/w or spreadsheet use, I would think the "pencil and paper" crowd that uses the BRIS PPs in PDF format use the Prime Power numbers. I know I do. I don't have the data to back it up, but I often see a horse in the top half of the Prime Power rankings in a field win at a nice price. I take a second or third look at a horse that might be ranked with the 3rd or 4th highest prime number that's longer odds, just as I re-evaluate a horse I like that's 11th out of 12 as a sanity check. I handicap via PDFs for about 2/3 of the tracks I bet (mostly for angles), and use s/w and the data files for about the other 1/3, where I also use the PDFs as reference.

Simply betting the top Prime Power number is probably not the road to riches, but for some races they can be useful...

Capper Al
07-19-2011, 09:33 PM
My short sample found BRIS' Prime to be a very good indicator. If it isn't in my top three picks,I'll double check my figures.

Robert Goren
07-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Almost nobody who goes to the track or simulcast center out here has access to it. The people buy either the form or the simulcast program. I know the could print out Bris PPs, but I have never seen it. It is something online bettors might use, but most of them have their own numbers. I don't think too many decisions are based on it. That is all I am saying.

Bettowin
07-20-2011, 12:43 AM
Depends on where, when and why just like most handicapping factors? I have used brisnet and the prime powers to double check but they fall short on class moves IMO.

llegend39
07-24-2011, 07:31 AM
Do you think Bris "Prime Power" is overbet ? I Do.

My records indicate when I have reduced a field to two contenders,
it is better for my ROI to bet the lower "prime power"number.

At Saratoga-not yet Opening day the first 3 races were won by the top bris power rating resulting in a $1 pick-3 that paid $204

EJXD2
07-26-2011, 11:31 AM
From the archives, the April 1999 edition of the ALL-Ways newsletter (http://bit.ly/q20rIA%20)addressed Prime Power (scroll down to "the comprehensive ratings" header or find "prime power").

As a BRIS user and pick N player, I find myself far more interested in the relative rankings of contenders by Prime Power than their cardinal ranking. That is, in ranking contenders in the Crist-style ABC format, the Prime Power does provide a decent framework of the tiers, though of course it's up to me as handicapper to make the fine line decisions about how variables affecting this race affect a horse's chances.

Anecdotally (i.e., I haven't tracked it but have a feel for it), I find Prime Power most hits the mark for me when there are 2-3 clear standounts but no clear favorite. I'd much rather stand alone three deep (and no Bs) with a trio of 120 prime power horses when the rest of the field is < 105 then take a stand with a 115 Prime Power horse if others are 107-112.

That's not to say that clear standounts can't be profitable, and sometimes it's because you have an angle to bet against them. I'm not sure whether Prime Power as a factor is overbet as the OP asserts, but I am certain that seeing a Prime Power standout is a good indication that the horse will stand out on the tote board as well. If your handicapping points to another horse then Prime Power has helped you target a race to bet, even if it didn't land on the same horse as you did.

Capper Al
07-26-2011, 05:28 PM
From the archives, the April 1999 edition of the ALL-Ways newsletter (http://bit.ly/q20rIA%20)addressed Prime Power (scroll down to "the comprehensive ratings" header or find "prime power").

As a BRIS user and pick N player, I find myself far more interested in the relative rankings of contenders by Prime Power than their cardinal ranking. That is, in ranking contenders in the Crist-style ABC format, the Prime Power does provide a decent framework of the tiers, though of course it's up to me as handicapper to make the fine line decisions about how variables affecting this race affect a horse's chances.

Anecdotally (i.e., I haven't tracked it but have a feel for it), I find Prime Power most hits the mark for me when there are 2-3 clear standounts but no clear favorite. I'd much rather stand alone three deep (and no Bs) with a trio of 120 prime power horses when the rest of the field is < 105 then take a stand with a 115 Prime Power horse if others are 107-112.

That's not to say that clear standounts can't be profitable, and sometimes it's because you have an angle to bet against them. I'm not sure whether Prime Power as a factor is overbet as the OP asserts, but I am certain that seeing a Prime Power standout is a good indication that the horse will stand out on the tote board as well. If your handicapping points to another horse then Prime Power has helped you target a race to bet, even if it didn't land on the same horse as you did.

Some interesting stuff at the link.

JustRalph
07-26-2011, 06:57 PM
In the Stephen Foster, the 75 dollar winner was PPower #2 if my memory serves me. I distinctly remember thinking, "you don't see ppower #2 at 25-1 very often''

I have a jcapper udm that flags prime power overlays based on the morning line

It doesn't show up very often........

llegend39
08-02-2011, 08:53 AM
Still doing well at SAR
Yesterday 2 top power winners,4- 2nd winners and 1- 3rd winner
top-$5.30 and $13
2nd power-$11.60,$15.80,$10.00 and $9.70
3rd power-$20.80

7/9 races won by the Top 3 Bris Power