PDA

View Full Version : Buck (Movie)

chickenhead
07-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Saw this last night and thought I'd recommend it here, I think a lot of you would like it. You might have to work a bit to find it since its a documentary and has limited distribution.

IShjmWYuHZ0

Tom
07-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Is that Harry Potter in a few years?

PaceAdvantage
07-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Thanks for that chickenhead...will definitely check that out...

Grits
07-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Redford produced, directed, and played the part of Tom Booker in the Horse Whisperer. This was the first time I heard, or read, of Buck Brannaman. He consulted on the film, and too, he was the individual that Nicholas Evans' book of the same title was based on. Good book; good movie.

Thanks for sharing the trailer, Chickie. Though with limited release one may have to wait for this on DVD.;)

PaceAdvantage
07-17-2011, 04:35 PM
Is that Harry Potter in a few years?Is there no "off" on the Tom comedy switch? :lol:

The more I look at Redford's pic up there, the more I laugh...good one Tom!

highnote
07-17-2011, 08:42 PM
Watching the trailer reminded me of a dressage video I helped to make several years ago for Bettina Drummond.

Buck has the horse moving like it's doing dressage. He seems to have some similar approaches to Drummond.

http://www.eclectic-horseman.com/content/view/184/96/

She was amazing to watch. She knew what the horse was going to do before the horse did it. She anticipated its every move. She is by far the most experienced horseperson I have ever seen.

Rookies
07-17-2011, 08:56 PM
That was pretty good, Tommy! :ThmbUp:

Those psychiatrists can never let you go: a completely, bitter curmudgeon 75% of the time and a pretty, fair comic the other quarter...:lol:

chickenhead
07-17-2011, 09:14 PM
yeah Tom I laughed pretty good at that.

This movie surprised and delighted me because like any good documentary it focuses in on a particular, peculiar life or circumstance and digs up some universality that can mean something to anyone.

This story of Buck and his approach to horses (and people who need help with them) really boils down to relationships, particularly relationships where one is entrusted with the care and teaching of another. Buck has obviously spent a lot of time thinking about it and trying to perfect his understanding of that relationship.

Of real interest to me in light of that was his relationship with his daughter. He has a quote in the movie, something to the effect of "I got into this originally cause I wanted to be a better cowboy, after awhile I learned it isn't even about that."

Anyway, this is the kind of movie and hes the kind of guy that might stick with you a little bit. First movie I've been to in awhile with that hearty an applause at the end...which was interesting because it didn't end on an up, heroic note. I think the audience was genuinely showing an appreciation for getting to spend some time getting to know this guy.

Dave Schwartz
07-17-2011, 11:01 PM
I do not know if it was the same guy but about 18 years ago I saw a guy at the Nv State Fair tame a 5yr old wild horse that had never been touched by human hands. It was an amazing sight.

He started at 9am and periodically throughout the day I would return to the small corral where he was working with the animal. I'd watch for 30-40 minutes before moving on. By the end of the day he had the horse saddled and was riding her.

It was truly amazing to watch.

Dave

jognlope
07-17-2011, 11:27 PM
It's a real confusing thing, so you let the horse decide or you decide for him? Wait and let him decide or make him go now. Is he being stubborn or is he scarred? Stubborn requires more "outlasting him" and scarred requires baby steps. Confusing!! One day he was balking as usual about 100 yards out into the field. I decided to give up and let him wheel around and trot back to the barn. I was tired and disgusted with "barn sour," especially since he was barn sour one day and another day wanted to go all over the place.

But this time instead of fighting with him, I just let him go back and he stopped at the gait. Instead of getting off, feeling dejected and like a failure as I had many times before with the never ending barn sour problem, I sat on him and didn't move a muscle, no talking, nothing. We he kept standing there, looked back at my leg a couple times, like how come you're not dismounting?

After about 3 or 4 minutes I heard him give out a sigh. I did nothing, didn't touch the reins or use leg. He turned around 180 degrees and with his head down, headed out toward the field and took me all over it.

Then another time he, like I said, was in another barn sour mood. This time he was yanking his head up, eyes bulging and was snorting and pawing. Real alpha horse aggression. I was so mad. And scared, with his aggressive stance. But I knew tight circles would disengage him, so I made him go in about 8 or 9 of them. A totally different approach, but it worked as well.

So make him or let him? Confusing, confusing. Maybe it's a combination both.

Grits
07-18-2011, 03:08 PM
And another good one . . . . New York's, (now consultant, former head of gate crew) Bob Duncan. Much has been written about Mr.Duncan as well. Most recently his work with Quality Road. He moves and relates in the same manner as Brannaman. What a gift these two gentlemen have.

DJofSD
07-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks, chicky. 1 place in all of San Diego showing this movie.

Yep, horses can be a perfect mirror of a human.

I can honestly say, other than raising my son, training horses is a very fulfilling experience. When you have bred, foaled, trained and then sold a horse to then see it do well for the new owner, the pride and satisfaction is immense.

FantasticDan
10-21-2011, 01:24 PM
BUMP

Now available on DVD and Netflix streaming :ThmbUp:

DJofSD
10-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Thanks. I did not catch it when in the theaters.

Is it DVD worthy, say, at the $19.95 price point?

PaceAdvantage
10-21-2011, 07:48 PM
I saw it recently and really enjoyed it...

bigmack
10-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Just finished watching. Nice cawl, Chicky :ThmbUp:

Redford: When they walked in the office in Santa Monica they had on these cowboy outfits with hats, et al. They looked like they had costumes on.

What did you expect, Bobby, Armani :confused:

Best line from the women who helped raise him: Blessed are the flexible for they shall not get bent out of shape.

Grits
10-23-2011, 09:42 PM
BUMP

Now available on DVD and Netflix streaming :ThmbUp:

Thank you for the note that the film is now on DVD.