PDA

View Full Version : Is there a centenarian among us?

thaskalos
07-16-2011, 08:13 PM
I just noticed that today is SmartyMarty's birthday...and that he is listed as 101 years old!

In the event that this is a factual occurence...I would like to be the first one here to wish him a "Happy Birthday"!

Talk about beating the odds...:ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
07-16-2011, 11:59 PM
FYI, that user hasn't been seen here since May 30, 2009, according to my records.

thaskalos
07-17-2011, 12:18 AM
FYI, that user hasn't been seen here since May 30, 2009, according to my records.
Wow...I should have checked that before I posted.

Grits
07-17-2011, 12:33 AM
SmartyMarty passed away of throat cancer a while back. It was his second battle with the disease. There are a couple, or more, of us here at PA that knew Marty. He was one of the most fun, one of the wisest, most sincere people I've ever known, with a sense of humor that was so quick, so sharp. Too, he was drop dead blue eyed handsome, and dressed like he was stepping off the cover of GQ.

No, he was not 99, he wouldn't be 101 were he still with us today. :lol: But he loved keeping things light, BS-ing and sharing fun times with all those who knew him.

A native New Yorker, he lived in Brooklyn and was a staple of all New York Racing for all of his 70 or so years.

I'm surprised, still today, that Marty wasn't laid to rest somewhere on Big A property. The man LOVED the place, and all its characters.

Rest in peace, dear Kel, you are still so very missed. We had some great afternoons, whether at the rail or sitting in the grandstand.

Happy birthday, in heaven.