PDA

View Full Version : 25.0 last 1/4

mirror Image
07-16-2011, 07:37 PM
In a qua. this morning at big M 2 YO Mel Mara came home in 25 flat
after walking the first 3/4's in 1:30.1. Fractions were 29.3 1:01 1:30.1 1:55.1.:eek:

Hanover1
07-17-2011, 11:17 PM
I am starting to see alot of this. Seems in line with how they are brought along vs 3 trips, 2x a week, years ago. Not requiring as much work to hit to speeds vs years ago. The Morgan traits that make up the Standarbred breed are all but gone as a result of 2x3 breedings and the like. Everything but save the disposition of most of them, is gone, and has been replaced with a slicker gaited, more race efficient creature and different methods are employed that seem to take well with these. Was unheard of to post those type fractions with green colts even 25 years ago. A brush of .27 off 3/4 like that was considered freakish.

Ray2000
07-18-2011, 07:41 AM
...A brush of .27 off 3/4 like that was considered freakish.

and very risky...

If you're going to train that way I would think you'd x-ray the knees first to be sure the bones are closed.

just MHO

mirror Image
07-20-2011, 02:51 PM
He is listed to race in the 3rd race on Saturday at big M :ThmbUp:

pandy
07-22-2011, 11:24 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing this colt for the first time Saturday night, third race. A 1:53.1 non-betting prep followed by the :25 final quarter and a :54.1 last half in his last prep. In the first three races you have three potential locks. But it's the Big M so who knows.

arno
07-23-2011, 01:33 AM
A few months before the Meadowlands opened my frieinds and I figured all the races would go in fractions similar to 31.0 102.0 132.0 159.0

Never did we think the last quarter would not be the fastest.

We had no experience with mile ovals except how they raced at the Red Mile, DuQuoin, Syracuse and Sacremento.

Were we wrong!

Campbell and O'Donnell revolutinized mile racing

mirror Image
07-23-2011, 05:49 AM
I don't know what the record low double is at big M but tonight it might be broken......or if both of them go down they might have a record high D.D. :D

pandy
07-23-2011, 06:52 AM
As I mentioned in my free picks at www.ustrotting.com, Big Jim is almost certain to bounce tonight. He bounced badly at Mohawk (1:50.4) and lost at 1-5 the last time he ran a huge (1:49.1) race and now he comes off a narrow miss in a career best effort 1:48.2. But, even if he bounces he should still be able to beat this field. But I'm not betting him or the double, just watching.

Hanover1
07-23-2011, 10:56 AM
As I mentioned in my free picks at www.ustrotting.com, Big Jim is almost certain to bounce tonight. He bounced badly at Mohawk (1:50.4) and lost at 1-5 the last time he ran a huge (1:49.1) race and now he comes off a narrow miss in a career best effort 1:48.2. But, even if he bounces he should still be able to beat this field. But I'm not betting him or the double, just watching.
Tightener.....

pandy
07-23-2011, 11:34 PM
This colt was amazing tonight. He looks like a 4 year old, big, mature, handy, and fast.

mirror Image
07-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Next start is Saturday 7/30 at the big M 10th race post 9.
We should see what is in the tank in this race :ThmbUp: .

LottaKash
07-31-2011, 10:49 AM
Next start is Saturday 7/30 at the big M 10th race post 9.
We should see what is in the tank in this race :ThmbUp: .

Well, we found out last nite that, Mel Mara is "human" after all.....He sat in the 4-hole most way around, and was definitely in position at the top of the lane, yet Yannick Gingras was still rousing him pretty good most of the way to the wire, and was a bit short in this one, finishing 2d at 125, but he was there at the line..... no whip tho....

With 2yo's ya never know, at least often enough, I don't.....

I still believe he is destined to be one of the better budding colts, this and next season.....In fact, this was only an overnite event, so perhaps this is all in keeping for "the peak" for his soon to be Woodrow Wilson pace....We will see...

best,

mirror Image
07-31-2011, 12:15 PM
:D I was going to sat "he is only human". No excuse last night.

LottaKash
07-31-2011, 01:05 PM
:D I was going to sat "he is only human". No excuse last night.

Maybe Mirror, maybe....With 2yo's, especially when the big money isn't on the line, most smart trainers don't push too hard with them....He should have a very productive career ahead of him, so I don't think trainers should be too antzy early on....Bones, and tissue, you know...

He did race well, and his mile certainly didn't knock him off of his game any...He is still gamer I think....Just looked to be a shade lazy in response, tho...

Still, as Hanover1 said, in an earlier post....See you Oct/Nov....

That is why this game is so much fun to play....Ya gotta bet on em to have the fun...But, with the bettors that backed Mel Mara @125....no fun for them last nite,,heehee..

best,