PDA

View Full Version : Allowance or Claimer?

Sparky13
07-16-2011, 07:36 PM
I have two software programs that treat Optional Claiming races differently. One puts them under the Allowance category and the other under the Claiming category. What is everyones call on these type of races? Thanks.

sonnyp
07-16-2011, 07:47 PM
I have two software programs that treat Optional Claiming races differently. One puts them under the Allowance category and the other under the Claiming category. What is everyones call on these type of races? Thanks.

i'd have to call it an allowance race since the "conditions" dictate the horses that will be eligible. one of the "conditions" is putting a claiming price on your horse and taking advantage of the "option" offered.

by it's nature, all of the entrants may not have a claiming price, although that could occur, so i don't feel it could be classified as a claiming event.

CBedo
07-16-2011, 08:15 PM
Why does it have to be either? Why try to force it? Why can't it be classified as Optional Claiming?

Tom
07-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Depends on the make up of the race.
That is why they are hard to figure.

Robert Goren
07-16-2011, 08:29 PM
There are exceptions, but as a general a horse entered to claimed has very little chance. So I treat as an alw race. A horse exiting one these race where he was eligible to be claimed into a straight claimer is dropping in class.

coolpohle
07-16-2011, 10:06 PM
I treat them as an allowance race.

bob60566
07-16-2011, 10:12 PM
What is the most type of races are entered at North American tracks.
Mac:)

OTM Al
07-16-2011, 10:26 PM
There are exceptions, but as a general a horse entered to claimed has very little chance. So I treat as an alw race. A horse exiting one these race where he was eligible to be claimed into a straight claimer is dropping in class.

Are you kidding? Some entered to be claimed have won the condition multiple times. Much rather have them than one that's never won at the level. The nw2x NY bred races are great for this and too many think like you allowing the claimers to run at good prices

Tom
07-16-2011, 11:22 PM
Since 12/2/10, all tracks, there have been 1192 AOC races - with 392 winners being in for a tag. 35%. Not just SB - all classes.

Uncle Salty
07-17-2011, 06:13 AM

These races initially confused the hell out of me and I approached them the same way...that any claimer running in allowance company was for the most part a throwout. I got burned fairly often.

Now I like to see how the claiming price and allowance conditions are matched up. In OC $40K/N1X or OC $62.5/N1X, the claimer in good shape is a contender in this matchup (especially if he's way past the N1X conditions), but in a $25/N1X, I think the allowance runner might have an advantage.

These are tricky races though. And there are always exceptions...

Tom
07-17-2011, 09:36 AM
My first picks in these is the horse who is a genuine allowance horse, similar to the patterns Quinn outlined in his book. Next is a horse who has already won at this condition, either to be claimed or not. Third is a consistent claimer with one the top three figs.