PDA

View Full Version : WS of poker

Robert Goren
07-16-2011, 09:46 AM
Is anyone else watching this? I like the new format. And yes I know poker is not a sport, but I could not figure out where else to put this thread.

Rookies
07-16-2011, 11:32 AM
Is anyone else watching this? I like the new format. And yes I know poker is not a sport, but I could not figure out where else to put this thread.

THIS is one of the few things from America that we don't get live/semi-live. Ticks me off, as I find it very interesting, having played for about 45 years.

PaceAdvantage
07-16-2011, 11:40 PM
I watch the WSOP every year. But I haven't watched much this year...

Live coverage, with no hole cards being displayed...the hole cam is what MADE televised poker explode in popularity, is it not?

What are they thinking? I haven't kept up on this story at all. Are they also going to show the regular "produced" episodes in August as usual, complete with the hole cam? Or is this it? Just live coverage with no hole cam.

Striker
07-17-2011, 12:39 AM

Live coverage, with no hole cards being displayed...the hole cam is what MADE televised poker explode in popularity, is it not?

What are they thinking? I haven't kept up on this story at all. Are they also going to show the regular "produced" episodes in August as usual, complete with the hole cam? Or is this it? Just live coverage with no hole cam.
Regular tuesday telecasts start July 26. Hole cards are only shown if a flop is seen but some of the hands that I have seen, they didn't show the hole cards until after the hand. They are just doing this from July 14-19, Day 3-8 and are on a 30 minute delay from being truly live.

PaceAdvantage
07-17-2011, 12:41 AM
Thanks...I've been kind of out of the loop this year...

Jay Trotter
07-17-2011, 12:56 AM
Thanks...I've been kind of out of the loop this year...
What a relief! I thought it was just me thinking you were a bit loopy!!! :lol:

PaceAdvantage
07-17-2011, 01:00 AM
After almost twelve years of doing this, you're lucky they haven't put me away yet... :p :lol: :D

LottaKash
07-17-2011, 01:16 AM

Haha...I fell asleep with the new format....No hole cards shown, for me, is like watching paint dry....Or, like playing poker for "fun"....

I sure do hope they start showing the hole cards again....I love the Main-Event....

best,

pktruckdriver
07-17-2011, 03:30 AM
Haha...I fell asleep with the new format....No hole cards shown, for me, is like watching paint dry....Or, like playing poker for "fun"....

I sure do hope they start showing the hole cards again....I love the Main-Event....

best,

Agreed Sir

Without hole card coverage the game will be not worth watching, as seeing the bluffs and watching the facial expressions and little things the announcers points out sometimes is hilarious and great TV for all insomniacs, yes indeed.

How ya been Lotta, hope all is well my friend

patrick

redshift1
07-17-2011, 05:22 AM
What moron came up with the new format and the non-stop babbling by the announcers... they just dropped 3/4's of the drama and probably half the viewers.

Its like watching horse racing without names or numbers

Canarsie
07-17-2011, 07:16 AM
What else can they do if it's live? I haven't watched yet but in the era of cell phones this would be akin to stealing signs in baseball. What would stop a player from having a friend let him know what an opponents approximate hand is?

I always DVR it and watch it's great entertainment. Just don't know what they could do live except clear out the gallery to make sure no hanky panky goes on.

JBmadera
07-17-2011, 07:34 AM
[QUOTE=Canarsie]What else can they do if it's live? I haven't watched yet but in the era of cell phones this would be akin to stealing signs in baseball. What would stop a player from having a friend let him know what an opponents approximate hand is?

Yeah, I think that is exactly it. However I am still really enjoying the coverage. They had the poker brat in the booth last night and he was doing a great job, heck my 17 yr old daughter even came out and watched with me (we were so into it we ended up being late picking up the wife from the airport...doh!!!)

Storm Cadet
07-17-2011, 09:52 AM
Canarsie is right...they had to put a rule in regarding the use of cell phones this year and they had an incident where one guy whips out his phone after losing and the pit boss with the microphone saw him and tapped him on the shoulder and instructed him to leave the table. They also mentioned that people in the stands are getting text messages from TV viewers who relay plays to players during breaks.

davew
07-17-2011, 10:34 AM
I am sure that the old format with 30+ episodes leading to final table in November will be continued

this new format is really only for poker players wanting to follow live as afr as I can tell

the reason for lack of hole cards is because players have friends watching and looking for tells or playing betting/styles of others at table - they also switch every 30 minutes between 2 tables and rotate players in/out

cj
07-17-2011, 05:32 PM
I watched for a bit last night. It is incredibly boring. The guy guessing what the players have (is that Helmuth?) and being wrong 95% of the time is really poor.

Robert Goren
07-17-2011, 07:27 PM
If you are not into poker, you ain't going to like. It is sort of like watching the first half of an NBA game. Or the time you spend watching ESPN between Breeders Cup Races when your ADW is off line.

JBmadera
07-17-2011, 08:22 PM
no live action today on espn?

Robert Goren
07-17-2011, 10:34 PM
On Espn 3, back tomorrow

MMM59
07-17-2011, 10:40 PM
It's on live now Espn3....(Internet only)

Striker
07-18-2011, 12:46 AM
no live action today on espn?
Starts at 1am eastern for Day 6 action on ESPN2. In about 15 minutes by my watch.

Canarsie
07-18-2011, 06:55 AM
Could someone be kind enough to give me a heads up when the show starts running in it's original format.

Thanks this board really has a bunch of knowledgeable posters on such a variety of subjects.

Robert Goren
07-18-2011, 08:30 AM
Could someone be kind enough to give me a heads up when the show starts running in it's original format.

Thanks this board really has a bunch of knowledgeable posters on such a variety of subjects.July 26

how cliche
07-18-2011, 10:36 AM
I like the new format a lot, but definitely understand it's geared for more advanced players & that casual fans won't likely enjoy it. The movie style tournament coverage they've shown in years past is nothing more than the Sportcenter version. A highlight show.

It's good to see real life situations and the patience of great players. You'll note that a preflop raise is put in a lot of the time and called or reraised only some of the time. In real life no limit there's alotta hands that go fold fold fold fold raise fold fold fold fold. It's just the way it is and now we get to see that. I also like not knowing if a four bet was made with air or the goods. It's great to see tables with nothing but players operating with 120 or more big blinds, which more closely resembles an actual game.

Here's a trick for enjoying the coverage in the new format. Find a player you like and conceptually put yourself in their seat. Don't worry about your own hole cards. Every time they see a flop try to put their opponent on a hand. Try to make their opponent's story add up in relation to the stack sizes, the board and the betting. At first listen to the analyst for clues on how to do this. Then you should mute the tv and it's your turn to work.

I've been very impressed with the analysts I've listened to thus far. People don't understand that it's quite rare when a player can isolate the one hand their opponent is holding. The analysts go through the realistic process of listing a range of hands they could have. It's what players do. From there they determine which ones are the 2 or 3 more likely hands and tell the viewers their opinion. Yes they're incorrect at times, but their process is correct.

Robert Goren
07-18-2011, 10:50 AM
I've been very impressed with the analysts I've listened to thus far. People don't understand that it's quite rare when a player can isolate the one hand their opponent is holding. The analysts go through the realistic process of listing a range of hands they could have. It's what players do. From there they determine which ones are the 2 or 3 more likely hands and tell the viewers their opinion. Yes they're incorrect at times, but their process is correct. I have been too. That could be because the analysts actually make a very good living playing poker unlike the jokers that ESPN uses for horse racing. The other great thing is the fluff pieces they do about individual players are very short.

JBmadera
07-18-2011, 11:18 AM
agree, there has been some really interesting analysis and I am enjoying not seeing the hole cards

Striker
07-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Day 7 on tonight 7pm-10pm eastern time ESPN2.

Bettowin
07-20-2011, 01:16 AM
Been watching tonight. Real easy game sitting behind the TV just like every other game/sport.

Remember this is a 7-8 day event of dodging lady luck. The perfect play can be undone by some idiot making a bad call and getting lucky.

That is what makes this so good.

CBedo
07-20-2011, 03:46 AM
About 10 minutes left until 250k/500k 50k ante level. I wish one of the final 10 would go broke so I could go to bed, lol.

Overall, as you would expect, the play has been pretty conservative with everyone wanting to come back and play in November.

CBedo
07-20-2011, 05:26 AM
What a terrible meltdown call by Hewitt with KQo. Did he really fall for the hollywooding by Bounahra and put him JJ or TT?