PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Evening Race Stats

senortout
07-15-2011, 01:21 PM
This shocked me, maybe it shouldn't but it did.

Thurs daytime, July 7, 2011 HANDLE
on track attendance...............2,423 on track attendance........623k and change
Friday night, July 8, 2011......20,206 on track attendance........668k and change

AWD handle
TVG/Xpress/Youbet
Thursday.......................................... ..............................536k and change
Friday............................................ .................................823k and change

of course there were other handle sources, however these are the ones I wanted to point out for those interested in such things.

wow, those extra 17k+ people all left their wallets at home, didn't they?

senortout

picojim
07-15-2011, 01:42 PM
all those people just came for the Rebelution Concert

toussaud
07-15-2011, 01:45 PM
the fact that they seem to think they can just toss any 8 races out on a friday night doesn't seem to help either.

A few times I've sat down and watched the entire card on a friday night and not made a single wager. the card is usually pathetically weak. Thursdays race usually a good card. it's like they think the allure of wagering on a friday night is enough for gamblers.

that's what i think downs after dark gets right that hollywood park does not. downs after darik card is usually pretty stout for a Friday card.

look at this bullshit tonight.
[
race 1: a 25k 5 horse field that i gurantee you 1 horse will scratch out of before PT, with a 4/5 shot that will go off at 2/5 when it's said and done and will walk.

race 2: 2YO STATE BRED claiming fillies going 5F

race 3: turf starter allowance

race 4: 6 1/2 claiming cheap ass horses where anyone can win and probably where anyone will win lol the M/L Fav jockey has 1 freaking career win lol.

race 5: probably hte oly good betting race on the card IMHO.

race 6: the Hollywood special, cheap state breds going 1 turn.

race 7: this is a good race to watch, but damn 4 of the 5 horses are under 3/ \1. WTF am i supposed to do with this crap

race 8: see races, 6, 4, 1

GaryG
07-15-2011, 03:00 PM
race 4: 6 1/2 claiming cheap ass horses where anyone can win and probably where anyone will win lol the M/L Fav jockey has 1 freaking career win lol.Maybe just one freaking win, but this kid can ride. Have you ever watched him? Golden Tranquility has a shot to wire them at a price.

rwwupl
07-15-2011, 03:07 PM
We have had this marketing to attract "young People" for 20 years with Friday night racing and such.

You can get them in the door with concerts and $1.00 beer, but they are not there to bet horses... and never will be.

The young people have primary interests and instinct and it does not include betting on horses.

Marketing has been doing this for 20 years, spending millions and expecting a different result?

Where are the results of this effort?

Meanwhile, the mature set is larger than ever before, and are maligned by the establishment as "deceased and decomposed" as the price of participation is increased to them.

Marketing needs to rethink.

rw

andymays
07-15-2011, 04:35 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/hollywood-park-pay-retroactive-7-percent-purse-hike

Excerpt:
Hollywood Park enacted a 50-cent pick five with a 14 percent takeout this meet, a bet that has proven to be quite popular. Through Thursday, a span of 51 racing days, the pick five has outhandled the pick six on 29 occasions. The pick-five pool has averaged $200,781, while the pick six, swelled by carryovers, has averaged $303,132.

“It seems to me that shows the wagering public was attracted to it because of the lower takeout and the lower entry fee,” Liebau said. The bet will be offered at the Hollywood Park fall meeting, pending discussions with the Thoroughbred Owners of California. Liebau said the bet is not a moneymaker for tracks.“The tragic part is that the tracks cannot afford to continue to offer such wagers when a disproportionate amount of the takeout goes to purses,” he said. “We need cooperation on the division of the takeout with the TOC. I would hope that the tracks would have continued discussions with the TOC with a more equitable distribution of revenue when there is a lower takeout.”

Stillriledup
07-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Anyone know the reason Hollywood isnt racing in the day today? I would think with the huge traffic situation in that part of town that starts later today, they would have been visionaries and raced today before all the chaos started.

Maybe they would do it differently if they had the option.

andymays
07-15-2011, 05:12 PM
Anyone know the reason Hollywood isnt racing in the day today? I would think with the huge traffic situation in that part of town that starts later today, they would have been visionaries and raced today before all the chaos started.

Their on track handle is going to nose dive the last few days because of CARmageddon.

Stillriledup
07-15-2011, 05:20 PM
Their on track handle is going to nose dive the last few days because of CARmageddon.

Exactly. They race in the day when Churchill has Oaks day, no reason they couldnt race in the day now. I guess they want their patrons driving in traffic jams in Inglewood at 10:30pm (or later, depending if you stay for the concert) getting home.

Producer
07-15-2011, 05:37 PM

Why is there going to be more traffic tonight as opposed to all the other Friday nights they race? Is there something special going on tonight in that part of town to cause all this "chaos" you speak of?

andymays
07-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Why is there going to be more traffic tonight as opposed to all the other Friday nights they race? Is there something special going on tonight in that part of town to cause all this "chaos" you speak of?

Google carmageddon.

onegoodday
07-15-2011, 05:48 PM

The 405 is gonna be closed for 2 days prettymuch...:ThmbDown:

Producer
07-15-2011, 05:51 PM
Google carmageddon.

Wow, that's nuts! I have lots of family in Cali and go out there about once or twice a year. I can't imagine the LA traffic any worse than it already is. What a disaster.

jelly
07-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Andy,who's telling the truth?

From Steve Andersen.DRF
Liebau projects that Hollywood Park will end the meeting Sunday with an average all-sources handle down approximately 3 percent over the corresponding meeting in 2010. From Southern California sources, Liebau said ontrack and inter-track wagering was down only 1 percent.

Through June 21, total handle at Hollywood Park was down $29.68 million (about 12%) from the previous year’s figures, according to handle statistics. The wager-by-wager declines were across the board—from 1.4% for the pick six to 21.9% for trifectas.
Read more: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/63701/in-california-politics-colors-takeout-fight#ixzz1SDaHB2PN

andymays
07-15-2011, 07:48 PM

From Steve Andersen.DRF
Liebau projects that Hollywood Park will end the meeting Sunday with an average all-sources handle down approximately 3 percent over the corresponding meeting in 2010. From Southern California sources, Liebau said ontrack and inter-track wagering was down only 1 percent.

Through June 21, total handle at Hollywood Park was down $29.68 million (about 12%) from the previous year’s figures, according to handle statistics. The wager-by-wager declines were across the board—from 1.4% for the pick six to 21.9% for trifectas.
Read more: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/63701/in-california-politics-colors-takeout-fight#ixzz1SDaHB2PN

Liebau is using Average per Race 760,593 % Change -3.6%

Trifecta (23.68%) handle has suffered the most being down over 14%.

The BloodHorse article is a little old and they've had several pick 6 carryovers since the article. That saved them along with the good publicity they got from the low takeout P5.

bob60566
07-15-2011, 07:59 PM

From Steve Andersen.DRF

They just gave bad product from terrible one at San Anita what will Del Mar present.
Mac:) :) :)

andymays
07-15-2011, 08:03 PM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/california-politics/2011/07/governor-jerry-brown-acts-on-turf-disputes.html

Excerpt:

The governor signed another turf-related bill, allowing county fairs and horse tracks to increase the number of out-of-state horse races that they may simulcast and accept wagers on each day from 32 to 50.

Assemblyman Martin Garrick (R-Carlsbad) said his AB 707 will help California's struggling horse-racing industry by giving it a marketing tool to boost attendance at its tracks and leverage for business deals with racetracks outside the state.

andymays
07-15-2011, 08:11 PM
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_18481801

Robbins didn't want to guess on what type of effect the horse players' boycott of California racing has had on all-sources handle at Santa Anita and Hollywood Park this year.

"I can't come close to quantifying it, but it's had an effect," he said. "I think there are people out there that pay close attention to it with the social networking going on, where maybe 10 years ago it would have been difficult.

"Those folks have done a pretty good job at telling the story in terms of what tracks charge in terms of takeout. So I gotta believe it's had an effect."

bob60566
07-15-2011, 08:18 PM
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_18481801

Robbins didn't want to guess on what type of effect the horse players' boycott of California racing has had on all-sources handle at Santa Anita and Hollywood Park this year.

"I can't come close to quantifying it, but it's had an effect," he said. "I think there are people out there that pay close attention to it with the social networking going on, where maybe 10 years ago it would have been difficult.

"Those folks have done a pretty good job at telling the story in terms of what tracks charge in terms of takeout. So I gotta believe it's had an effect."
I agree I was against the boycott but my socal betting is down 70% without boycott.
Mac:)

BlueShoe
07-16-2011, 01:13 AM
The governor signed another turf-related bill, allowing county fairs and horse tracks to increase the number of out-of-state horse races that they may simulcast and accept wagers on each day from 32 to 50.
:jump: This is huge, it is a more than 50% increase in the number of races allowed to be sent in. With Los Al, Fairplex, and Hol open 7 days a week, and now this, California may finally be catching up with the simulcast policy of most of the rest of the country. Usually am pretty alert to anything relating to simulcasting, but missed this one, this thread is the first notice. A quick search has not given any schedule as to when the new policy will be in effect.

BlueShoe
07-16-2011, 01:36 AM
An entire freeway will be closed for 2 1/2 days, one of the busiest in the world. Much of the entire LA metro area will be affected as drivers switch to surface streets to find alternate routes. Widespread media coverage and warning, including national. A friend must go the airport saturday to pick someone up.:( LAX is in the closure area, and will not be a fun place to be this weekend. It is just down the road from HollyPark. Hope my pal takes a couple of tranquilizers before he leaves. As I type these words the freeway has been closed and Hol still has one race to go.

Igeteven
07-16-2011, 02:04 AM
Race tracks are here looking for other sources of revenue, this pays the overhead for them, as to racing, :eek: :eek: :eek:

jamey1977
07-16-2011, 06:38 AM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/california-politics/2011/07/governor-jerry-brown-acts-on-turf-disputes.html

Excerpt:

Assemblyman Martin Garrick (R-Carlsbad) said his AB 707 will help California's struggling horse-racing industry by giving it a marketing tool to boost attendance at its tracks and leverage for business deals with racetracks outside the state.
Does this mean we will be allowed to bet all of the New York races ? They have their first race at 10 A.M P.S T sometimes. So the tracks will have to open early. We are sick and tired of missing those first 3 New York Races

BlueShoe
07-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Does this mean we will be allowed to bet all of the New York races ? They have their first race at 10 A.M P.S T sometimes. So the tracks will have to open early. We are sick and tired of missing those first 3 New York Races
Sure hope so. For years, many of us have been critical about the way the simo schedule has presented partial chopped up cards from many tracks rather than full cards from fewer tracks. With 18 more races, perhaps we will now get the full slate. If they just increase the number of tracks and send even more partial cards thing will get a bit messy. For myself, it is far easier and more enjoyable to handicap five or six complete tracks than it is to 'cap eight or nine partial ones. From the otb facility point of view, there could be some objection to earlier races. At some times of the year the first races would go off at 9:25 or 9:30 Pacific time. This would require an earlier opening, with the associated additional expense of staffing, electricity, etc. However, am very glad about this expansion of the simo schedule. With the decline of California racing, more and more of my focus has been on out of state races, and this will give those of us that wager on carefully selected spot plays a big boost in the pool of races to choose from.

Tom
07-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Race tracks are here looking for other sources of revenue, this pays the overhead for them, as to racing, :eek: :eek: :eek:

I thought that, too. Parking, admission, drinks, food, programs......gotta be a shot in the arm for them.

toussaud
07-16-2011, 10:40 AM
I have a question.

so if you live in los angeles and want to wager on any race outside the state, you can do so from an ADW account can't you? they don't limit that as well do they? I'm assuming it's just the tracks