PDA

View Full Version : Big Jim camp kept the faith.....

Hanover1
07-15-2011, 12:54 PM
Saturday, July 16th marks the annual Medowlands Pace, and despite a checkered career, Big Jim is ML fave (2-1) to win this $1,000,000.00 dash. After back to back defeats at 1-9 odds, many called for a driver switch, including myself. Hudon has since gone public with his regrets regarding previous steers, and Carr and Dean have held firm in their resolve to retain Hudon for the big dance.
It looks like .49 flat could get all of this one, as it does not apper to be an overly precocious crop considering the sizzling winner of the NA Cup could only muster a spot on the $100,000 consolation.
If Big Jim is to add/begin/repair his legacy, we need to see a W after his lines on this one. Best of luck to Friday and Co.

Sea Biscuit
07-15-2011, 02:49 PM
My picks for the Pace

1 Roll With Joe

2.Powerful Mist

3.Foreclosure N.

4.Custard The Dragon.

pandy
07-15-2011, 03:34 PM
I picked Big Jim eventhough there is no value in betting him. I've never seen Hudon give him a bad drive. In the NA CUP FINAL they told Hudon to race off the pace. In the Somebeachsomewhere Hudon did exactly what you do with the best horse, he quarter-moved to the lead but Mohawk was severely biased against speed, Big Jim went in 1:49.1 with a :27.3 final quarter and got beat by Up The Credit who took advantage of the closer's bias. Big Jim is a puller and can be a handful to drive but he appeared to be a bit more settled in last two starts. Hudon did a great job with Big Jim in the Breeders Crown, the horse was green and had a hard time handling the turns. Hudon is no weakling I can tell you that.

mrroyboy
07-15-2011, 06:09 PM
I loved Big Jim last week after his blazeing last half in the race before. If he can close like that again he might be untouchable.
Meanwhile I will be rooting for The sweethart of Harness raceing Peelers but this field is pretty tough.

Hanover1
07-15-2011, 07:56 PM
I would like to see Custard get the job done. Ultra consistent horse that appears to be ready. Always a thrill when the youngest kid ever to win a big one comes around. ;)

Hanover1
07-17-2011, 09:28 PM
I am going to stay mum on this one except to add that we did mention that Ronnie P would have been my choice for a replacement for Hudon should they see fit to switch drivers. Lo and behold, Ronnie P gets the job done on the rival mount, collaring an extremely wide going BJ by a neck. Wonder what this horse has/is learning by switching style so many times? Draw inside and take back off the gate, and leave from outside posts and wire them. Can't win for losin......

Sinner369
07-18-2011, 01:44 PM
My picks for the Pace

1 Roll With Joe

2.Powerful Mist

3.Foreclosure N.

4.Custard The Dragon.

Good picking Sea Biscuit.........but can you tell me why you picked "Joe"?

I sure the hell did not see Roll With Joe....yet the horse was bet down (5-1)..

Surprised me............!!!

LottaKash
07-18-2011, 02:50 PM
My picks for the Pace

1 Roll With Joe

Roll with "The Biscuit....:jump:

best,

Hanover1
07-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Good picking Sea Biscuit.........but can you tell me why you picked "Joe"?

I sure the hell did not see Roll With Joe....yet the horse was bet down (5-1)..

Surprised me............!!!

Didn't he finish 2nd in NA Cup in front of BJ?

Sinner369
07-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Didn't he finish 2nd in NA Cup in front of BJ?

Hanover:

You are right, Roll did finish in front of Big Jim...........but off a trip, (Only my opinion, but Roll should have won the race sitting on a perfect trip, sat 2nd all the way and still lost to Up The Credit).

My own reason is that Roll With Joe is not a winning type of horse. The horse won the Meadowlands Pace off a trip, again, sitting in the two hole. The last half went in 55~2 but the first half went in 53.........so they were crawling home (remember, for this class of horses).

Guess that this crop of three year old pacers are not that good.............!!!

sonnyp
07-19-2011, 07:25 PM
congratulations to pearce. i remember when he was scrounging drives at monticello. an old wives tale professed that horses are scared to death of bear. ron, an avid fisherman and outdoorsman came up with some kind of grease with a "bear scent" which he applied to himself. his thought was if horses truly were terrified of bear, and he was sitting behind them carryirg this scent, the horses would go faster in their attempt to flee.

i don't know how much success it generated, but i heard he got a severe reprimand from the stewards and was a popular topic for discussion on the east coast circuit.

unfortunately, now, some trainers have much more sophisticated means for their horses to go faster.