PDA

View Full Version : Wannabe Cheerleader Cut

cj's dad
07-15-2011, 10:28 AM
From the "you can't make this s**t up file:

Girl with no arms and legs says cheerleading try-out is unfair after she fails to make school squad

A Nebraska girl born with no arms and legs has blamed unfair scoring after she failed to make her school's cheerleading squad three years in a row.

Julia Sullivan, 16, has complained to the school board after she said she was given 'no accommodation for her disability' during try-outs.

The wheelchair user did not make the team after she received a low score in the jumps/kicks category of the trials.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2014508/Girl-arms-legs-says-Nebraska-school-cheerleading-try-unfair.html#ixzz1SBTVd86j (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2014508/Girl-arms-legs-says-Nebraska-school-cheerleading-try-unfair.html#ixzz1SBTVd86j)

Let's Roll
07-15-2011, 10:53 AM
What I have observed is that the physical body is second to the mind and spirit. I hope someone steps forward and finds a sensible way that gives her the chance to participate.In the meantime, I will not consider her a wannabe, her desire makes her tops in my book, I admire her and I am sure she makes her parents very proud. My best wishes to this young lady.

cj's dad
07-15-2011, 11:06 AM
LR-

I'm not criticizing her. I just thought it was a very odd story.

She tried (good for her), she failed, move on. She is to be applauded for her effort. I nor anyone else would want to live a day in her place.

And finally, she did "Want to be a cheerleader". That was not meant to be a derogatory comment.

Steve 'StatMan'
07-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Lots of girls want to be cheerleaders but don't make it. Any fan and school spirited kid can cheer. Nice idea, they didn't go for it. Being on the side but not a part of all the moves might work, would a lift be possible with her?

Yeah, there are some jokes in here - but would come off mean spirited I suppose, and I don't want that - she's got to have a good sense of humor by now if she wants to be public enough to be a cheerleader. Aw heck. Take it fun spirit please - but maybe they could compromise and let her be the cheerlear and team mascot for the girls bowling team.

Tom
07-15-2011, 11:42 AM
I want to be a jockey.

Jay Trotter
07-15-2011, 11:49 AM
She tried (good for her), she failed, move on. She is to be applauded for her effort. I nor anyone else would want to live a day in her place.
Aurora superintendent Damon McDonald said: 'In both cases, they came back and said the Aurora Public Schools policies and guidelines are appropriate and legitimate for all students.'

He told the World-Herald that he does not believe that they violated the disabilities act and that making accommodations 'would fundamentally alter the cheerleading programme'.

I say "that if that is the law, sir, then the law is an ass"!

What small minded imbeciles are running this program -- isn't this girl exactly what "American spirit" is all about. She could have easily quit after her first or second attempt, but she keeps trying! The school is much the less for her exclusion.

TJDave
07-15-2011, 12:15 PM
The school is much the less for her exclusion.

Absolutely. The school should make her head cheerleader...maybe the only cheerleader.

When I first opened the thread I chuckled a bit. Then I read her story. There's no quit in this girl. More American than apple pie. She will be 1000% more than anyone expects.

Sad that her parents and the media exploit her. The only thing for which she is undeserving.

socantra
07-15-2011, 12:30 PM
I want to be a jockey.

Anything is possible?

Hanover1
07-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Anything is possible?

While I admire her spirit, I was going to reply along this line regarding the outrage she feels after having been declined.

JustRalph
07-15-2011, 01:31 PM
wow..........

Steve 'StatMan'
07-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Obviously a sprited girl, probably pretty friendly, pretty face. Sad situation, glad she's making do pretty well. But no one is guaranteed a spot on an athletic team, student council, etc. There are lots of not so talented to untalend kids, with or without looks, or perhaps modest to little abilty, with full arms and limbs, that get turned down when they try out. This may seem unfair, but some things in life just aren't fair.

I knew a kid in my old high school, who graduated after me, who had a bit of a physical problem, walked with a built up shoe - slightly off but decent intelligence. He likely knew he wasn't cut otu for football, but became the a team manager, worked the sidelines and the practices, carried the equipment, brought out the water, kicking tees, etc. Even put up with being called "Arch" when he'd asked to be called Mike or Michael. (His last name was Archer - he had an older sister with cerebal palsy. Both kids absoulty sweet & friendly.) Later, his classmates nominated him for Homecoming King, which at first seemed like a joke, but he really epitmoized school spirit and was really a great guy, and I was proud to be back for the visit when the made him Homecoming King - so much applause and wet eyes from the student, faculty and staff.

Maybe she'll find similiar happiness. I just hope raising the legal issues and focring herself where many others can't go for either lack of ability or limited number of members accepted won't turn this ugly, or put people against her. If this is a high school with serious acrobatics that is seriouosly focused on this, it just isn't a good fit. Dress up like a cheerleader if you want, or in full team spirit. Spin in that wheelchair if you have room. Sit with your friends, yell, scream enjoy the moment and have a blast. It goes away too fast to spend time being upset and doing things that make it bitter.

Steve 'StatMan'
07-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Heck, I remember the fun we used to have - my male friends would got to most of the games (I and others went to road games.) We'd yells & whoop it up with the cheerleaders, and occasionally lead an impromptu cheer from the our seats, getting the cheerleaders and the fellow students involed, having fun with the girls around us, etc. All part of the fun. Sure, we had one male student as the mascot (a male character), normally reserved for a Letterman. I'd have liked to have been the mascot (a Pioneer) but they were good guys, knew people in the programs, I let it go and just did the best I could. I didn't go out for teams - I wasn't a poor athlete, just a very stall stick-kid back then, who would have gotten broken on the football field, and didn't have enough for basketball, and little upper arm strength back then. Disappointed, but just cheered - it was for the best.

Steve 'StatMan'
07-15-2011, 01:53 PM
I think a girl at my high school who only had 1 leg (oftern used an artificial leg) was a Wrestling Cheerleader and maybe at Baseball games. I don't think that team did much in physical stunts. The main team did a few minor lifts and a pyramid now and then, but not very physical like the competitive cheerleading squads of today with many lifts and physically demanding and frankly dangerous stunts. I'd leave it to the leaders to figure out if she fit with this particular program.

Tom
07-15-2011, 02:11 PM
Same opinions if she wanted to PLAY?

Marshall Bennett
07-15-2011, 02:54 PM
I want to be a jockey.
Yeah, it's quite unfair. I want to pilot a 747 and have sorry vision. I can't fly either. Someone should teach me and correct my vision.
She, her mother, or whoever else can go to hell. Never heard such stupid shit.

Dave Schwartz
07-15-2011, 02:58 PM
I think the point being missed here is that cheerleading... making the team... is/should be based upon talent. How does one with her condition prove that she has the talent necessary to compete?

The "I wanna be a jockey" picture is really a great example.

Another good one is "I wanna be in the NBA but I am too short," followed not too closely behind by "I wanna be in the NBA but I have no ability to compete."

If you take these logical steps, you realize changing the rules because someone cannot compete on an equal basis just does not make sense.

Look at golf. Why do you suppose the PGA doesn't use a "handicap system" like amateur golfers use? Of course, because it would defeat the purpose of the game, which is to reward the BEST players. It is not designed to reward based upon "everyone being equal."

Just my opinion.

Dave

rastajenk
07-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Finally, some common sense surfacing in this thread. There will be lots of things she can't do. Better to focus on the things she can.

JustRalph
07-15-2011, 04:14 PM
How about she gets a slot in the Fire Academy?

boxcar
07-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Finally, some common sense surfacing in this thread. There will be lots of things she can't do. Better to focus on the things she can.

Exactly! What this girl is really doing is demanding that the world bend over to meet her special needs. She expects everyone else to jump through hoops so that she can live like everyone else, even though she's not like everyone else. She's demanding special treatment due to her special physical limitations. This is just another way people behave in order to try to level that proverbial playing field because life has been unfair to her. She claims that the school was unfair to her. But deep down what she's really saying is that life didn't deal her a fair hand "like everyone else"; therefore, "everyone else" should compensate her for that misfortune. It's only right. It's everyone's moral duty.

Suppose a man born blind from birth has a brilliant mind; but he decides to put his brilliance to work for him by insisting on pursuing a career as a brain surgeon. Is this a realistic career path for him? Should all the medical schools he attends and hospitals he works in spend many millions of dollars to accommodate his special needs?

Yes, any handicapped person who aspires to great things, in spite of their limitations, should generally be praised and admired for their courageous heart, positive attitude and optimistic outlook on life; however, a truly wise person is also a prudent and realistic one. A balance must be struck between foolish aspirations and practicality. As with most situations, Reason should be give a chance to prevail.

Boxcar

TJDave
07-15-2011, 05:50 PM
I think the point being missed here is that cheerleading... making the team... is/should be based upon talent. How does one with her condition prove that she has the talent necessary to compete?

She's not trying out for the track team.

A cheerleader is a leader of cheers. One who inspires others to root for the team. I'd suspect the players would consider her efforts inspiring. Frankly, with her on the sidelines I'd be embarrassed not to be all I could.

Marshall Bennett
07-15-2011, 06:01 PM
She's not trying out for the track team.

A cheerleader is a leader of cheers. One who inspires others to root for the team. I'd suspect the players would consider her efforts inspiring. Frankly, with her on the sidelines I'd be embarrassed not to be all I could.
When you become a franchise owner, bring her in and 9 more like her. You'll be the talk of the sports world.

LottaKash
07-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Poor kid, I feel for her, but what an unrealistic expecatation....Shame on the the one(s) who are coaching her in life's ways....

best,

LottaKash
07-15-2011, 07:39 PM
I
Another good one is "I wanna be in the NBA but I am too short," followed not too closely behind by "I wanna be in the NBA but I have no ability to compete."
Dave

I wanna be like Dave Scwartz, but, my wife won't let me.....:jump:

best,

HUSKER55
07-15-2011, 08:02 PM
I wonder if hugh hefner would "scoot over" :lol:

Dave Schwartz
07-15-2011, 08:07 PM

Dave, I agree with you. However, I think being a "leader of cheers" is a highly physical position. At least from what little bit I have seen of the national competitions.

It is my opinion that the fact that she has a disability does not automatically qualify her as being able to be a "leader of cheers.,"

Again, just my opinion.

Dave

TJDave
07-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Poor kid, I feel for her, but what an unrealistic expecatation....Shame on the the one(s) who are coaching her in life's ways....

Literally.

Again, we're not talking golf or tennis or track. It's friggin cheerleading. I doubt she's lookin' to make a career of it. If she can figure out how to hold a megaphone and repeat silly rhymes she'll probably do OK.

Dave Schwartz
07-15-2011, 08:25 PM
If she can figure out how to hold a megaphone and repeat silly rhymes she'll probably do OK.

Okay, I see, now. The problem here is that you have no respect for cheerleading. I would bet you that you'd have no problem finding someone locally who would tell you how hard these people work at it.

I have a friend whose life revolved around cheerleading in college. I assure you that the physical condition he and his fellow cheerleaders were in was an absolute necessity for the routines they did.

It certainly isn't my cup of tea; holds no interest for me; but these guys and girls work really hard at it.

I'll quit now.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

TJDave
07-15-2011, 08:31 PM
I think being a "leader of cheers" is a highly physical position. At least from what little bit I have seen of the national competitions.

I'd think national competitions are a completely different thing. Don't know what to think of it but I can't see any connection to cheerleading. I'd also doubt she or her parents would expect to be included in something like that.

Which certainly would qualify as an unreasonable expectation.

JustRalph
07-15-2011, 08:33 PM
Okay, I see, now. The problem here is that you have no respect for cheerleading. I would bet you that you'd have no problem finding someone locally who would tell you how hard these people work at it.

I have a friend whose life revolved around cheerleading in college. I assure you that the physical condition he and his fellow cheerleaders were in was an absolute necessity for the routines they did.

It certainly isn't my cup of tea; holds no interest for me; but these guys and girls work really hard at it.

I'll quit now.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

you better, you are making way too much sense.............

TJDave
07-15-2011, 08:56 PM

Well, I certainly don't disrespect cheerleading as a high school popularity contest, hobby, or as a means to physical fitness but I would find it silly and more than a bit strange to obsess about it. So, I guess you've got me there.

johnhannibalsmith
07-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Yeah, it's quite unfair. I want to pilot a 747 and have sorry vision. I can't fly either. Someone should teach me and correct my vision.
She, her mother, or whoever else can go to hell. Never heard such stupid shit.

This makes me feel a little better about my own reaction.

Kudos to her for being all she can be, but come on now...

Steve 'StatMan'
07-15-2011, 10:35 PM
We've Got Sprint!
In The Gyms!
We've Got Spirit!
Just No Limbs!

Wooooh! (Spins around in chair. Pops a Wheelie.)

When she gets to college, will she expect to be on the college cheerleading team too? Plenty of H.S. cheerleaders don't make their college squads. And yes, it hurts many of their feelings at first. And I'm sure some come up with all kinds of excuses.

NFL Cheerleader? They dance, but don't do lifts, tosses in air & catches, etc. But still pretty ridculous right, because even though she has a pretty face, what to the male fans look at to keep them interested in the game on the field between plays?

I thouht maybe she could get a sprited bunch of her fellow disabled classmates and form a second team, maybe perform once a game - home games, where they would be more appreciated than at rival schools, but I'm sure many of them might not be comfortable out there like her - I do give her credit for not being afraid. But if she doesn't fit with a highly acrobatic program, then no, she should be on the squad.

Really more of a sidelines only act. Nice thought, don't know if would get in the way. But really, that can be done in the stands. I hate the thought of her being alone in the handicaped section so she can spin her wheel chair. I suspect and hope she has lots of friends. Please, be with them and enjoy the time.

Tom
07-15-2011, 11:27 PM
Literally.

Again, we're not talking golf or tennis or track. It's friggin cheerleading. I doubt she's lookin' to make a career of it. If she can figure out how to hold a megaphone and repeat silly rhymes she'll probably do OK.

Your sexist view here is insulting to cheerleaders! Young girls take it very seriously, and they work hard to get their spots and do good. There is no difference between cheer leading and playing line backer in terms of ambition and efforts. You diminish the other girls. What is fair to them? Why should they have to lower their standards and play

Oh, maybe you haven't heard, there are professional cheerleaders - ever hear of Dallas? Maybe SHE isn't looking ahead to that, but the others might be.

Tom
07-15-2011, 11:35 PM
We've Got Sprint!
In The Gyms!
We've Got Spirit!
Just No Limbs!

Maybe she should try out for the baseball team - she could play first base.

JustRalph
07-16-2011, 05:44 AM
Sometimes it's hard to tell when Tom is having fun. It's 5:45a and I am laughing my head off after reading the last two posts.........I hope I got it right..... :lol:

Tom
07-16-2011, 10:38 AM
You did! :D

witchdoctor
07-16-2011, 11:37 AM
"I wanna be a jockey"

Dave

Now that would be funny. :lol: :lol: