PDA

View Full Version : Happy Bastille Day!

DJofSD
07-14-2011, 11:05 AM
http://www.netglimse.com/holidays/bastille_day/bastille_day_origin.shtml

For the peasant class, the Bastille stood as a symbol of the hypocrisy and corruption of the aristocratic government - controlled mostly by nobility and clergy. This important event marked the entry of the popular class into the French Revolution. The French recognize Bastille Day as the end of the monarchy and beginning of the modern republic. The lasting significance of the event was in its recognition that power could be held by ordinary citizens, not in the King or in God.

Time for an American redux.

Overlay
07-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Off with their heads!

DJofSD
07-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Start with the little one then go the the big one -- but take your time.

DJofSD
07-14-2011, 01:35 PM
If not for Bastille Day, you probably would not have a place to visit and have a sumptuous meal:

With the Revolution, the nobles literally lost their heads, so what were their chefs to do? They headed to Paris and set up restaurants to serve the new, democratically-elected government." (http://www.thefeast.com/chicago/restaurants/FEAST-EAT-CHI-A-Culinary-Historians-Six-Point-Guide-to-the-Past-Present-and-Future-of-French-Food-125544083.html)

OTM Al
07-14-2011, 01:39 PM
It is considered the end of monarchy in France, which is the reason for celebration. However, it led to years of instability and violence, reaching its height in 1793-94 with what is referred to as the Reign of Terror as the revolutionary leaders began killing everyone they perceived as a threat. Some 30,000 people were executed, including the former king and his family. The instability ended for a time with the revolution being swept away and replaced by a guy name Napoleon leading to more years of death and destruction across all of Europe. Shows how the best of intentions can result in the worst of consequences.

DJofSD
07-14-2011, 01:59 PM
And here I thought all horse players were optimists. It's meant to be a post to have a little fun, not revel in the dark side of human nature. Gee whiz, you'd think it was a thread celebrating those born on April 20, 1889.

OTM Al
07-14-2011, 03:41 PM
And here I thought all horse players were optimists. It's meant to be a post to have a little fun, not revel in the dark side of human nature. Gee whiz, you'd think it was a thread celebrating those born on April 20, 1889.

Nope, just a little history lesson. Wonder how many people can tell you who was born on that date though.

PhantomOnTour
07-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Today is my mother's birthday...july 14th...Bastille Day.

Her parents were French thru and thru. Lived in New Orleans and didn't speak English (darn immigrants never wanna assimilate! :lol: ); old school as it gets. My granmere and granpere wore their Sunday best to the dinner table every night (i am talking a suit and tie and a dress), and they had the strange custom of eating their salad as the last course. My mother still eats that way...salad last.

Happy Birthday Mom
Happy Bastille Day

Shemp Howard
07-14-2011, 08:39 PM

As every schoolboy used to know, Apri l20, 1899 is the birthday of the jewish bastard out of the mare Maria Anna Schicklgruber (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Schicklgruber). That said, Bastilee Day is nothing to celebrate, unless your enjoy religious persecution and have a lust for murder of innocents.

DJofSD
07-15-2011, 08:54 AM
That said, Bastilee Day is nothing to celebrate, unless your enjoy religious persecution and have a lust for murder of innocents.
Buzz kill. You must really be fun at parties.

rastajenk
07-15-2011, 04:07 PM
Let them eat yellowcake. :p

Steve 'StatMan'
07-16-2011, 12:55 AM
Off with the Feds!