PDA

View Full Version : More UAW follies

ArlJim78
07-14-2011, 09:59 AM
okay the last time we saw a video of Detroit UAW workers caught gettin high at lunch, we were told it was unfair union bashing based on a few bad apples.

Well some are still doing it, see video at the link below. Now their own co-workers are dropping a dime and calling the TV network to report it. and kudos to those people because why should they have to work next to a guy that is buzzed out of his mind.

The twist this time, its happening right on UAW property! when the reporter goes inside the union office to ask the guy about it, he does his best captain Renault impersonation, "We didn't see anything". Yet day after day the same cars park out there with smoke billowing out of the windows.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/chrysler-workers-in-trenton-caught-smoking-and-drinking-during-lunch-breaks-20110713-dk

Robert Goren
07-14-2011, 10:14 AM
So how is this news. Drug use on the job has been a problem for a long time. When I worked a candy company in the early 70s there were people get high on their breaks and that was a non union company. Any company of any size has a policy on how to deal with it when they discover it. Every company I worked for since 1990 was pro active in trying to discover it. If you hire enough people you are bound to get some drug users. It is the law of averages.

dartman51
07-14-2011, 10:28 AM
So how is this news. Drug use on the job has been a problem for a long time. When I worked a candy company in the early 70s there were people get high on their breaks and that was a non union company. Any company of any size has a policy on how to deal with it when they discover it. Every company I worked for since 1990 was pro active in trying to discover it. If you hire enough people you are bound to get some drug users. It is the law of averages.

I agree with you Robert, that any company, of any size, can and do have drug users, and alcoholics. The difference is how they are disciplined. News, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. To me, the whole Weiner scandal, was not real news. Everyone knows that the political field is full of idiots and perverts, that think they are above the law. The only problem is, that if these things aren't brought into the open, they will NEVER be dealt with. Unions and Govt. are alike, in that they protect their own. :ThmbUp:

Robert Goren
07-14-2011, 10:51 AM
You are right but when it is discovered in upper management at a company, it isn't covered by Fox, MNBC, or internet blogs and it isn't posted here.

Tom
07-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Bobby, Bobby, Bobby....it is news for two good reasons:

1. We own part of GM, as taxpayers
2. We were forced to hand our tax dollars to bail out these worthless jerks

This is enough evidence to tell me we wanted our money saving them - we should have let hem fail and hope that the new owners would hired responsible employees.

Steve 'StatMan'
07-14-2011, 12:07 PM
i also don't think a bunch of upper managers are going to get together in a car and get stoned on their lunch hour.

More likely to happen individually, alone somewhere, perhaps an long lunch.

60's & 70's, I remember stuff like that in the early 80's. that shit don't happen any more - they save the group drunkfest until after hours, off company property, and usually it's a cash bar. (Last I remember, I haven't partied like that since 1999. Thankfully.)

JustRalph
07-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Bobby, Bobby, Bobby....it is news for two good reasons:

1. We own part of GM, as taxpayers
2. We were forced to hand our tax dollars to bail out these worthless jerks

This is enough evidence to tell me we wanted our money saving them - we should have let hem fail and hope that the new owners would hired responsible employees.

Thank you for pointing out what should be obvious to anybody with a modicum of intelligence. These guys have a job because U.S. Taxpayers were forced to buy into the company. Chrysler and GM received a gift from taxpayers. Well at least half the country owns part of the company. Remember 47% of the country pays no taxes

Robert Goren
07-14-2011, 12:31 PM
It nothing short of a miracle if no one in the upper management wasn't using drug and/or alcohol on company time. Just one of them could do more damage to the company than 10 union workers, but we will never hear about that. Low level workers caught using usually get fired, management get company paid for rehab. My point is that we only hear about the union workers.
Standard operating procedure in the parking management business is when a contract is up for renewal, the bigwigs come to town and get drunk with the garage owners or the decision makers for government owned garage. Drinks are an expense account item and on the contract bidder. I worked for five companies including the two largest in the world and they all operated that way. All but one was a publicly held company.

Tom
07-14-2011, 12:42 PM
It nothing short of a miracle if no one in the upper management wasn't using drug and/or alcohol on company time. Just one of them could do more damage to the company than 10 union workers, but we will never hear about that. Low level workers caught using usually get fired, management get company paid for rehab. My point is that we only hear about the union workers.

Maybe that is all there is to hear about. Ever been in an assembly plant?
There is a damn good reason you should be drunk or stoned around those machines, welders, traffic.....what is this automatic acceptance of bad behavior and condemning of anyone in authority or successful?