PDA

View Full Version : Threats on Social Security checks

JustRalph
07-12-2011, 09:58 PM
Obama has lost His mind......

Threatening or warning that SS checks could stop if there is no budget deal is one of the most asinine things I can ever remember a pol doing.

If I was Boehner I would dare him, then sit on my hands and wait for Barry to
To come back to the table begging
:bang:

ArlJim78
07-12-2011, 10:15 PM
Just when you think he can not go any lower, there he is using seniors as pawns.

JustRalph
07-12-2011, 10:19 PM
I just saw this thread at DU

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x1477653#1477742

I predict he will regret this move

mostpost
07-12-2011, 10:26 PM
So it's wrong for Obama to say that August Social Security checks could be affected by a failure to raise the debt ceiling, but it is all right for the Republicans to want to kill Social Security and Medicare completely.

I think it is wrong to see Obama's statement as a threat to seniors. He merely answered the question as accurately as he could.

Tom
07-12-2011, 10:32 PM
I think it is wrong to see Obama's statement as a threat to seniors. He merely answered the question as accurately as he could.

Too bad there wasn't another moron in the room - anyone could have answered it better than that! :lol::lol:

Robert Goren
07-12-2011, 10:52 PM
There is one thing for sure. No congressman or any of their bloated staffs should get paid. Concel their health insurance too. Ant cuts on SS or Medicare should be match by cuts on their salaries and benifits. But you won't even see a vote on that in either house of congress. You would be amazed at how fast the tea party republicans would come around on tax hikes if they were going to lose their government checks .
I wonder if Bachmann can tear herself away from Iowa long enough to vote either way on any deal. If she wants to president she show can she can lead by being in DC working with Boehner to come up with a deal.

Secretariat
07-12-2011, 10:53 PM
So it's wrong for Obama to say that August Social Security checks could be affected by a failure to raise the debt ceiling, but it is all right for the Republicans to want to kill Social Security and Medicare completely.

Republicans are playing a political game here. What can Obama say? Absolutely, I guarantee it even though we have no agreement, we have no rise in the debt celing, we have no new revenue enhancement. What else is he supposed to say?

It's unbeleivably hypocritical that the Republican Party can moan about this when for a decade they had two unfunded wars, and instituted a 1.2 trillion dollar new entitlement and had a a 72% debt increase under Bush. Where was the Republican outrage then? Where were the Republicans on raising the debt ceiling then? They are just transparent and self serving.

Now let's see - how many times was the Debt Limit raised during GW's tenure?

7 times.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-500803_162-4486228-500803.html

"With no fanfare and little notice, the national debt has grown by more than $4 trillion during George W. Bush's presidency.

It's the biggest increase under any president in U.S history.

On the day President Bush took office, the national debt stood at $5.727 trillion. The latest number from the Treasury Department shows the national debt now stands at more than $9.849 trillion. That's a 71.9 percent increase on Mr. Bush's watch.

The bailout plan now pending in Congress could add hundreds of billions of dollars to the national debt – though President Bush said this morning he expects that over time, "much if not all" of the bailout money "will be paid back."

But the government is taking no chances. Buried deep in the hundred pages of bailout legislation is a provision that would raise the statutory ceiling on the national debt to $11.315 trillion. It'll be the 7th time the debt limit has been raised during this administration. In fact it was just two months ago, on July 30, that President Bush signed the Housing and Economic Recovery Act, which contained a provision raising the debt ceiling to $10.615 trillion."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A9328-2005Feb8.html

How much did GW's entitlement program for Medicare Prescription Drugs cost taxpayers?

1.2 trillion

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A9328-2005Feb8.html

"Medicare Drug Benefit May Cost $1.2 Trillion
Estimate Dwarfs Bush's Original Price Tag

By Ceci Connolly and Mike Allen
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, February 9, 2005; Page A01

The White House released budget figures yesterday indicating that the new Medicare prescription drug benefit will cost more than $1.2 trillion in the coming decade, a much higher price tag than President Bush suggested when he narrowly won passage of the law in late 2003. "

Tom
07-12-2011, 10:57 PM
No one has spent as much as Obama, and in less than 3 years.
The repubs are not playing politics - they are offering serious actions that are needed. the dems have not even offered up a budget yet.

ArlJim78
07-12-2011, 11:08 PM
any kind of leader would have come up with a reassuring message, telling everyone that the US will not default, and that SS checks will go out. He is lying when he says that he cannot guarantee that those checks will go out.

newtothegame
07-12-2011, 11:11 PM
any kind of leader would have come up with a reassuring message, telling everyone that the US will not default, and that SS checks will go out. He is lying when he says that he cannot guarantee that those checks will go out.
Apparently, he doesnt know this Jim....which is even more laughable.

sandpit
07-12-2011, 11:28 PM

If Obama supporters want a reassuring message, here's one from him from 2006, when he was a senator:

“The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. Leadership means that ‘the buck stops here.’ Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America's debt limit.”

Sounds like he is an expert on failure and doing whatever is politically expedient. If I ran my home/business like the morons in Washington, I'd be either dead or jailed for life by the IRS.

ElKabong
07-13-2011, 12:14 AM
I just saw this thread at DU

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x1477653#1477742

I predict he will regret this move

awesome negativity flyin around DU these days. Feel the love for TOTUS...posts below

It should never have been suggestded in ANY context. Why didnt he threaten to stop the wars instead? -

Obama threatened today to not send out social security checks. Obama. the Dem. -

.....That being the case though, it was really stupid for Obama to make it sound like people wouldn't get their checks if this isn't something they have to be concerned about. He sure didn't do himself any good with a comment like that. -

We are being manipulated. Those of us who are retired, those who are disabled, depend on what the system has been for years. Obama only took moments to undo confidence people have felt in their government.
He should be firmly standing for SS, not intimating the checks won't come. It may be called hardball, but it's cruel. -

HUSKER55
07-13-2011, 06:02 AM
THREATEN TO CUT CONGRESS AND STAFF PAYCHECKS AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS!

WHAT DO YA WANT TO WAGER A DEAL WILL COME?

rastajenk
07-13-2011, 10:30 AM
And to think MSNBC runs Rachel Maddow plugs where she slams R's for divisive fear-mongering. The R's got nothin' on the D's in that regard. Fearmongering has been their trump card for decades.

JustRalph
07-13-2011, 10:45 AM

Exactly right

elysiantraveller
07-13-2011, 10:47 AM
And to think MSNBC runs Rachel Maddow plugs where she slams R's for divisive fear-mongering. The R's got nothin' on the D's in that regard. Fearmongering has been their trump card for decades.

The fear mongering and partisanship on both sides is absurd...

A solution to the problem is relatively simple if both sides were able to enter into dialogue instead of posturing...

BlueShoe
07-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Recall the recent scare tactic TV ad of an elderly woman in a wheel chair being pushed over a cliff? This is just more of the same.

ArlJim78
07-13-2011, 04:55 PM
I read somebody today calling it using the elderly as human shields.