PDA

View Full Version : Tote Board/ Monitor Tip

MPRanger
07-12-2011, 09:46 PM
About three weeks ago I was using my toteboard scheme and skipping thru the tracks looking for overlays. When I pulled up Calder I noticed something that I thought would make an interesting and informative post. This is something I can contribute to this group. I have gotten so much enjoyment out of over a few years of lurking, I'm happy to offer something back.

What caught my attention was the amounts and percentages of the WIN PLACE and SHOW pools being displayed in the Field section of Calders video signal. At a glance it looks like there is an imbalance between the Win and Show pool on the #3 horse. It shows that #3 has 14% of the Win pool but only 7% of the Show pool. So, if the horse is underbet by 50% in the Show pool it's an automatic bet for me. This is what I'm looking for - opportunities.

Before I marked my dry erase board to determine my bet size I noticed something else that gave me a good laugh and is the main point of this post.
The odds portion of the software of Calders signal shows the #3 horse going off at 4-1. So, how could he have 14% of the Win pool? At 14%, he should be going off at 6-1. Calders signal was displaying conflicting information.

How can you play a tote board scheme if you are getting bum info off the tracks video signal? Heck, how can you handicap and know what kind of a deal you are getting?

Give up?

Ok, here is the solution:

Always go by the odds being displayed in the software. That will always be the most recent information. Anything you see in the field portion of the signal is a derivative of the odds being sent by the totalizing company.

The entire picture on the video monitor is being uploaded from the race track to a satelight then being beamed to the communications company who makes the signal available to simulcast outlets everywhere it is being simulcasted.

The tote information is being collected at the point of sale and transmited to the tote company for tabulation. That information is being sent back to the track where the race in question is being run. The video dept at the track takes the tote info and includes it in their signal which is displayed on the left side of the monitor generally. The software at the track receivig the tote info generally updates in 20 second intervals but that's just a setting in their software. It could be a different interval.

Anything else being done with the tote info is being done by the video dept at the track. This is how you can get out of sync data on the video monitors at simulcast outlets.

(I hope the .jpg file uploaded - I don't see anything that tells me it did. If it didn't I can email it to anyone interested.)

CBedo
07-12-2011, 10:19 PM
What caught my attention was the amounts and percentages of the WIN PLACE and SHOW pools being displayed in the Field section of Calders video signal. At a glance it looks like there is an imbalance between the Win and Show pool on the #3 horse. It shows that #3 has 14% of the Win pool but only 7% of the Show pool. So, if the horse is underbet by 50% in the Show pool it's an automatic bet for me. This is what I'm looking for - opportunities.

Before I marked my dry erase board to determine my bet size I noticed something else that gave me a good laugh and is the main point of this post.
The odds portion of the software of Calders signal shows the #3 horse going off at 4-1. So, how could he have 14% of the Win pool? At 14%, he should be going off at 6-1. Calders signal was displaying conflicting information.

How can you play a tote board scheme if you are getting bum info off the tracks video signal? Heck, how can you handicap and know what kind of a deal you are getting?

Give up?

Ok, here is the solution:

Always go by the odds being displayed in the software. That will always be the most recent information. Anything you see in the field portion of the signal is a derivative of the odds being sent by the totalizing company.

The entire picture on the video monitor is being uploaded from the race track to a satelight then being beamed to the communications company who makes the signal available to simulcast outlets everywhere it is being simulcasted.

The tote information is being collected at the point of sale and transmited to the tote company for tabulation. That information is being sent back to the track where the race in question is being run. The video dept at the track takes the tote info and includes it in their signal which is displayed on the left side of the monitor generally. The software at the track receivig the tote info generally updates in 20 second intervals but that's just a setting in their software. It could be a different interval.

Anything else being done with the tote info is being done by the video dept at the track. This is how you can get out of sync data on the video monitors at simulcast outlets.

(I hope the .jpg file uploaded - I don't see anything that tells me it did. If it didn't I can email it to anyone interested.)14% of the win pool at Calder, which I think is an 18% takeout for WPS, is 9/2 (actually 4.9), not 6/1.