PDA

View Full Version : Hank Goldberg

tribecaagent
07-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Can someone please explain why this man is a member of the ESPN telecast?

He never picks a winner and adds zero value to the program. Does he have tantalizing photos of a producer?

There are several very sharp & very charismatic handicappers who would add value to the show.

I just don't get it.

lamboguy
07-09-2011, 08:50 PM
he's no worse than myself!

tribecaagent
07-09-2011, 08:59 PM
he's no worse than myself!

Bad day? sorry, but your previous comment was :lol:

Shemp Howard
07-09-2011, 09:43 PM
They don't call hin "The Hammer" for nothing.

toussaud
07-09-2011, 11:52 PM
They don't call hin "The Hammer" for nothing.
name should be "Hammered" Hank Goldberg

Stillriledup
07-10-2011, 03:22 AM
Hank Goldberg is horse racing's answer to young hot chicks who are portrayed as professional poker players on television. When people see Hank as a 'successful' racing commentator, their first thought is "how hard can it be if this guy can be successful in this game"

BELMONT 6-6-09
07-10-2011, 08:48 AM
At least they use Goldberg as a gambler..this is a gambling game and when he gives his selections (good or bad), the newbee's can see that the game is about betting.

Tom
07-10-2011, 08:49 AM
What ESPN telecasts?

Robert Goren
07-10-2011, 09:38 AM
And at least he is not selling some book or system. If you go the track, you see a lot bettors there just like him.

Robert Goren
07-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Hank Goldberg is horse racing's answer to young hot chicks who are portrayed as professional poker players on television. When people see Hank as a 'successful' racing commentator, their first thought is "how hard can it be if this guy can be successful in this game"The only time you see a hot chick at a poker tournament is if it is going to be on TV. They are even rarer at poker tournaments than they are at a simulcast site.

tribecaagent
07-10-2011, 12:02 PM
What ESPN telecasts?

Shockingly, they did the Hollywood Gold Cup yesterday.

Bruddah
07-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Hank Goldberg is horse racing's answer to young hot chicks who are portrayed as professional poker players on television. When people see Hank as a 'successful' racing commentator, their first thought is "how hard can it be if this guy can be successful in this game"

You make a logical and valid point. Definitely something I hadn't considered because I thought Goldberg was just someone's idiot nephew.

Tom
07-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Shockingly, they did the Hollywood Gold Cup yesterday.

Wow. Who did they get for a crew?

I never look at Hollywood or ESPN - I thought they gave it up.
Too bad...I was hoping they would have no claims on any races that they could pre-empt for little league.:rolleyes:

pktruckdriver
07-10-2011, 04:11 PM
What is his salary, lol

Stillriledup
07-10-2011, 11:36 PM
You make a logical and valid point. Definitely something I hadn't considered because I thought Goldberg was just someone's idiot nephew.

For some reason, they feel the need to have a 'village idiot' talking about the races. It doesnt really make much sense since ESPN isnt running an ADW so i'm not sure how they capitalize financially on having someone who doesnt know a heck of a lot about handicapping talking about it.

Its one of life's great mysteries how this guy has a job on a major network talking about horse racing.

davew
07-10-2011, 11:51 PM
I like him - looks and sounds like a veteran horseplayer

although I would rather see/hear Jessica Pacheco

Stillriledup
07-10-2011, 11:54 PM
I like him - looks and sounds like a veteran horseplayer

although I would rather see/hear Jessica Pacheco

One of the complaints i've heard from female newbies i've brought to racetracks is that "its all broken down old men who are leering at me, creepy"

TVG's late DD show has the right idea.

toussaud
07-11-2011, 04:35 AM
One of the complaints i've heard from female newbies i've brought to racetracks is that "its all broken down old men who are leering at me, creepy"

TVG's late DD show has the right idea.

as long as horse racing has been a sport, it's been ran by "broken down old men who are leering at her". Plus how is that different then her doing anything else an attractive young female is going to do as a hobby? Do broken down old men not window shop while going to the movies or while at the bowling alley?

While I agree horse racing needs fresh blood, even as a young man I don't take to that attitude very well. Most importantly because while eye candy is nice, at the end of the day you have to ask yourself what is the most important aspect of why you are there.. and If I am learning horse racing, "creepy old men" are exactly who I want teaching it to me. sorry jess.

rastajenk
07-11-2011, 09:00 AM
But Hank doesn't teach anybody anything. He just makes selections in the form of his wagers. I don't recall him explaining his thought process, if there is any, from basic handicapping angles or from his analysis of the odds. He's just along for the ride, adding nothing to the conversation.

egreen
07-11-2011, 09:25 AM
For some reason, they feel the need to have a 'village idiot' talking about the races. It doesnt really make much sense since ESPN isnt running an ADW so i'm not sure how they capitalize financially on having someone who doesnt know a heck of a lot about handicapping talking about it.

Its one of life's great mysteries how this guy has a job on a major network talking about horse racing.

There's no mystery to this at all. It's common knowledge within the industry that he has a "godfather" at ESPN who keeps him employed on these racing broadcasts. If that individual goes away, so will Hank, mercifully.

OTM Al
07-11-2011, 12:32 PM

Sometimes I wonder if that is why PA keeps you around too. For the record, I like Hank. He's been in the gambling game a long time. So what if you don't like his picks. At least he's giving out actual plays on racing, you know, because it's gambling, not just pretty ponies.

Bruddah
07-11-2011, 12:36 PM

Hey! We both may be correct about Hammerin' Hank. I wonder if he has an Uncle (family) in the power loop at ESPN?

PaceAdvantage
07-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Sometimes I wonder if that is why PA keeps you around too.That's worthy of a coveted Amen Bruddah! :lol:

Oh wait, I'm probably not allowed to give those out...something about copyright restrictions...my bad... :D

Producer
07-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Come on guys, Hanks specialty is football. Always has, always will. He is damn good at picking football games and also at analyzing them. That is his main job at ESPN. The horse racing gig is just something extra on the side.

Bruddah
07-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Come on guys, Hanks specialty is football. Always has, always will. He is damn good at picking football games and also at analyzing them. That is his main job at ESPN. The horse racing gig is just something extra on the side.

What? He can't make enough income picking football winners? They need to fill out his paycheck with the Horse Racing gig? They do a big disservice to the Horse Racing fan. (newbies and veterans)

I refer back to my original statement that he is someone's idiot nephew (relative) in the ESPN power circle.

Here is an original thought, why not have Randy Moss breakdown football? According to your thinking it seems to be the way to go at ESPN. :ThmbUp:

Bruddah
07-12-2011, 10:56 AM
That's worthy of a coveted Amen Bruddah! :lol:

Oh wait, I'm probably not allowed to give those out...something about copyright restrictions...my bad... :D

Well, seeing how it's you, I will allow you (only you) up to 10 usages annually, without seeking legal remedies. :D

Use your 10 wishes wisely.

BobD
07-12-2011, 11:02 AM
BTW, Randy Moss has been used as a football analyst on ESPN.

castaway01
07-12-2011, 11:27 AM
What? He can't make enough income picking football winners? They need to fill out his paycheck with the Horse Racing gig? They do a big disservice to the Horse Racing fan. (newbies and veterans)

I refer back to my original statement that he is someone's idiot nephew (relative) in the ESPN power circle.

Here is an original thought, why not have Randy Moss breakdown football? According to your thinking it seems to be the way to go at ESPN. :ThmbUp:

Since Hank is in his 70s, I assume the "uncle" thing is a figure of speech.

Hank was play-by-play announcer for the Dolphins for 15 years before coming to ESPN nearly 20 years ago. Yeah, he's sort of a clown sometimes, but I guess he's there to fill the "Jimmy the Greek" role.

Bruddah
07-12-2011, 11:30 AM
BTW, Randy Moss has been used as a football analyst on ESPN.

My point exactly! And it was not received favourably by the average football fan.

I love Randy as a Horse Racing analyst. There are none better in the Sport. (MHO) But, a football analyst he is not.

JustRalph
07-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Hank was play-by-play announcer for the Dolphins for 15 years before coming to ESPN nearly 20 years ago.

No shit? I didn't know that. Was he any good?

affirmedny
07-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Since Hank is in his 70s, I assume the "uncle" thing is a figure of speech.

Hank was play-by-play announcer for the Dolphins for 15 years before coming to ESPN nearly 20 years ago. Yeah, he's sort of a clown sometimes, but I guess he's there to fill the "Jimmy the Greek" role.

He also had a sportsradio show way before they became popular like they are today. He used to do the show live from Calder quite often as I recall. I like him and don't mind him on the broadcasts although he's not as good with the small role he plays on the racing broadcasts as he was on his own show.

PaceAdvantage
07-12-2011, 10:54 PM
He's 71 (according to Wiki, he was born on the Fourth of July 1940)!!

Damn...didn't realize he's been around that long...he actually looks younger...

RJason
07-13-2011, 01:47 AM
Think about it this way - normally, like last Sat, he is given all day long to prepare to give out a pick/discuss ONE RACE....that is as easy as it gets. All day to prep for 90 seconds or so on a topic he should know inside and out.

However, given that insanely simple assignment, he ALWAYS manages to screw up a name, a number and/or mumble and stumble his way through his 90 seconds or so. Always. In addition, he almost never gives any insight into a race, relying on simple tropes and far more often than not picking the favorite.

His shtick is painful to watch and frankly, given the insane simplicity of the assignment and the large # of individuals who would do it much better, unforgivable. The man is a profound embarrassment to the game and the only good news is that I'm pretty sure he's done for the year......

BlueShoe
08-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Hey, Hank is starting to click, he had the Haskell exacta.:ThmbUp: Boxed the two favorites, but went heavier on Coil over Shack, which turned out to be the right thing to do. :cool: $2 1-5 exacta paid $31.40. Perhaps he is rounding into form, and better days are ahead? :)

Badactor
08-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Caught a nice shot of Mr. Goldberg @ the 2009 Breeders' Cup.
Thought I'd share it here... :)
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n291/UpInClass/Breeders%20Cup/100_0466.jpg

Grits
08-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Think about it this way - normally, like last Sat, he is given all day long to prepare to give out a pick/discuss ONE RACE....that is as easy as it gets. All day to prep for 90 seconds or so on a topic he should know inside and out.

However, given that insanely simple assignment, he ALWAYS manages to screw up a name, a number and/or mumble and stumble his way through his 90 seconds or so. Always. In addition, he almost never gives any insight into a race, relying on simple tropes and far more often than not picking the favorite.

His shtick is painful to watch and frankly, given the insane simplicity of the assignment and the large # of individuals who would do it much better, unforgivable. The man is a profound embarrassment to the game and the only good news is that I'm pretty sure he's done for the year......

No, I don't think so. I'd rather not. Given your profound lack of understanding of live TV broadcasts. These are designed, not only for horseplayers, but for the viewing public which includes fans of the sport, as well as those who are not--though they may become one watching a particular sporting event. Keep in mind, TV viewership is about ratings and revenue. All angles of the race/event are part of the ENTERTAINMENT--I believe this is the key word you somehow missed.

However, Goldberg and his ALWAYS incoherent, babbling shtick had the insanely simple exacta 50 times . . . . . . and you had it how many?

Glad you're, what was it, pretty sure about his being done for the year, ie--termination of employment by ESPN?

A wealth of knowlege in this, or any sport, is such a fine gift.

PhantomOnTour
08-01-2011, 11:42 AM
No, I don't think so. I'd rather not. Given your profound lack of understanding of live TV broadcasts. These are designed, not only for horseplayers, but for the viewing public which includes fans of the sport, as well as those who are not--though they may become one watching a particular sporting event. Keep in mind, TV viewership is about ratings and revenue. All angles of the race/event are part of the ENTERTAINMENT--I believe this is the key word you somehow missed.

However, Goldberg and his ALWAYS incoherent, babbling shtick had the insanely simply exacta 50 times . . . . . . and you had it how many?

Glad you're, what was it, pretty sure about his being done for the year, ie--termination of employment by ESPN?

A wealth of knowlege in this, or any sport, is such a fine gift.
Whether you are a diehard fan or new viewer you deserve a coherent fluid commentary, and Hank ain't deliverin' that.
How does his delivery and lack of picking winners translate to high ratings and revenue?
My opinion of Hank is that he is, well, past his prime and not an asset to the program.

Grits
08-01-2011, 12:23 PM
I've given it more thought, POT.

Why don't we just shoot him.:lol:

PhantomOnTour
08-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Let's just put him out to pasture...
Ya know, send him to Old Friends or someplace similar :D

feelup1963
08-01-2011, 12:52 PM
ex- jockeys jerry bailey & gary stevens who i think are hall of famers ,they are not better

bigchump
08-01-2011, 01:58 PM
ex- jockeys jerry bailey & gary stevens who i think are hall of famers ,they are not better

I think it was Eddie Arcaro who said "I'd love to be a bookie in the jockey's room".