PDA

View Full Version : South African races - place payoffs

trying2win
11-11-2003, 06:23 PM
--I was just scanning the results of the thoroughbred races for Nov. 11/03 at www.racingchannel.com , and I clicked on the results button for the South African races.

--I'm assuming some American betting companies must take bets on these South African races and the strange thing is, there are the usual WIN payoff prices, but there are three PLACE payoffs for each horse! Huh? How does that work?

-- I'm guessing, if you bet a horse to place on South African races, that you will collect if your horse finishes 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. Kind of different. Is this the start of another new trend, to gradually phase out show betting at all tracks in the U.S. and Canada as well?

--I'm guessing too, in the South African races, that three place payoffs are only offered on races let's say with a minimum of 8 starters or more. There are probably other betting scenarios in short fields, or a race with a prohiibitive favorite entered.

--Anybody know anything more about parimutuel payoffs on South African races?

Thanks,

Trying2win

BillW
11-11-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by trying2win

-- I'm guessing, if you bet a horse to place on South African races, that you will collect if your horse finishes 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. Kind of different. Is this the start of another new trend, to gradually phase out show betting at all tracks in the U.S. and Canada as well?

--I'm guessing too, in the South African races, that three place payoffs are only offered on races let's say with a minimum of 8 starters or more. There are probably other betting scenarios in short fields, or a race with a prohiibitive favorite entered.

-Trying2win
T2w,

I think both the seperate place odds and place being 2nd and 3rd is the "British way" and not necessarily new.

Bill