PDA

View Full Version : Reds/Cards series

melman
07-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Whenever good teams meet it's fun to watch. However these games between the Reds and Cards have been extra fun. I don't think they like each
other very much. :) I think Brandon Phillips has a way of getting under the Cards skin. Starts tonight, first pitch 6:15.

Note to JR--I think the Reds are going to have a great second half. Cueto has comeback with big performances and Leake seems to have gotten his head together. Homer Bailey looked good coming back also. If he stays healthy that's a big plus. The Reds have a very good closer and I look for the hitting to get even better. There my pick in the NL Central to be on top when all is said and done. I see that Mr Chapman is back also. Two k's in the one inning he pitched yesterday.

Overlay
07-04-2011, 10:35 AM
The Reds-Cards rivalry under the current divisional set-up reminds me of the way it used to be between the Reds and the Dodgers in the old six-team NL Western Division back in the days of the Big Red Machine of the 1970's (when I was living in Cincinnati). (For example, I remember sportswriter Jim Murray of Los Angeles commenting about how, when someone called Sparky Anderson a troglodyte, Sparky responded that he thought a man's religion should be his own business.)

JustRalph
07-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Love Brandon. I hope you are right about the hitting coming alive.

I miss the west coast road trips back in the day. My dad used to make me turn off the radio in my room while I listened to Dodgers Reds late into the night. I was estatic when a buddy of mine gave me an old transistor radio with a pillow speaker that fit under the pillow and you listened right through the pillow. My dad never caught on.

I recall a visceral hatred for Davy Lopes and Steve Garvey. I recall cussing whenever Lopes made it to first base. I hated the fact that whenever Johnny Bench was out hurt Lopes had a free stolen base for the picking. I think I remember Al Michaels doing the games on the west coast. Then of course Marty Brenneman later. They are very fond memories.......

Overlay
07-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Love Brandon. I hope you are right about the hitting coming alive.

I miss the west coast road trips back in the day. My dad used to make me turn off the radio in my room while I listened to Dodgers Reds late into the night. I was estatic when a buddy of mine gave me an old transistor radio with a pillow speaker that fit under the pillow and you listened right through the pillow. My dad never caught on.

I recall a visceral hatred for Davy Lopes and Steve Garvey. I recall cussing whenever Lopes made it to first base. I hated the fact that whenever Johnny Bench was out hurt Lopes had a free stolen base for the picking. I think I remember Al Michaels doing the games on the west coast. Then of course Marty Brenneman later. They are very fond memories.......

Your post brought the following Lionel Cartwright tune to mind:

yV5OFBPSQVU

rastajenk
07-04-2011, 08:42 PM
A gen-u-ine pitchers' duel in the lidlifter.

ldiatone
07-05-2011, 09:18 AM
and what team is ONLY 1 1/2 gms outa first, and both teams play them after AS break? :jump:

falconridge
07-05-2011, 02:32 PM
and what team is ONLY 1 1/2 gms outa first, and both teams play them after AS break? :jump:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cd/NLC-PIT-Logo.png
Hosting the 'Stros and Cubs over the next six days as the Reds, Brewers, and Cards play each other (Cincinnati taking on St. Louis today and tomorrow at the new Busch, then moving on to Milwaukee to spend the weekend at Bernie's), the Buccos could well be looking down on the lot of them by the time we reach the All-Snore Break [:sleeping:].

ldiatone, if Pirates play-by-play guy Greg Brown hasn't hoisted the Jolly Roger by then, you can scratch my back with a hacksaw!

--Mike Lange
Co-star (with Jean-Claude Van Damme) of the one-star action epic, Sudden Death (1995) [insert tightened-nostrils emoticon here]

Beachbabe
07-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Back-to-back homers for the Cards in the first off Volquez puts the Reds in a hole already.

:mad:

Beachbabe
07-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Another homer....a bigger hole.

5 - 1 Cards after 5.

duncan04
07-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Jocketty, Baker and the rest of the Reds coaching staff had a meeting after the game. Wonder if there will be some changes??

ldiatone
07-06-2011, 05:37 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cd/NLC-PIT-Logo.png
Hosting the 'Stros and Cubs over the next six days as the Reds, Brewers, and Cards play each other (Cincinnati taking on St. Louis today and tomorrow at the new Busch, then moving on to Milwaukee to spend the weekend at Bernie's), the Buccos could well be looking down on the lot of them by the time we reach the All-Snore Break [:sleeping:].

ldiatone, if Pirates play-by-play guy Greg Brown hasn't hoisted the Jolly Roger by then, you can scratch my back with a hacksaw!

--Mike Lange
Co-star (with Jean-Claude Van Damme) of the one-star action epic, Sudden Death (1995) [insert tightened-nostrils emoticon here]

THANKS, "GREAT BALLS OF FIRE.....YOU'D HAVE TO BE HERE TO BELIEVE IT"