PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration from motivational speakers

trying2win
11-10-2003, 04:49 AM
--We've all seen or heard them on TV programs, late night infomercials, on cassette or video tapes, or on websites etc. Yes, the modern day motivational speakers are there to inspire us to become more successful in our finances, our careers, in our spirtuality, and in our relationships with other people. They like to remind us to recognize our natural talents and think about the things we really like to do...They tell us to following our natural desires in a career or hobby, and ignore what other people think what we "should" or "ought to" do with our lives. They encourage us to have persistence, faith, courage, civility, and many other noble attributes.

--I would say the top five motivational speakers that I've really enjoyed listening to, and learned from over the years are: Bob Proctor, Tony Robbins, Robert H. Schuller, Earl Nightingale, and Jim Rohn.

--Gosh, there are many more motivational speakers from the past and present. PA members may also have watched or listened to some of the following people and enjoyed their recordings: Brian Tracy, Les Brown, Robert Kiyosaki, Denis Waitley, Keith Harrell, Norman Vincent Peale, Charles Givens, Barbara DeAngelis, John Gray, Steven Covey, Jeff Keller, Wayne Dyer etc.

--I find that listening to some of these motivational speakers, even helps me to get more motivation, encouragement and enjoyment out of playing the horse races.

--Anybody else a fan of listening to motivational speakers at times?

Trying2win

so.cal.fan
11-10-2003, 09:39 AM
Yes!
Deepok Chopra
Stuart Wilde
Marianne Williamson
Brian Tracy
Wayne Dyer

When I get a bit down, I always listen to my CD's of these and others and it really helps pump me back up.
Good for the soul!

Dave Schwartz
11-10-2003, 11:41 AM
The problem with motivational speakers is that it wears off.

That being said, I find that much of Anthony Robbins' work goes far beyond motivational and crosses into the area of "educational."

BTW, eBay is the place to buy that stuff.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

trying2win
11-10-2003, 02:30 PM
SO. CAL. FAN.

--That's great to see you can be inspired by listening to some of your favorite motivational speakers. Maybe they've helped you somewhat, to become of the positive "treasures" of Sierra Madre to your spouse and the rest of your family and friends.

DAVE,

--I know what you mean when you infer that the inspiration you receive listening to motivational speakers wears off. I agree with you, that listening to the majority of motivational speakers, that that is what happens to me. However, whenever I have listened to my top five favorite motivational speakers listed in my first post on this topic, I must say that their speeches have had a more lasting positive effect on me.

Thanks,

Trying2win

doophus
11-10-2003, 03:23 PM
The "kid" who won (2) gold medals in the Olympics but participated in (3) as vaulter and the third as a decathlete also. He was the 1st to win back-to-back Golds in the pole vault, and he may still be the only back-to-backer.

Later, he became a Reverand who even later pulled Jessie Owens up from his despair.

I've heard him live on (4) occasions and I still consider him the BEST I have ever heard. I bought some old 8 track tapes at one time, but they have long-ago disappeared.

With the declarative authority vested with me by Amazin', I pronounce the REV BOB RICHARDS...the BEST of the BEST!!

George

Lefty
11-10-2003, 07:34 PM
Maybe there's something wrong with me(lotssa people think so)But whenever I go see a motivational speaker( and i've seen a few when I was in sales and later when I was involved in real estate in a small way,) I just get a feeling of anger.
I can't explain it, it's just the way these people affect me.

DJofSD
11-10-2003, 08:26 PM
Try Tom Stanley's "The Millionaire Next Door" and "The Millionaire's Mind".

Laura Day's books about intuition.

Hoff's "The Tao of Pooh".

Goleman's "Emotional Intellegence".

DJofSD

Tom
11-10-2003, 09:31 PM
That was the best thing about going to Doc Sartin's seminars-the emotinal "recharge."

BTW.....

Deepok Chopra...isn't he a rapper?
"The Tao of Pooh"......Winnie?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DJofSD
11-11-2003, 01:58 AM
Yes, as in Winnie.

There's a follow on to it, "The Te of Piglet."

DJofSD

so.cal.fan
11-11-2003, 11:02 AM
Lefty writes:
"I just get a feeling of anger.
I can't explain it, it's just the way these people affect me".

This is not surprising, Lefty......you are TOO CONSERVATIVE!

Next time you have a chance to listen to someone, say Chopra or Dyer ( they are on PBS sometimes), try to just suspend your disbelief.......say to yourself......."wouldn't I rather be happy than "right" all the time"!

You may just find yourself.....SMILING MORE OFTEN!!!!!!!:) :) :)

Lefty
11-11-2003, 01:22 PM
I've listened to Chopra and my thinking this guy is just about the biggest FRAUD out there. I never heard so much dbltalk, except maybe from liberals.
Can one be too conservative? Nah.

trying2win
11-11-2003, 05:55 PM
--Anyone too conservative? Go to www.dictionary.com and stick the word FOGEY in the search function, and click the "LOOK IT UP" button....then scroll down the page and look up a few definitions of this word.

--Am I a FOGEY? ...in some areas of life... yes. In all areas of life?...no.

--Am I an OLD FOGEY?...no...I'm only in the nifty fifties.

Trying2win

Lefty
11-11-2003, 08:54 PM
No I am not a fogey. That you equate covservatism with being a fogey is interesting. Conservatives want what's best for everyone and don't need the govt or some snakeoil salesmen telling them what should make them happy.

sq764
11-11-2003, 10:36 PM
At my college (my senior year in 1997), Colon Powell came to speak. He was quite interesting..

That was before he got full of himself and became a pompous ass. His public feuds with Ashcroft have put me off to both of them..