PDA

View Full Version : What's Cooking?

Tom
07-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Three day weekend, anyone cooking out?

BBQ chicken and ribs Sunday, homemade salads....mm mmm mmmm!

Tonight, hots and burgers, beer.

Got my laptop full of races and the umbrella over the patio.......going to rough it (:D) outside this weekend. Work out for Toga.

ElKabong
07-02-2011, 11:38 AM
yardwork done, rest of the weekend is for LS races live, and Ranger baseball(teevee). A quick trip to work Sunday to draft an RFP, then to a friends house for brats (and burgers, i think) sun afternoon

Burgers on the grill Monday @ noon at home. Life's good in early July, ain't it!

DJofSD
07-02-2011, 12:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCbw0BLS4m0

Zydeco
07-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Going to the Nationals doubleheader today. Tickets were 2 dollars for 2 games. Have 2 for 1 coupons for beer and dogs. Tomorrow having BBQ ribs in the smoker and bauenwurst on the grill with baked beans , cole slaw and potato salad. Beer is already iced down.

kingfin66
07-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Watching UFC 132 tonight.

Sunday, Emerald Downs for some live racing and awesome fireworks spectacle.

Monday, off to spend Independence Day with family.

Tuesday, rest (taking day off work).

Some yard work and chores mixed in....lots of food as well. We're still trying to decide what to make for the potluck on the 4th, but I'm definitely thinking homemade fried chicken tonight.

This recipe is INCREDIBLE!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/fried-chicken-recipe6/index.html

Tom
07-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Since it is also Canada's birthday this weekend, I bought a bottle of Canadian Club. Let the sipping begin!

woodtoo
07-02-2011, 03:51 PM
That recipe looks good,but how do you bruise a garlic?

ldiatone
07-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Going to the Nationals doubleheader today. Tickets were 2 dollars for 2 games. Have 2 for 1 coupons for beer and dogs. Tomorrow having BBQ ribs in the smoker and bauenwurst on the grill with baked beans , cole slaw and potato salad. Beer is already iced down.
BEAT EM BUCS!

ldiatone
07-02-2011, 04:24 PM
well, thats when us cooks are "bad" when we beat the eggs and bruise the garlic :rolleyes:

bigmack
07-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Goin ' over to play guitar for a woman's wedding. The vittles should be legendary. Catered affair. I plan on eating no shortage of shell fish.

God Bless the Broken Heart by Rascal Flatts. Her nephew is singin'. If he's as flat as he was at the end practicing last night some hairs may curl.

JustRalph
07-02-2011, 06:44 PM
working twelve hour shifts...yesterday and today..... eating out of my lunch box.......

The neighbor is putting on a huge gala tomorrow. I will be available to attend after an 8 hour day. Lots of boats anchored out back. More boats will show up tomorrow and the pier will be busy unloading guests. Maryland 4th of July. The barbecue will be smoking a whole pig. It should be fun.

benzer
07-02-2011, 10:49 PM
I've recently ground some chuck roast and turned it in to quarter pounder burgers ready for the grill.

Everyone enjoy the holiday and stay safe and win some race wagers.

toetoe
07-03-2011, 02:43 AM
Goin ' over to play guitar for a woman's wedding. The vittles should be legendary. Catered affair. I plan on eating no shortage of shell fish.

God Bless the Broken Heart by Rascal Flatts. Her nephew is singin'. If he's as flat as he was at the end practicing last night some hairs may curl.

Are we talkin' Jessica Pacheco flat ... or Kelly Ripa flat ? I imagined a wardrobe malfunction involving Miss Ripa when they came down the stretch at Belmont today ... Flat Out.

That's all I got. Now to repair to Thoracic Park for a game of chest.

DJofSD
07-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Break the clove into individual pieces. Remove the outer papery skin so you have just the meat. Rub between the hands, firmly. Or, if you don't like the smell on your hands, place on a flat surface (cutting board) then with the flat part of a knife or some other tool, give it a good thwacking. Don't use the knife as a hammer but instead rest it on the top of the clove then with the other hand, thump it.

You want to expose the inner goodness of the fruit by releasing the juices but not mince it. Afterwards, the pieces can be removed from the dish.

JustRalph
07-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Mack, that song is no gimmy. if you can play that one,,,,,,, good on ya!:ThmbUp:

PhantomOnTour
07-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Crawfish and andouille stuffed pork chops.
That's right, spicy pork sausage stuffed into a pork chop...i may just wrap 'em in bacon if i so please...it's AMERICA baby!
Hot dogs for the young 'uns...gotta have hot dogs...is that pork, too?
Nobody really knows....
Someone is bringing boudin (boo-dan), but i ain't going near it (more pork). It's pig intestine stuffed with whatever...no thanks. At least it's not what's normally in a pig's intestine :)

The ladies will crank out some nice come-alongs (hors d'ouvres is so darned French and this is the 4th of July, so they're called come-alongs this wknd).

I usually drink wine or Heineken, but this wknd i'm drinking some good ole' American Miller High Life darnit. Ain't the finest brew but slides down very easy and it just looks right in my hand while standing next to the pit.

Today is strictly for horse playing though...too bad the Bel card isn't too good.
Have a happy 4th y'all.

canleakid
07-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Got pig in the ground, beer on ice and some rowdy friends (putting a hurting on the Pabst Blue Ribbon :eek: ) plus a bunch of slaw (need them veggies ;) ) peach cobbler with home made ice cream :cool:

Tomorrow Nathan hotdogs and burgers!!! fix your own !!!!!!! :)

newtothegame
07-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Starters...grilled jalepenos stuffed with cream cheese and shrimp.......

Hot dogs, hamburgers, ..........

brats, chicken breast, ...........

Shiskabobs...with red, green, orange, yellow peppers, onions...mushrooms..marinated sirloin and chicken.......

Potato salad

Plenty of HOT sun, and a cool pool....(sure to be sun burns after today)....

family...and pictures......

Life is good...!!

Tom
07-03-2011, 04:56 PM
That's right, spicy pork sausage stuffed into a pork chop...i may just wrap 'em in bacon if i so please...
:p:p:p mmm mm mmmmmmmm!

kingfin66
07-03-2011, 05:34 PM

Bruise really means crush. What I do - actually I pretty much always do this when workng with garlic - is crush with a spoon prior to peeling. It makes peeling it very easy and releases the oils in the garlic. That is what you are trying to accomplish when putting the garlic into the buttermilk marinade.

Shemp Howard
07-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Same as it ever was.

Hot dogs, baked beans, corn on the cob.

Strawberry shortcakes for desert.

Old Overholt rye whisky and Rolling Rock ponie bottle beer chasers all day.

Fireworks at dusk.

DJofSD
07-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Watching UFC 132 tonight.

Sunday, Emerald Downs for some live racing and awesome fireworks spectacle.

Monday, off to spend Independence Day with family.

Tuesday, rest (taking day off work).

Some yard work and chores mixed in....lots of food as well. We're still trying to decide what to make for the potluck on the 4th, but I'm definitely thinking homemade fried chicken tonight.

This recipe is INCREDIBLE!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/fried-chicken-recipe6/index.html

OK. Stopped at the store on the way home for buttermilk and a larger bottle of Tabasco. The pieces of chicky is soakin' up all that peppery, garlicy, dairy goodness. I don't think I've ever made a recipe with buttermilk before.

Happy and a safe 4th to all!

BAM!

Tom
07-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Between the BBQ chicken and ribs and the homemade fireworks, it was quite an evening! A litte cook out rule of thumb for everyone, always throw a little extra on the grill, as you never know when unexpected guests will show up!

PaceAdvantage
07-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Between the BBQ chicken and ribs and the homemade fireworks, it was quite an evening! A litte cook out rule of thumb for everyone, always throw a little extra on the grill, as you never know when unexpected guests will show up!I'm afraid to ask...

Tom
07-04-2011, 09:29 PM
I put the chicken thighs on the grill, fat side down, and went back inside to get the sauce. When I cam back out, the flames had to be 10 feet coming out of the grill! Thank God for the hose! I did have several of the neighbor's guests come running over from their party next door. Most of them were local fireman.

All in all, not a boring evening!
But is did take a chunk out my ICE stash.:p

ldiatone
07-05-2011, 09:08 AM
I put the chicken thighs on the grill, fat side down, and went back inside to get the sauce. When I cam back out, the flames had to be 10 feet coming out of the grill! Thank God for the hose! I did have several of the neighbor's guests come running over from their party next door. Most of them were local fireman.

All in all, not a boring evening!
But is did take a chunk out my ICE stash.:p
:lol: :lol: just remember tom....and old saying in cooking 'when there brown there done...when there black YOUR done"
next time let the fire from the lighter fluid burn out before you start cooking :rolleyes:

ldiatone
07-05-2011, 09:13 AM
speaking of garlic... i'll peel the cloves and then poach the garlic in a smalll amount of HOH...then chop or crush it so it mellows the garlic out a bit. great when making a "raw" kind of a dish like bruschetta.