PDA

View Full Version : Fool Me Once, Shame on Me; Fool Me Twice...

chrisg
11-09-2003, 07:26 PM
Would it be a reasonable assumption that the term "America's Turf Authority" is just copyrighted fiction such as "Fair and Balanced"?

Oh I know, maybe I could post my many grievances with the drf here just so Marc@the drf can tell me to email him to make it right...EVEN THOUGH EVERYONE ELSE THAT BUYS THE DRF THAT DOESN'T VISIT THIS PAGE IS ALREADY SCREWED BECAUSE THEY'RE USING A PRODUCT THAT ISN'T ACCURATE OR COMPLETE.

Don't bother responding Marc, I already know the drf doesn't respond to emails; nor do they offer a discount on an incomplete product; nor do they care if thousands lose money betting with false information.

Tom
11-09-2003, 09:17 PM
Try sending them in Italian - I think that is where thier customer service is located.

;)

John
11-10-2003, 02:57 PM
Chrisg

Get a hold of Suffren, He and I were at Suffolk Downs and Steve Crist was there selling his books. SUff, had a ling talk with Crist about your subject. Suff, may have posted thier conversation.

John

Suff
11-10-2003, 06:01 PM
DRF's ok. Fact is ..for me. when they really disappointed me by not informing me of Missing running lines.. I was Justifiably upset.

I shopped around and I used a few different tools. I can't live without formulator. for me..its the best fit.. bar none.

If I piss them off where they actually tell me to screw instead of suggesting I screw..I'm in a bad spot. Right now I'm making a Little Money. If I had to start over and spend 3 months mastering another program.. It would probabaly cost me $3000.00 in learning curve and missed opportunities.

I'm in a Mental Truce with DRF. They're not all that..but Formulator is awesome. imho.

Plus.. I truthfully did take a Liking to Steve Crist when I met him and talked briefly with him... I do believe that his wish is to produce a superior Newspaper. And I take him at his word and I'm going from there.

These errors aer HUGE errors to me.. because I'm a Surgeon..and I HAVE TO BELIEVE the information I am looking at is accurate...
when the mistakes and errors start to add up...its very Frustrating...

There is a BUTTON on my betting Interface.. its the "submit" button. Once I hit it.. I own the bet. And I'm not betting Money my Grandmother left me. I'm betting real money I worked for..or successfully won with my experience and hard work.

Its hard to feel good when you find out later.. I bet that Money with inaccurate or incomplete information.

No mistake is to small... No typo is insignificant, No data is inconsequential when your betting real money.

as long as they know that and are attempting to be perfect everyday.. I can work with them.

Tom
11-10-2003, 09:55 PM
My problem with DRF is that they are selling information.
WQe have clear evidence some of it is incorrect.
DRF either knows it and keeps quiet or they don't know it. But how can I have confidence in any of the information?
Their data presentation process is not in control.
Their corrective action appears to be late at best.
Crist impresses me not in the least. Whatever ground he broke with the Racing Times has been harrowed over by his mis-managment of the Form.

takeout
11-11-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Tom

Whatever ground he broke with the Racing Times has been harrowed over by his mis-managment of the Form.
I agree.

Hosshead
11-11-2003, 05:58 AM
Several years ago (I was told this by a writer for DRF), Crist sent an "in house memo" to all writers in the DRF, telling them that from now on, they must never refer to a workout, or give the time of a workout (and probably races too), in 5th's of a second. They must always use 100th's of a second.

Marc At DRF
11-11-2003, 11:54 AM
What the heck, I'll give it a shot with Chrisg.

Chris, despite my offer to help reasonable types here if they have any problem with DRF or DRF.com, rest assured that offer is not only limited to here. I've offered it at other lists, I've offered via our customer newsletter that goes out every month, etc. So it's not like the guys here are the only people I've offered to help out or clarify things for.

Mainly, my point is if you have a problem that is more subtle and sophisticated, I'm probably the guy to talk to. And yes, if you've been screwed, I'm happy to offer make-goods. We take false information pretty seriously because our business will fail if we develop a reputation for that. The process of changing databases hasn't been pretty, but the end result is a product that is already cleaner than it was, and it will only continue to get better.

Please e-mail me privately if you want to discuss the specifics of your problem. About 98% of the time I'm sympathetic.

takeout
11-11-2003, 12:19 PM
Hosshead,

That's interesting because they still use fifths in their print product. Guess he didn't send the memo to the folks at the print shop. :D

Marc,

Does "changing databases" mean that DRF is finally somehow getting on the same page with Equibase?

Marc At DRF
11-11-2003, 12:20 PM
>Does "changing databases" mean that DRF is finally somehow getting on the same page with Equibase?

Yes.

takeout
11-11-2003, 12:48 PM
That will be good news for DRF customers, and they only had to wait about a dozen years. :D

Now, if Joe DeFrancis would just get out of the track-owning business, it may yet be possible to entice the planets back in to their proper alignment!

Hosshead
11-11-2003, 05:15 PM
takeout, I read where Crist said that he wanted to take the 5th's out of the print product, but not do it "for now", because of too many objections. Did you ever see the movie "Fahrenheit 451 "?

takeout
11-11-2003, 06:25 PM
Hosshead,

Where did you read that, in his latest book?

No, I haven't seen that movie but now you've got me curious.

Tom
11-11-2003, 06:59 PM
I prefer times in tenths, only because the math is easier to do in your head. I see no value at all in 100's.

Farhenheit 451....good movie. When I become a book, I want it to be a joke book.