PDA

View Full Version : Lou Raffetto talks Takeout, California Racing, and the Triangle. Is he right?

andymays
06-30-2011, 11:27 AM
http://www.paulickreport.com/features/the-breeders-cup-forum/the-breeders-cup-forum-raffetto-the-biggest-problem-has-been-field-size/

Excerpt:

Q: You have long been a proponent of lower takeout and now join an organization that backed one that set off a firestorm. How will that play out? Will you push to rescind the takeout increase?

(http://www.paulickreport.com/features/the-breeders-cup-forum/the-breeders-cup-forum-raffetto-the-biggest-problem-has-been-field-size/)

andymays
06-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Lou said: As Ron Ellis pointed out in a meeting the other day, this is a triangle. The players have legitimate concerns, but they have to take into consideration the other sides of the triangle. Without the owners, we have no racing. Without the players we can’t race. The third side is the racetracks.
-----------------------------------

The Players have to take into consideration the other parts of the triangle? Are you kidding me Lou? When did the other parts of the triangle ever consider the Players? Think about it Lou!

Tom
06-30-2011, 11:34 AM
Without the owners, we have no racing. Without the players we can’t race. The third side is the racetracks.

Without the CUSTOMERS -- let's start calling us what we are - the CUSTOMERS - there is no need for either of the other two. Without either of the other two, we will all find other venues to participate in. Many of us already have.

I am tired of hearing about the problems of tracks and owners. As a customer, I am concerned with the product and the price. Nothing else.
Getting more horse into the field is part of doing business, and if the tracks and horsemen can't do it, the should go out of business. Period.

I don't worry about the dishwasher's health care plans when I go out to dinner. I want a big steak at a low price, and some nice buttered mushroom. I go where they serve it. Those that don't lose my business.

Valuist
06-30-2011, 11:36 AM
There is a great line in the comments section. Ron Ellis makes the statement about the "triangle" and that players have to understand the other two sides (horsemen and track mgmt) to the triangle.

The comment was, "when did the other two sides understand the players?" Great line, and very true.

thaskalos
06-30-2011, 01:28 PM
The difference between horse racing and other "businesses" is that, in ALL the OTHER businesses...the customer is treated as if he/she is the "lifeblood" of the operation.

In horse racing...it is the OWNERS and TRAINERS who are the beneficiaries of the game's graces.

I own a grocery store in a North Chicago suburb...and I treat my PAYING customers ALOT better than I treat the suppliers of the merchandise that I sell.

Stillriledup
06-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Lou said: As Ron Ellis pointed out in a meeting the other day, this is a triangle. The players have legitimate concerns, but they have to take into consideration the other sides of the triangle. Without the owners, we have no racing. Without the players we can’t race. The third side is the racetracks.
-----------------------------------

The Players have to take into consideration the other parts of the triangle? Are you kidding me Lou? When did the other parts of the triangle ever consider the Players? Think about it Lou!

"fans" are worried about their own bottom line. NFL bettors never have to worry that Vegas is going to raise the 'vig" to pay for the football players healthcare.

jelly
06-30-2011, 01:56 PM
People like Ron Ellis never paid much attention(or much respect) to their customers.The reason he even acknowledges the Customer is because the Boycott is working.

Boycott until they rescind the takeout,Spread the word!

Stillriledup
06-30-2011, 02:01 PM
People like Ron Ellis never paid much attention(or much respect) to their customers.The reason he even acknowledges the Customer is because the Boycott is working.

Boycott until they rescind the takeout,Spread the word!

I heard Ellis on Roger Stein a few weeks ago, he didnt seem to 'get' the bettors pov.

Tom
06-30-2011, 02:15 PM
The difference between horse racing and other "businesses" is that, in ALL the OTHER businesses...the customer is treated as if he/she is the "lifeblood" of the operation.

He may not always be right, but he is always the customer.
I have never seen a business that treats its customers anywhere near as shabbily a racing does. Even the best of tracks really suck in the world of customer service. They just seem alright because some many are far worse.

Stillriledup
06-30-2011, 02:22 PM
He may not always be right, but he is always the customer.
I have never seen a business that treats its customers anywhere near as shabbily a racing does. Even the best of tracks really suck in the world of customer service. They just seem alright because some many are far worse.

This is completely true, racing not only doesnt treat their customers well, but they seem to almost go out of their way to treat them poorly.

The verbal taunts to the So Cal fans from people like Mullins, Israel, Brackpool and Hammerle are, to my knowledge, unprecedented in customer service. Large companies in the country don't have their 'higher ups' come out and CALL OUT the customers, it just doesnt happen ...well, except in racing.

Robert Goren
06-30-2011, 02:32 PM
Preaching to choir