PDA

View Full Version : New category suggestion for PA

Amazin
11-09-2003, 11:55 AM
As a horseplayer,the most entertaining and cerebral reading I get is from reading other horseplayer's methods or systems whether they work or not and discussing them like the now famous Karlskorner,doughnut/tractor method or Karls chinese double or Kenwoodalls workout method.

Having a category entitled"Horse Racing Systems" IMO would be an attractive and entertaining feature to this board.

dav4463
11-10-2003, 12:26 AM
I agree. I would visit a horseracing system section every day. I am one who actually enjoys getting the system ads with the outlandish claims. Not only could we present our own systems for others to try, we could take turns buying some of these mail order systems that promise great riches and report results. Expose the frauds and who knows..we might find one with some real possibilities. Either way, it would be fun.

Zaf
11-10-2003, 12:47 AM
I agree. I like to look at angles and systems.

ZAFONIC

trying2win
11-10-2003, 01:59 AM
Amazin,

--Great idea! You may find this hard to believe, but I was thinking of a similar idea like yours just the other day. The big difference is, you put your idea into words on this board. Do you have a mental telepathy talent we don't know about? Do your friends call you Kreskin for a nickname by chance? It's amazing...no let me correct that...it's Amazin!

--That would be a lot of fun having a refreshing new category about systems, angles and methods. I don't think it would matter if these items were on the market in the past or present... or homemade one's by the PA members. Some members with databases might volunteer to do some tests (of course it would be wise to put the small-print at the conclusion of the test, like they do at the investment dealers when they sell you a mutual fund...i.e. something like "ATTENTION: PAST RETURNS DON'T GUARANTEE FUTURE RESULTS...IF YOU WISH TO BET ON THIS METHOD, IT'S AT YOUR OWN RISK"). Who wants a lawsuit against them, right?

--Hmmm, I wonder if the owner of Phillips Racing Newsletter, or Meadow's Racing Monthly would complain that we'd be cutting into their business? Would do you say, Alan or Barry?

--Continuing on with the same phrase...Would do say PA? What do you think of Amazin's idea? How about starting an online poll to gauge what PA members think about the idea of a new category?

Trying2win

kenwoodallpromos
11-10-2003, 02:17 AM
I am always looking at systems to check and angles or factors to incorporate. There are a couple of good websites with a lot of systems but one here would be great!! / Right now i'm trying to come up with a reliable method of predicting current race stamina potential. Maybe a pace number correlated with horse's current condition.

trying2win
11-10-2003, 02:54 AM
--I forgot to mention something in my previous post on this topic.
If Amazin's idea about a new category were implemented, you'd have to consider something else. That thing is, that it would be unethical and unlawful to take copyrighted systems, angles, or methods (whether past or present) and list the rules on this board.

--However, after having said the above, it's certainly within everyone's democratic right to discuss in general terms what they think of a commercial system, angle, or method. Of course with a homemade system, a person can list the rules publicly, and everyone can discuss any part of it.

--But, we must remember too, this is PA's website, so he can do anything he wants with Amazin's idea....i.e. praise it, denounce it, nix it, consider it, or online poll it. If an time-limited, online poll were started, maybe a 67% majority would win the vote, or maybe 51%?...whatever. Over to you, PA.

Trying2win

karlskorner
11-10-2003, 09:55 AM
Blinkers off. Best example, this years Breeders Cup. 90 horses entered in 8 races, 2 have "blinkers off". Adoration (Distaff) wins pays $83.40, the other came in 7th. Watch the horse who comes into the paddock less "blinkers", is he "alive" ?

PaceAdvantage
11-10-2003, 10:38 AM
Yup, the posting of a commerical system would be a no-no. Add to this the difficulty (from my end) in determining if what someone just posted was homegrown or commerical! Someone could say they just came up with this system, when in fact they copied it out of a book or pamphlet or whatever....

With that said, I still am not 100% against the idea....how about some more feedback?

David McKenzie
11-10-2003, 10:42 AM
How about a Vetscratch crossword puzzle?

Eventually we can put all the avatars together and...

Amazin
11-10-2003, 11:54 AM
PA

From your post I sense hesitancy due to liability.Understandable. But you should also realize that you are just as liable without a "horseracing system" category in that anyone can post anything at anytime in any category that may be libelous.

BETKING
11-10-2003, 01:36 PM
Kenwoodallpromos,

How about giveing us the addresses of thoses other good web sites with the systems on them. I would be most interested.
Thanks,

BETKING

PaceAdvantage
11-10-2003, 06:51 PM
Yes, but I would be INVITING the posting of systems with a category named "Systems etc..", thus ENCOURAGING potential copyright infringement and libelous action.

With my current setup, the rules are clear when you sign up, and moderation ensures that things run smoothly (for the most part)

Tom
11-10-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by David McKenzie@HSH
How about a Vetscratch crossword puzzle?

Eventually we can put all the avatars together and...

What was that old game show back in the 60's with Hugh Downs....Concentration?
HeHeHe...VS avatars.....yes.

trying2win
11-10-2003, 11:28 PM
PA,

--Okay, how about a modified systems, angles and methods category, where members can:

1. Ask other members their opinions on commercial systems etc. that are not in the public domain.

2. Members must not list rules of any system etc. on the message
board, whether it's commercial or not.

--Wouldn't these first two rules kind of follow some of the practices of Phillips Racing Newsletter and Meadow's Racing Monthly in how they review systems etc? Maybe some members have some old copies of these publications, and they can see what kind of generalites PRM AND MRM use in reviewing systems.

3. If a member wants to know the rules of another member's (alleged) homemade system, then they can contact them through P.M.'s or e-mails.

--Would some of these proposed ideas above ease any litigation fears?

--Hmmm...I think Barry Meadow, Steve Wolson, Tom Console and Jon Worth are still PA members here. I wonder what they think of these ideas, if they've read the posts on this thread? Maybe even Alan Dietrich scans the posts at this website too, who knows?

--A second Hmmm....If this new systems category was established, can SQ be that far behind in suggesting again, that a harness racing category be instituted as well. I'd vote in favor of that too. Or, since this is supposed to be a thoroughbred racing discussion site, would the thought of establishing a harness racing category be considered blasphemy?

Trying2win

kenwoodallpromos
11-11-2003, 12:58 AM
A thread that tells where to find interesting systems would be nice too! I am no lawyer, but material last copyrighted prior to 1950 is now public domain. Usually anything that carries no copyright or publishing mark is assumed to be public domain. / Actually, anyone who has a copyrighted oe pantented handicapping system who sues for infringment would have to provide proof that the system is succesful or there is no financial damage. If it is that successful, word would get out so fast everyone would steal it after it is presented in court!!

kenwoodallpromos
11-11-2003, 01:06 AM
Just go to Google search engine "horseracing handicapping systrms" and you will find some on some of the websites listed.