PDA

View Full Version : Petty vs Bachman

Valuist
06-28-2011, 10:11 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/tom-petty-reportedly-wants-bachmann-stop-using-american-202756833.html

Excuse me, but wasn't this a lot of free publicity for Tom Petty? Getting awfully full of oneself to pull this nonsense. He better watch out, or his fans might tell him to "Don't come around here no more"

benzer
06-28-2011, 10:45 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/tom-petty-reportedly-wants-bachmann-stop-using-american-202756833.html

Excuse me, but wasn't this a lot of free publicity for Tom Petty? Getting awfully full of oneself to pull this nonsense. He better watch out, or his fans might tell him to "Don't come around here no more"
Petty has a lot of good songs but this is again another case of a (Petty) liberal musician trying to influence politics.

redshift1
06-28-2011, 10:45 PM

really

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/rock-stars/tom-petty-net-worth/

Robert Goren
06-28-2011, 10:51 PM
The first time I heard of this sort of thing was in 1964. Barry Goldwater's campaign had changed the words of "Hello Dolly" to "Hello Barry" . One the writers ( I forget which one) objected because he was a democrat and want the song for LBJ. Goldwater graciously acquiesced and "Hello Lyndon" was used by the democrats.
I can't remember a democrat ever trying to use a republican's song. Maybe republicans are not good enough at writing songs for a Democrat to use one.

bigmack
06-28-2011, 10:53 PM
How many of these awkward uses of proprietary material are expected to happen before someone tied with a campaign gets news?

Oh, you mean we have to get permission & stuff?

Worse campaign song of all time?

Ask ChickieHead: Don't Stop, Believin' - (insert upchuck ani)

toetoe
06-28-2011, 10:56 PM
Look out ... ol' Mackie's back !!!!

benzer
06-28-2011, 10:58 PM
really

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/rock-stars/tom-petty-net-worth/
Ok he is worth 75 million, so we can add him to the list of the rich and famous that are Democrats. Big shock there. I thought only Republicans were the bad rich people. LOL

ElKabong
06-28-2011, 11:01 PM
His career is pretty much done. He knows he won't be DIXIE CHICKED by fans. He's got nothing to lose, just trying to yuck it up with his libby buds.

Robert Goren
06-28-2011, 11:01 PM
really

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/rock-stars/tom-petty-net-worth/ Not even Sarah Palin with all of book tours and speaking fees is worth 75 million yet, but she is working on it.

benzer
06-28-2011, 11:06 PM
Not even Sarah Palin with all of book tours and speaking fees is worth 75 million yet, but she is working on it.
Nothing there to compare. Sarah Palin has only been on the scene a few years, Petty has been around a long time. So your point is what?

Valuist
06-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Not even Sarah Palin with all of book tours and speaking fees is worth 75 million yet, but she is working on it.

Why is it liberals keep bringing up Sarah Palin? I don't think many consider her a serious candidate. But she seems to be the ultimate hot button (no pun intended) for the left.

DJofSD
06-29-2011, 09:52 AM
Why is it liberals keep bringing up Sarah Palin? I don't think many consider her a serious candidate. But she seems to be the ultimate hot button (no pun intended) for the left.
They're envious.

Which would you rather have in your camp, Nancy or Sarah?

woodtoo
06-29-2011, 11:38 AM
I read on another thread that John Lennon was a closet Repub.
Maybe they should use his songs,just Imagine the outrage!!

Robert Goren
06-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Ok he is worth 75 million, so we can add him to the list of the rich and famous that are Democrats. Big shock there. I thought only Republicans were the bad rich people. LOL The key phrase is "bad rich people." All the good rich people are democrats.;)

Robert Goren
06-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Why is it liberals keep bringing up Sarah Palin? I don't think many consider her a serious candidate. But she seems to be the ultimate hot button (no pun intended) for the left.Speaking of Palin, doesn't it seem a little strange that she shows up in Iowa with her movie to steal some of the thunder on Bachmann's announcement big day . Humm!

Sugar Ron
06-29-2011, 12:52 PM
Can't blame Tom

Hell, if I had a hit record, I wouldn't want some amateur con using it either...

bigmack
06-29-2011, 01:36 PM
Can't blame Tom

Hell, if I had a hit record, I wouldn't want some amateur con using it either...
Hey, Sugie, what's a con?

Sugar Ron
06-29-2011, 02:54 PM
Hey, Sugie, what's a con?

A convict, con artist, or conservative

Sometimes all three can be applied to the same politician ... lol

FantasticDan
06-29-2011, 03:11 PM
A Khan?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_moUl7omJJvg/SkTxhviAqKI/AAAAAAAAADc/CDL650vUjPo/s400/wrath-of-Kahn-2.jpg

bigmack
06-29-2011, 03:15 PM
A convict, con artist, or conservative

Sometimes all three can be applied to the same politician ... lol
Wrong again.

Neoconservatism in the United States is a branch of American Conservatism that is most known for its advocacy of using American economic and military power to topple American enemies and promote liberal democracy in other countries.

You know, like BO.

ArlJim78
06-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Wrong again.

Neoconservatism in the United States is a branch of American Conservatism that is most known for its advocacy of using American economic and military power to topple American enemies and promote liberal democracy in other countries.

You know, like BO.
yes but with BO there is a slight twist;

"Neoconservatism in the United States is a branch of American marxism that is most known for its advocacy of using American economic and military power to topple American allies and promote Islamic regimes in other countries."

Sugar Ron
06-29-2011, 04:08 PM
Oh brother

Enough with the nitwits ... let's get back on topic.

A Justin Bieber tune would be much more appropriate for Shelly's (lightweight) campaign... lol

bigmack
06-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Oh brother

A Justin Bieber tune would be much more appropriate for Shelly's (lightweight) campaign... lol
Your mommy lets you listen to Bieber? Way cool.

Hey little fella, what odds do you give BO of winning in '12?

DJofSD
06-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Who is Bieber? I had to look him up. This is what I found: http://www.justinbiebermusic.com/news_d.aspx?nid=9608

NJ Stinks
06-29-2011, 04:54 PM

Is it possible that Petty just can't stand Bachmann's politics and, in fact, can't stand her politics so much he is willing to take action so she can't use his music as a prop?

If so, I'd say he is a standup guy and good for him.

If you cons don't like it, too bad.

riskman
06-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Oh brother

And this would be more than appropriate for BO reelection gig.

The Internationale

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DTbashsKic&feature=related

bigmack
06-29-2011, 05:29 PM
Is it possible that Petty just can't stand Bachmann's politics and, in fact, can't stand her politics so much he is willing to take action so she can't use his music as a prop?

As mentioned, this has been happening for a long time to both parties.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/SoulManSamMooretellsObamatostopusinghissong.png

I'd feel like an idiot if I typed back in '08, If you loons don't like it, too bad. :bang:

NJ Stinks
06-29-2011, 07:33 PM
As mentioned, this has been happening for a long time to both parties.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/SoulManSamMooretellsObamatostopusinghissong.png

I'd feel like an idiot if I typed back in '08, If you loons don't like it, too bad. :bang:

I don't think Sam Moore was "Getting awfully full of oneself to pull this nonsense" either.

bigmack
06-29-2011, 08:42 PM
I don't think Sam Moore was "Getting awfully full of oneself to pull this nonsense" either.
Say wha?

benzer
06-29-2011, 10:38 PM
The key phrase is "bad rich people." All the good rich people are democrats.;)
Another funny post today. Ostrich head in the sand thinking.

benzer
06-29-2011, 10:55 PM

As stated by other posters this has gone on for years. Petty has decided to be petty and go political in his stance on who can use the music, which was intended for everyone.

The last portion of your post says everything we need to know about your position.

Sugar Ron
06-30-2011, 10:19 AM
Your mommy lets you listen to Bieber? Way cool.

Hey little fella, what odds do you give BO of winning in '12?

Are you joking, Big Mac?

Flip Romney looks like the only con with any kind of chance to take down the BO Machine at this point.

And it's hard to imagine that all the 'baggers and other assorted far right-wing lug nuts would rally around a moderate con like Flip.

Not to mention the fact that Eddie Munster has scared the bejesus out of old people ... so a lot of them will think twice before pulling that lever for a con.

Your side has some SERIOUS problems ... but hey, keep on ignoring them...

Robert Goren
06-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Why doesn't she just go find some republican song writer's music to use. There has to be one out there someplace. There is a tread about John Lennon being a closet republican, maybe she could use one his songs.

bigmack
06-30-2011, 11:43 AM
Your side has some SERIOUS problems ... but hey, keep on ignoring them...
You seem confident of the BO Machine. Have you seen poll numbers or are you ignoring them? :lol:

Any generic Rep beats BO now. It will only get worse for your boy come Nov '12. Like I've said before, this will be one of the biggest blowouts since Ron squished Walter.

Robert Goren
06-30-2011, 12:31 PM
You seem confident of the BO Machine. Have you seen poll numbers or are you ignoring them? :lol:

Any generic Rep beats BO now. It will only get worse for your boy come Nov '12. Like I've said before, this will be one of the biggest blowouts since Ron squished Walter.Only a generic republican beats Obama. When you put a name on that republican then Obama beats them all. The more conserative the republican the bigger the margin. The so called "teaparty republicans" get crushed. I would be scared if the republican actual put up somebody that didn't scare the daylights out of most people. I think the chances of that happening to be close to zero.

Robert Goren
06-30-2011, 12:35 PM
one more thing, the people who put their money where their mouth is, the bookies, still have Obama a heavy favorite.

Tom
06-30-2011, 12:41 PM
I heard he was a dick.
Does that change the odds?

NJ Stinks
06-30-2011, 01:40 PM

The last portion of your post says everything we need to know about your position.

Benzer, just to make 100% sure you know just about everything about my position:

I wouldn't vote for a Republican running for dogcatcher let alone any position that may influence public policy.

If most Republicans/conservatives got their way:

No Social Security
No Medicare
No unions
No pension benefits for anyone anywhere except CEO's maybe
Forget pension benefits - no employee benefits at all
Great healthcare for those who can afford it - everyone else is not a "public" concern.
Country-crippling tax breaks for the filthy rich
Rich/poor gap bigger than the Grand Canyon
Social rights/issues like abortion, gay marriage, euthanasia would always be held back by religious beliefs that I don't share/believe.

To all the young folks here who believe voting Republican is your only salvation, I'll say this: I hope you can read PP's better than you can pick a political party.

Benzer, I hope you don't take the above as a personal insult of some kind because it's not. I just don't believe most of what you believe ails this country. And I really don't agree with the many voices here who say it doesn't matter what party is in power. Democrats may not be great by any means but Republicans have been a disaster for most citizens in this country for at least the last 30 years. IMO, of course.

P.S. Apparenty, Petty agrees with me to some degree. :ThmbUp:

Tom
06-30-2011, 02:32 PM
Social rights/issues like abortion, gay marriage, euthanasia would always be held back by religious beliefs that I don't share/believe.

That goes both ways, NJ.
How about this, you want to have an abortion, I leave that between you and your God to iron out, just don't you dare ask me to help pay for it. If you don't like my Manger at Christmas time, you turn your head. You want want to marry the same sex, go ahead, but don't try to force my church to perform the ceremony. You want to support people who don't work, go ahead, do it with your own money, not mine. I'll decide who I contribute to and you decide for yourself.

Let's lift all caps on all taxes and get rid of all loopholes. Everyone pays 10% period. No deduction whatsoever. SS tax on 100% of the income, no matter what that is. I can live with that.

So far, it is the left imposing their social belief on me that I see as the problem.

Robert Goren
06-30-2011, 02:49 PM
Nobody is forcing any church to preform a gay marriage. But some Churches are force other Churches or judges not perform them.

Rookies
06-30-2011, 05:35 PM

Any generic Rep beats BO now. It will only get worse for your boy come Nov '12. Like I've said before, this will be one of the biggest blowouts since Ron squished Walter.

Uhhh... have you or do you just make them up in your basement, Mackie 1-Note ?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/president_obama_vs_republican_candidates.html

As others on the Left have stated, Obama is neck and neck with the 'Generic' Republi-con, but whenever you name ONE, everyone runs for the hills and the Prez takes them to the woodshed.

Keep up those fantasy polls, though... beyond amusing...:lol:

bigmack
06-30-2011, 09:12 PM
Keep up those fantasy polls, though... beyond amusing...:lol:
Dig, Nanook, have you seen approval/disapproval numbers? Polls of BO against a particular name at this point are for fools.

Speaking of which, I would be willing to wager any amount that BO loses in '12. How 'bout you?

benzer
06-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Benzer, just to make 100% sure you know just about everything about my position:

I wouldn't vote for a Republican running for dogcatcher let alone any position that may influence public policy.

If most Republicans/conservatives got their way:

No Social Security
No Medicare
No unions
Great healthcare for those who can afford it - everyone else is not a "public" concern.
Country-crippling tax breaks for the filthy rich
Rich/poor gap bigger than the Grand Canyon

To all the young folks here who believe voting Republican is your only salvation, I'll say this: I hope you can read PP's better than you can pick a political party.

Benzer, I hope you don't take the above as a personal insult of some kind because it's not. I just don't believe most of what you believe ails this country. And I really don't agree with the many voices here who say it doesn't matter what party is in power. Democrats may not be great by any means but Republicans have been a disaster for most citizens in this country for at least the last 30 years. IMO, of course.

P.S. Apparenty, Petty agrees with me to some degree. :ThmbUp:
Nothing personal NJ, it's just that your entire post is wrong. IMO.

No republican that I know of has said:

No Social Security
No Medicare
No unions
Great health care for those who can afford it - everyone else is not a "public" concern.

I'm not going to argue with you, it would do no good. Instead I'll ask a few questions:

On average is our nation better off now than it was under GW?

Is unemployment better now?
Are food prices lower now?
Are gas prices lower now?
Are property values higher now?
Does anyone have better health care now?
Are we involved in new military conflicts?
Is immigration being dealt with in a real time manner?
Is the Government expanding its role in peoples lives?
Is Government spending out of control?

The current administrations answer to the problems facing the nation:
Lets tax and spend more, that will fix everything.

NJ Stinks
07-01-2011, 12:32 AM
That goes both ways, NJ.
How about this, you want to have an abortion, I leave that between you and your God to iron out, just don't you dare ask me to help pay for it. If you don't like my Manger at Christmas time, you turn your head. You want want to marry the same sex, go ahead, but don't try to force my church to perform the ceremony. You want to support people who don't work, go ahead, do it with your own money, not mine. I'll decide who I contribute to and you decide for yourself.

So far, it is the left imposing their social belief on me that I see as the problem.

You raise interesting points above - points that surely merit a response.

Regarding abortion: The way I see it - it is much more complicated than your statement. If most women could obtain a safe abortion privately - great. That's hardly the case. Affluent people will - poor people won't. It's a health issue at it's core for a woman. Going back to the days where a woman will put her life in danger because she cannot afford sanitary conditions and a licensed physician is unacceptable IMO.

Regarding gay marriage and the Manger: Totally agree with you.

Regarding Unemployment Compensation/Welfare: In a perfect world everyone would be self-sufficient. We don't live in a perfect world. Picking and choosing who we help is a luxury we can't afford IMO.

As for your statement "So far, it is the left imposing their social belief on me that I see as the problem":

The left is not trying to make abortion illegal. The left is not trying to make gay marriage illegal. The left does not support laws that prohibit euthanasia.

For the record, per the Free Dictionary website impose means:

1. To establish or apply as compulsory; levy: impose a tax.

2. To apply or make prevail by or as if by authority: impose a peace settlement. See Synonyms at dictate (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dictate).

3. To obtrude or force (oneself, for example) on another or others.

benzer
07-01-2011, 02:04 AM
im·posed; im·pos·ing
1 a : to establish or apply as a charge or penalty <impose a fine> <impose a tax> b : to force somebody to accept or put up with impose one's will on another
2 : to take unfair advantage <impose on a friend's good nature>

Seems like Toms' interpretation of the word is correct.

newtothegame
07-01-2011, 02:12 AM
You raise interesting points above - points that surely merit a response.

Regarding abortion: The way I see it - it is much more complicated than your statement. If most women could obtain a safe abortion privately - great. That's hardly the case. Affluent people will - poor people won't. It's a health issue at it's core for a woman. Going back to the days where a woman will put her life in danger because she cannot afford sanitary conditions and a licensed physician is unacceptable IMO.

NJ, we do NOT live in the forties anymore. I do not see these back room operating tables as you suggest. But, for sake of argument, I will go with ya on this one. Now you bring up an interesting point about "poor".
Let me ask you this...is the correct response to provide these services to the poor without solving the "poor" problem? If you say yes, you are only continuing the problem. Why don't you look at fixing the "poor"?
There are several areas to look at when looking to solve the poor.......
First and foremost I believe we need better education in our public school systems. It has been shown time and time again that public schools, without accountability for teachers, perform less then those with accountability. See where this is going.........??? Or should I rpovide links to stories about NON accountable unions that have underperforming teachers?? Why do you think private schools perform better overall???
So, education has to be a priority.....

Next, would you agree that we have to do something about PROMOTING GROWTH in the private sector?
How does this happen? Well, I would suggest to you (although you wont agree), that the answer is NOT taxing those businesses more. If you want growth, you have to incentive that growth. More taxes does not seem like incentive for me to grow a business.
The answer does NOT lie in more taxes. It has already been shown that if you taxed at 100% it wouldnt get us out from where we are as a country at this point. What do you think will happen as more and more people retire?
Have you seen the recent stories of all that stimulus did almost NOTHING? So neraly a trillion dollars GONE and what did it achieve? You can say well "it averted a worse crisis"....there is no facts to back up that assumption that I can find.
Government has to be cut. So, what programs? I say ALL programs have waste.
Next, the reason that most people (rethugs) and conservatives are against tax increases is because the less money I have due to increase in taxes, the less I spend in the economy. The less money spent in the economy, the less growth you wind up with. Economy shrinks.....people lose jobs, businesses close. It's really not a hard concept. Now you, mosty and other libs will say well "those businesses need to get off of their cash reserves. Let me just ask one simple question...(or maybe two lol)...
1. Why should a company risk more capital (getting off of their reserves) in a shrining economy? There is almost ZERO chance of them recovering that capital in a shrinking economy.
2. Who are we as a people to tell a person who borrowed the money himself, or used his own capital to start a business, what he is entitled to make or keep in profits?
So, libs will tell you to just tax them more....fine and dandy, but as the business attempts to hold onto profits, people and programs get cut. If they do not cut, they will move to more tax friendly areas. You can look at the NLRB vs Boeing if you doubt what I am saying. This move by Boeing is pure and simple about company profits.
Regarding gay marriage and the Manger: Totally agree with you.

Regarding Unemployment Compensation/Welfare: In a perfect world everyone would be self-sufficient. We don't live in a perfect world. Picking and choosing who we help is a luxury we can't afford IMO.

As for your statement "So far, it is the left imposing their social belief on me that I see as the problem":

The left is not trying to make abortion illegal. The left is not trying to make gay marriage illegal. The left does not support laws that prohibit euthanasia.

For the record, per the Free Dictionary website impose means:

1. To establish or apply as compulsory; levy: impose a tax.

2. To apply or make prevail by or as if by authority: impose a peace settlement. See Synonyms at dictate (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dictate).

3. To obtrude or force (oneself, for example) on another or others.

I would go longer but, I do not wish to bore ar be long winded.....
thanks in advance....

PaceAdvantage
07-01-2011, 02:35 AM
I would be scared if the republican actual put up somebody that didn't scare the daylights out of most people. I think the chances of that happening to be close to zero.The only thing that scares the daylights out of most people is four more years of what we have now.

You act as if conservative Republicans have never enjoyed success in the top political spot. In fact, you act as if the country has never turned ever MORE conservative after a particularly large DISASTER of a lib dem. Jimmy Carter is a case in point.

The American people aren't stupid (well, they did elect Obama, so I guess nothing is perfect). All the republicans need to do is nominate a COMPETENT speaker with decent debating skills, and it will be game over, like mack says. Obama will be crushed if he is put up against someone who can neutralize his oratory skills (either that, or take away his teleprompter).

Rookies
07-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Dig, Nanook, have you seen approval/disapproval numbers? Polls of BO against a particular name at this point are for fools.

Speaking of which, I would be willing to wager any amount that BO loses in '12. How 'bout you?

Lookie here. Monsieur gambling, cheechako, (who didn't know people got down on The Masters), wants to go all in on the election.:D Yeah, we'll do something, as I don't see ANY Con weiners yet. But apparently, we can't do something publically here on this site. :confused:

Come to the Spa this year. I like to see the whites of my opponents' eyes before deals are struck.