PDA

View Full Version : Database handicapping and research:

windoor
06-28-2011, 08:47 AM
I am indeed a believer in doing your research before making a wager, and I have been doing just that for more than 40 years. What I find amazing is now I can do in seconds, what used to take me days, if not weeks, and sometimes it could take months to get the answer I was looking for.

I am new to database programs that handicap and allows you to do your research as it applies to horse racing. I have been looking a long time for a program that would allow me to run my home brew factor list to see how well it would do at other tracks. I kept running into the same problems when trying to find one that would suit me. They were all written by handicappers who only included factors “they thought” were important. Some are still quite good, but none would allow me to research my own factor list.

For any of you would like to see how your method of choosing a winner holds up historically and or over time, I highly recommend you get in touch with Harry (Hcap) as he can modify an AllData like Excel program to run queries against a database of your horses at the track(s) you play.

Would you really like to know how well you selection process would do over time? Well, maybe you really don’t want to know. It will open your eyes, and for some of you, that just is not an option. The old shoe is just too comfortable.

He did just that for me and I find it invaluable information. My very first post here was a request for just such a thing. I now know which tracks I can play successfully and which ones I need to avoid or needs to be tweaked. You can also add in some common filters (and some not so common :) ) to see if hit rate or ROI can improve. Good Stuff.

Not really sure what the limitations are, you would have to ask him, but I couldn’t be happier with the results I am getting, and with the added filters at my disposal I can finally get some real answers to my “what if” scenarios, even if I don’t like some of them.

Regards,

Windoor