PDA

View Full Version : How much is a short work commute worth to you?

Zippy Chippy
06-27-2011, 09:20 AM
Which would you rather?

Job A.
Salary 80k
Commute 15 min drive to train, then 90 min ride on train.
Scale 1-10 of how much I like job - 1

Job B.
Salary 47k
Commute 5 min drive
Scale 1-10 of how much I like job - 7

There are other variables but those are main ones. Also the salaries are fictional but they are to scale .

Richie
06-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Job B

You can't put a price on piece of mind and quality of life

Good Luck

senortout
06-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Some people like train rides, maybe reading on the train. if you've nothing else to do.......or if you're deeply committed with family, etc, the time away could be significant. if two income family and job hours don't mesh up nicely anyway, and children no longer a concern, not so big a deal perhaps. Really, it all depends on other factors, last but not least how desperately you need the additional income.

Your decision. And oh, yeah, you liked the second job as to satisfaction ratings.......must be some position at the track!

Zippy Chippy
06-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Job B

You can't put a price on piece of mind and quality of life

Good Luck

Fwiw job A was the last 12 years of my life. I am now at job B and so much happier. It was a tough decision to leave but I'm glad I did. Also job A average employee age probably 55 and job B is about 30.

Richie
06-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Good for you, I been at a job B for 15 years, and never worked OT, always home with the kids, coaching, gardening, cooking, loving life. I have about 10 years left before all the kids could be out of the house and it's me and the wife, back to JOB A!!!!!!!!

TJDave
06-27-2011, 11:55 AM
Why would you need to choose?

I've been self-employed most of my working life and I made it a point to live as close to my work as possible. For the last fifteen years I have worked out of my home. I realize this isn't always possible but if given a choice I'd chose A and use the extra income to move closer to my employment, if necessary.

More money gives you more choices...including where to live.

ArlJim78
06-27-2011, 12:15 PM
i would not want to live 5 minutes from work. personally I need the separation in time and distance from the job, like a barrier that keeps the two worlds apart. it takes me a while to get into and out of the work mindset. 20-30 minutes is about right, it gives me the time to mentally transition and leave the job behind.

Tom
06-27-2011, 12:47 PM
B

I used to have an A job with a B commute. 0.9 mile. I could walk it in less than 15 minutes.

Then Karma caught up with me.