PDA

View Full Version : Best team ever...

cj
11-08-2003, 02:53 PM
Watching OU dismantle Texas A&M 77-0 in the 3d quarter, I can't help but wonder if this is the greatest college team ever. Even though I live 7 miles from campus and my kids will likely go there, I'm no fan. But this is crazy...they've crushed everyone, including "mighty" Texas by 50 and OSU by 40...they could easily score 100 if they wanted to today!

cj
11-08-2003, 05:53 PM
It's a sad day in South Bend when the crowd goes bezerk after eeking out a win over the Naval Academy...wow, how far have they fallen?

Suff
11-08-2003, 06:17 PM
That and the break up of the BIG east ...mean the end of One of my Favorite connections... It still exists..but it has less OOOMP now that ND is in the Dumps...

I used to be proud when I said..

Notre Dame and Boston College. The only two DIVISION ONE Catholic colleges in America.

Now its Just.. some team that used to be...with a Team that Doug Flutie played for once.

btw.. 41 year old... Boston Native Doug Flutie is getting the Starting NOD for San Diego this Sunday. Guys a Gamer.

JustRalph
11-08-2003, 09:34 PM
Suff

Are they still selling Flutie Flakes? that guy never goes away. Old soldier.....will always be a winner.

sq764
11-08-2003, 10:26 PM
I think some of the Nebraska teams of the last 10 years could have been the best ever. They just destroyed teams for fun.

cj
11-08-2003, 11:19 PM
Which ones? None of them beat good teams as bad as OU is doing currently.

sq764
11-08-2003, 11:48 PM
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/colfootball/teams/best.html

See 1995 Nebraska..

cj
11-08-2003, 11:58 PM
Certainly a stong squad...nice list. Too early to call OU the best ever, but if they keep winning like this, they could be put there.

I don't buy the 2001 Miami team being that high. They played a Nebraska team in the championship that lost its previous game to Colorado by like 50. I don't even know that they could have beaten Oregon that year.

kenwoodallpromos
11-09-2003, 12:39 AM
I like big scores in college games! Any chance of Flute vs. Testeverde this year??

Tom
11-09-2003, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by JustRalph
Suff

Are they still selling Flutie Flakes? that guy never goes away. Old soldier.....will always be a winner.

I hope so. I still have a box on my shelf. :confused:

cato
11-09-2003, 04:10 AM
I saw the OU game (today lucky enough to have 50 yardline seats) and it was the most impressive dominanace of a college football team that I've ever seen. Having been an OU fan I've seen at least most of their televised games since the 60s and this team appears to be the best ever.

The score was 77-0 at the end of the 3rd quarter and they could have easily scored 100 + points if the coaches had not stopped trying in the 4th quarter. And this is against a serious major college football program--and a team tha beat OU last year (although admittedly they are a little down this year)

This team is truly special and if they stay healthy and win the rest of them they should go to the top of the all-time lists.

One of the local sports radio shows did an analysis of the current starters and players that make a sisgnificant contribution and estimated that about 26 players on this team will be drafted into the pros. That's an example of broad and deep the talent is. Plus, the coaches are so good they may be aliens.

If OU and USC make it to the sugar bowl it could be a great/classic game

Cato

sq764
11-09-2003, 07:17 AM
But you guys miss one fact.. Texas A&M sucks!

They got KILLED by Nebraska, KILLED by Texas Tech, KILLED by Virginia Tech.. They beat Arkansas State 26-11!

Oklahoma is the best team in the country, but let's not underemphasize how bad A&M is.

cj
11-09-2003, 09:48 AM
But look what they did to Texas and OSU, and will probably do to TT and Nebraska in the Big 12 Championship. They play them on the field, so time will tell.

cato
11-09-2003, 10:40 AM
I don't thnk anyone missed the fact tha Texas A&M sucks this year. Muy point, from watching a lot of football was that I had simply not seen a team dominate the other like this...ever. And while Texas A&M does suck, they are a major college program with some talent and a lot of tradition. It was not like dismantling a 1AA team.

They scored 77 points in the 1st 3 quarters. Most of their starters did not play the 2d half. They basically hada to try not to score in the 2d half. The q-back, Jason White hit his 1st 15 passes and did not event get a play in the 2d half. We did not throw a pass in the last 22 (+/- minutes or so).

My message really was simmply a note tha tI was there and it was the most significant domination of a football game I have ever witnessed.

And I am not trying to get into a hypothetical discussion of the best in the history of the world. If they do win out in an impressive fashion, they need to be considered among the best; and as CJ says, they are played out on the field and we will see how it unfolds.

Take care, Cato

sq764
11-09-2003, 11:02 AM
I agree with you 95%.. I just think that we have to keep it all in relative terms.

Let's face it, this year's college football strength is very weak. There are very few good teams in the entire country.

There are maybe 2-3 great teams this year, but from years past, you would have to up that to 5-10 great teams.

SAL
11-09-2003, 11:23 AM
Despite OU pulling starters and not trying to score, a guy on ESPN this morning was blasting the coach for running up the score. What are you supposed to do, kneel on every snap??

cj
11-09-2003, 11:27 AM
Think about this supporters of the BCS...we are dangerously close to having an undefeated team play a TWO loss team for the title. That is, unless you think TCU has a shot. In that case, they would be 50 point underdogs.

Let's say OU loses to a 2 loss team, who's the champion...get a playoff, please!

sq764
11-09-2003, 11:59 AM
That is why I love the I-AA playoffs..

My local team (University of Delaware) was 9-0 going into yesterday against Northeastern, who is pretty weak.. They lost their first game. Now in the BCS format, they would be screwed, even though they are one of the best 1-AA teams in the country. And this is a 1-AA team that beat Navy 2 weeks ago!

But with the playoff format, they are fine.

ceejay
11-09-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by SAL
Despite OU pulling starters and not trying to score, a guy on ESPN this morning was blasting the coach for running up the score. What are you supposed to do, kneel on every snap??

I saw that segment also. Lupica apparrently didn't watch the game or even read the box score. Quoting from http://www.newsok.com/cgi-bin/show_article?ID=1114292&TP=getsooners
Doing things the right way meant:

Not playing offensive starters in the second half.

Not throwing a pass in the final 25 minutes.

Taking a knee near the A&M goal line with 8:18 left

That doesn't sound like running up the score to me.

Lupica also said (I thought) that he won't vote for White for the Heisman because he threw for 5 TD passes. I guess he should have tried not to be 16 for 18 in 30 minutes....

cj
11-09-2003, 03:22 PM
Mike Lupica is a little weasel punk who probably never played a sport in his life!

freeneasy
11-09-2003, 09:35 PM
aww mike lupica is such a jerkbutt. if os was running up the score like he said then the final should have been 110-3. i had the game capped at os -51 but that game went into a whole 'nother deeemention. damn

sq764
11-09-2003, 10:30 PM
If you could pick a dream matchup of 2 teams from the last 20 years, who would it be?

I would vote 1995 Nebraska versus 1988 Notre Dame..

JustRalph
11-10-2003, 02:04 AM
http://www.msnbc.com/news/991367.asp?0cv=CB10

Magic Flutie leads Chargers to win

41-year-old sparks win over Vikings in 1st start of season

SAN DIEGO, Nov. 9 — Got Flutie? The San Diego Chargers do, and they finally used him from the start of a game. The payoff was phenomenal. Two weeks after turning 41, Doug Flutie juked his way to two touchdowns and threw for two more in his first start in nearly two years, leading the San Diego Chargers to a stunning 42-28 win over the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday.

Valuist
11-11-2003, 01:24 PM
Stoops is the best coach in college f-ball, but OU would NOT have beaten either 2000 or 2001 Miami, IMO. I remember hearing Butch Davis interviewed in 2000 about that team; he said there was basically 45 NFL players on that team. there's no way there's anywhere close to that w/OU's current team. But I'll give Stoops credit; there was no high draft picks on his team in 2000 that won the title. And FWIW, I *HATE* Miami.

Also, I guarantee Franchione will not ever forget this. He's a good coach himself, and when he gets a chance to payback a 77-0 ass-whippin, he will, and he should.

cj
11-11-2003, 01:45 PM
First off, the 2000 team didn't even win the Championship! They lost to an FSU team that OU thoroughly dominated in the big game. Not one person in the OKC area believes that team could beat this year's version, and that was before the season began! The 2001 Miami team was a great team, but I don't know that they are as good as the current OU team. For one, they had a walkover in the BCS title game. Nebraska didn't even play for the title of the Big 12, its ridiculous that they played for the national title. Colorado destroyed the Huskers, and in turn were destroyed by Oregon. The Ducks were the team Miami should have played. The three letters that explain why College hoops will always be better than College football...BCS.

By the way, I listened to Stoops press conference today, and he basically laughed off Lupica (Stoops: "some fiction writer") as he hasn't even seen the game. He said he refuses to apologize for playing well, last week or in the upcoming game....translation, lay the 53, OU will cover!

Valuist
11-11-2003, 02:02 PM
In 2000, Miami beat Florida State. Their only loss was at Washington. The 2001 version was as talented as any college team I've seen in over 30 years of watching. And like I said, I'm no fan of them but they we're the best I've seen. True, this OU team is better than the 2000 team but the 2000 version had a totally vanilla offense.

SAL
11-11-2003, 02:19 PM
Wow, I can't believe that I would think that a 53 point spread is not enough! But Stoops may be more aware of the running up accusations and lay off in this one. Reason enough to be scared of laying that many.

Valuist
11-11-2003, 03:09 PM
I had 10 year numbers on teams laying 35 or more pts; it was a 62% winner to go against the team laying that much. And teams that cover the spread by 20 or more pts in their previous game are notorious bad wagers (the human bounce) next time out.

sq764
11-11-2003, 10:09 PM
I just think this is another time, a weaker time for college football..
Remember back when Notre Dame beat Florida St and Charlie Ward? I think they were both better than any team out there today.

Don't get me wrong, OK is VERY GOOD, but who else is good out there? If USC loses, who the hell is #2?

On the other hand, its not OK's fault they are this much ahead of the curve, but to compare them with the greatest teams ever is relative, and I don't think that's being taken into account..

ceejay
11-12-2003, 02:28 PM
More evidence of OU's dominance:

The Sooners have only been behind in a game during 3:44 of the last 12 games (all in the UCLA game this year). [Source: 11/12/03 Daily Oklahoman].

Valuist, I think that you're mistaken in sayng that the OU 2000 offense was "vanilla." In fact, 2000 was the spread offense that Mike Leach took with him to Texas Tech. The 2003 offense is not a spread offense and is much more potent than 2000 (and the defense and speical teams are what won that championship).

Richard
11-12-2003, 09:26 PM
I'd still like to see a OU/USC game.No doubt in my mind such a game would be as good as anything you'd see on Sunday afternoon.

freeneasy
11-13-2003, 12:36 AM
you boys want to lay the wood and bet the sooners at -54 1/2 ?
theres not a man on the baylor bear ballclub thats jump'n up and down saying " lets go out there and give these sooner boys a supreior ass whip'n" instead what there probably doing is losing sleep and saying "well lets go out there, take our old fashion butt kick'n and get this one over with"
i got ok. capped and their cover is -61 1/2. kick em some ass boys.:D

superfecta
11-14-2003, 12:01 AM
Since he played at OU from 54-56 and went 31-0 as a player.So maybe this team is the best in recent memory,but OU was destroying teams (many triple digit wins)in the early days.Oh,and OU has never scored 50 points against Baylor at home.But that could change,I don't want to put any money on it tho...

freeneasy
11-14-2003, 05:52 PM
an i was looking at this one handicappers selections and he makes baylor his best bet and gives ok. a point! go figure?
made a mistake. got ok. by 64 1/2 and not -61 1/2

freeneasy
11-14-2003, 05:54 PM
go figure? i dont think so

Suff
11-14-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
Mike Lupica is a little weasel punk who probably never played a sport in his life!

Geez.. You really like that guy huh? Did You see that ND is now thinking ACC or Big Ten?

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2003/11/14/nd_speculation_piques_interest/

cj
11-14-2003, 09:40 PM
I've never been a fan of his. I'm certainly no fan of Oklahoma either, but he was way wrong on this one. To rip a team for running up the score without watching the game was bad enough. But to come back the next day, still not watch the game, and try to solidify your argument by reading the play sheet is crazy. Its like looking at a chart of a race and thinking its the same as watching a horse race live or on video.

Any guesses on the OU-Baylor score this weekend? Keep in mind...OU 77 - T A& M 0 and T A&M 73 - Baylor 10 :eek:

My prediction on the final score---Whatever the hell Bob Stoops decides it should be.

As for Notre Dame, they are grasping at straws. I grew up Catholic, and still am, but just never cared about the Irish. I was rooting hard for Navy last week. They would be hard pressed to compete in that league. Still trying to figure out which part of the coast they are on!

Valuist
11-15-2003, 12:07 AM
I think if Baylor gets one TD they are almost a guaranteed cover. There just is no margin for error to lay that many points. I remember betting UL-Monroe +55 against Florida a couple years ago. They got the early TD and then Fla put up around 53-54 straight after that but the UL-Monroe bettors cashed the tickets.

Teams that beat the spread by more than 20 pts tend to bounce the following week; teams that lay 35 or more cover about 38% of the time. Laying over 50 pts is insanity.

Valuist
11-15-2003, 12:20 AM
I decided to look up Sagarin's ratings, which he has archived going back to the 1998 season. Some interesting things; by rating, 2000 Oklahoma is actually superior to 2003. But, based on the gap to the 2nd team, 2003 OU is superior to 2000. And 2001 Miami does have the highest power rating.

2003:
Okie 100.0
USC 90.5
(everyone else really sux; 90.5 for 2nd is terrible)

2002:
USC 95.9
Miami 95.1
Ohio St 93.3 (champ)

Miami 106.4 (champ)
Florida 99.5

Oklahoma 101.6 (champ)
Miami 101.5

Florida State 102.0 (champ)
Nebraska 97.5

Ohio State 99.2
Tennessee 98.5 (champ)

cato
11-15-2003, 06:08 AM
If OU was fired up for the game, the would win at whatever number they choose. But my guess is they will be extremely flat and may not cover. In any event, I would stay away from betting the game. Its not a real "game"...the starters for OU wll play the first half, maybe; we probbaly will not throw but a few passes the 2d half, run conservative plays, etc.; so who knows how that translates into a score?

As to the Sagarin ratings, my guess is that if OU (or USC wins ot, there ratings willbe significantly higher after the Sugar Bowl. This OU team has a talent level tha is exponentially higher than the 2000 team

Cheers, Cato

cj
11-15-2003, 07:34 AM
Having Florida rated ahead of Oregon in 2001 tells me those ratings are garbage.

Valuist
11-17-2003, 11:03 PM
The bettors on Baylor clean up. The real result (ATS) was never in doubt.

sq764
11-17-2003, 11:12 PM
Ok, 3 lines that really threw me off this week in the NFL/College:

ND -8 to BYU??? What a joke

Cincy +6 vs KC? Someone knew something

Eagles -3 vs Giants?? (And Philly is at home??)

Valuist
11-18-2003, 11:00 AM
Agree on two; not on the Cincy game. Cincinnati is a solid team who now has a solid running game and Kitna is having a good year. KC is good but somewhat fraudulent; they were outgained and outfirst downed in a number of their wins; they only beat Den due to a very late punt return TD; they only beat GB because the Packers fell asleep late in the 2nd half; the were 1 yard away from being in OT against Oakland. Their run defense has been terrible. I could see them being an early playoff exit due to their porous run defense.

delayjf
11-18-2003, 03:26 PM
I too was impressed with OU's win, but I've got a gut feeling that if USC and OU played, USC would win. They have so much talent in California and they are able to turn it up a knotch when they want. Like Miami with its speed, they are always dangerous. I just have a feeling that OU is a team that plays great, but USC is a great team. By the way, I am an OU fan, but boy do I miss the wishbone.

Valuist
11-19-2003, 10:10 AM
I just checked the power ratings of a couple guys from the Sportswireonline site. Ted Sevransky has OU 4 pts better than USC and Rob Veno has OU 7.5 pts better than USC.

cj
11-22-2003, 07:47 PM
OU dominates again...travels to Texas Tech and destroys the same TT team that nearly tripped up Texas last week...this team is a juggernaut, and the Heisman is a done deal. Great story, guy misses two seasons with injuries then comes back to win the Heisman! I really am not an OU fan, but I love watching great teams in any sport.

PS...Go Terps, they own NC State, another 4th Q comeback win against the "great" Phillip Rivers...NOT!

sq764
12-06-2003, 11:16 PM
..or is he on a bridge somewhere :-)

freeneasy
12-06-2003, 11:46 PM
kanas just took it to em.. strapped em over the barrel and kept em there. kanas, to tough tonight.

Shacopate
12-07-2003, 03:59 AM
Ouch,

Looks like the BCS has it's work cut out. Maybe the controversy will inspire a PLAYOFF SYSTEM. College football is still the only sport that decides its champion based on opinons and computer generated formulas.

sq764
12-07-2003, 07:06 AM
Well, what's absolute crap is that if OU had lost their opener and not this game, they'd still have one loss and there would probably be no doubt about them going to the nat champ..

But why is a loss now worse than a loss in game 1? That is a serious flaw..

ranchwest
12-07-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by sq764
But why is a loss now worse than a loss in game 1?

Because now Zero U. put up fewer points on Kansas State than McNeese State did. Seems like a serious flaw to me.

sq764
12-07-2003, 08:54 AM
But the BCS rankings don't count margin of victory, or so they say.

cj
12-07-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by ranchwest
Because now Zero U. put up fewer points on Kansas State than McNeese State did. Seems like a serious flaw to me.

But they still beat the Horns like 175-6...again...ROFL. Have fun UT fans in another nothing bowl.

cj
12-07-2003, 09:06 AM
..or is he on a bridge somewhere :-)

I said in the beginning I'm no OU fan, just stationed here. I bleed Terrapin red.

ranchwest
12-07-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
But they still beat the Horns like 175-6...again...ROFL. Have fun UT fans in another nothing bowl.

No horns here. hehehe

sq764
12-07-2003, 09:36 AM
Oh Lord, not another Maryland fan!! :-)

My best friend went to Maryland and bleeds red too.. (Boy did I have fun with him when they lost to Northern Ill)

I live in Delaware, so I have my own mini-hometown team going to the I-AA semifinals. I love the playoff format they have..

ceejay
12-07-2003, 02:14 PM

My best friend went to Maryland and bleeds red too.. (Boy did I have fun with him when they lost to Northern Ill)

I live in Delaware, so I have my own mini-hometown team going to the I-AA semifinals. I love the playoff format they have..

And with some luck they could play my (first) alma mater (Colgate) in the finals.

sq764
12-07-2003, 02:39 PM
Speaking of Colgate.. (Insert toothpaste joke here)

What ever happened to that 'great' basketball player they had? Is he in the NBA?

ranchwest
12-07-2003, 03:34 PM

Good luck with Delaware. They seem to have a strong team.

But don't look up what happened the last time the Twerps, oops, Terps played those orange horns.

ceejay
12-07-2003, 05:02 PM
Speaking of Colgate.. (Insert toothpaste joke here)

What ever happened to that 'great' basketball player they had? Is he in the NBA?

Don't know. I don't follow the NBA at all.